Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Income Inequality
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Income Inequality (Read 1699 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Income Inequality
Reply #110 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 1:13am
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 29th, 2018 at 4:41pm:
Opposition, how about answering my questions?  Why do you say illegals have the right to be here?  Do you and I have the right to settle in any country without their government's permission?

Yes, you do.

https://www.lp.org/platform/
Quote:
3.4 Free Trade and Migration

We support the removal of governmental impediments to free trade. Political freedom and escape from tyranny demand that individuals not be unreasonably constrained by government in the crossing of political boundaries. Economic freedom demands the unrestricted movement of human as well as financial capital across national borders.

Obviously you won't be allowed to do so in actuality, and obviously any country that allows other countries' citizens free migration will have its population displaced, but there is a right to travel.

It's simply one of those rights that will disadvantage and destroy the first person to respect it.

RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 29th, 2018 at 9:09pm:
I hope I don't have to turn in my Libertarian card for saying this, but I do think tax money is necessary for educating children.  I'd hate to see poor children fall through the cracks.  Education is their best bet for getting out of poverty.

Nobody will agree with me for saying this, but "good" jobs are a zero-sum game. Not everybody can win. Not everyone can have a job that pays better than average.

Someone has to be a garbage man. If you make the effort to lift the poor kid out of poverty, and consciously advantage him to get a good job, the next poorest person (who paid for his own education) now has to be the garbage man.

All you just did (provided the natural aptitude of these kids was equal) was waste the second kid's parents' college money.

I'd like to discuss this further tomorrow.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #111 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
SkyChief, I'm willing to be called a, "Republitarian."

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #112 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Opposition, I know Libertarians want a world where everyone is a citizen of Earth, not any particular country, and that all countries had an open border policy.  And all respected individual liberty.  Unfortunately, that isn't the world we live in.  If we can't settle in other countries without jumping through their beuracratic hoops, why should foreigners be allowed to do so here?  No one has the right to settle in any country of their choosing without getting permission from that country.  And if they don't have open borders, why should we?

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #113 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 30th, 2018 at 1:13am:
Nobody will agree with me for saying this, but "good" jobs are a zero-sum game.
Dolt. What is your definition of a good job?

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #114 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 30th, 2018 at 1:29pm:
Opposition, I know Libertarians want a world where everyone is a citizen of Earth, not any particular country, and that all countries had an open border policy.  And all respected individual liberty.  Unfortunately, that isn't the world we live in.  If we can't settle in other countries without jumping through their beuracratic hoops, why should foreigners be allowed to do so here?  No one has the right to settle in any country of their choosing without getting permission from that country.  And if they don't have open borders, why should we?
I bet you could get into Somalia pretty easily, or any country in the throes of revolution and anarchy and war.

I'm not recommending it...

BTW, in the heyday of classical liberalism, people were pretty much free to go anywhere without papers stay wherever they went if they liked it there.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #115 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 30th, 2018 at 1:29pm:

Because it is right. Those other governments are aggressing against us, yes.

But you don't get the right to aggress against Paul because Peter aggressed against you. Even if this makes it fairer to you, you can't do this.

Theft perpetuated against you does not justify you to steal from others.

I willingly admit that open borders is doom. Well, so is not stealing if every crumb you have is stolen. It doesn't matter. The NAP justifies defensive force only. It doesn't allow you to steal in a world where everybody steals or close your borders in a world where everyone else closes theirs.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #116 - May 1st, 2018 at 9:02am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 30th, 2018 at 11:29pm:
Because it is right. Those other governments are aggressing against us, yes.

You think if I tell you to keep off of my property, that I am "aggressing" against you? Cheesy

IP Logged

JW
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #117 - May 1st, 2018 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Billie wrote on May 1st, 2018 at 9:02am:
You think if I tell you to keep off of my property, that I am "aggressing" against you? Cheesy

If I remember your story right, I believe you called the police on the man who was NOT on your property at all.  That is; you spent other people's taxpayer dollars to shoo away someone who offended you from afar.

That's progressivism.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #118 - May 1st, 2018 at 9:49am
Print Post  
JW wrote on May 1st, 2018 at 9:38am:
If I remember your story right, I believe you called the police on the man who was NOT on your property at all.  That is; you spent other people's taxpayer dollars to shoo away someone who offended you from afar.

That's progressivism.
He was threatening my life and the lives of everyone in my home and also threatening to burn my house to the ground because he hates people of my race.

That was disturbing my peace while bragging that he already had two felony convictions. He kept up his ranting death threats for at least 45 minutes.

And he did get a baseball bat out of his trunk and come on to my property while brandishing the bat and threatening to beat me to death.

It is in fact actually connected with human progress and civilization to have police deal with that type of person, rather than having to just shoot them, which is messy and results in a body that you need to dispose of and can lead to vendettas and inter-tribal warfare...

Anyway, what he did was assault in the eyes of the law, and the racial element that he chose to inject into his threats makes it a felony in my state. Personally, I don't think "racial hate crimes" are any different than non-racial crimes, but that's the law in my state.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #119 - May 1st, 2018 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Billie wrote on May 1st, 2018 at 9:49am:
He was threatening my life and the lives of everyone in my home and also threatening to burn my house to the ground because he hates people of my race.

That was disturbing my peace while bragging that he already had two felony convictions. He kept up his ranting death threats for at least 45 minutes.

And he did get a baseball bat out of his trunk and come on to my property while brandishing the bat and threatening to beat me to death.

It is in fact actually connected with human progress and civilization to have police deal with that type of person, rather than having to just shoot them, which is messy and results in a body that you need to dispose of and can lead to vendettas and inter-tribal warfare...

Anyway, what he did was assault in the eyes of the law, and the racial element that he chose to inject into his threats makes it a felony in my state. Personally, I don't think "racial hate crimes" are any different than non-racial crimes, but that's the law in my state.

Why would I have to dispose of such a body?   I never agreed to that Buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Income Inequality
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy