Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Income Inequality
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Income Inequality (Read 2501 times)
RubyHypatia
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Income Inequality
Reply #40 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
They don't like to admit it, but this is quite true.  Can you imagine the uproar from the Dems if poor immigrants voted Republican?

Then it would be the Dems building the wall.

Quote:
Blame Lady Liberty: 

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Did she mean all of them?  Who the hell wrote those words?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #41 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 10th, 2018 at 7:28pm:
Did she mean all of them?  Who the hell wrote those words?

American poet Emma Lazarus wrote The New Colossus in 1883 to raise money for the construction of the pedestal which the Statue of Liberty now stands on. The builders thought it would be apropriate to include Lazarus' sonnet on a bronze plaque at the base of the statue.

The pedestal was fully funded in August, 1885.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 10th, 2018 at 7:17pm:
So anyone who thinks people shouldn't break the law by illegally moving to another country is a racist?  That's a hell of a lot of racists.

The bar is pretty high now, yes. You have to think of it in terms of being a bad law. Yes, people should oppose it. The modern day heroes who do so are those like Governor Brown who oppose the law by creating sanctuary cities.

RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 10th, 2018 at 7:17pm:
It's not just Americans who believe all immigrants (no matter their color) should be legal, but people in other countries feel the same way.  Why are we not allowed to say who gets to come in and who can't?  Other countries get to protect their borders, why can't we?  America already has about 20% of the world's immigrants, isn't that enough?  That means America has the highest percentage of the world's immigrants.  The country with the second highest percentage is Germany with about 5%.  Huge difference between the highest and second highest. 

Those other countries do not "get to" keep out immigrants either. They, also, are morally in the wrong for denying the right to travel.

The real reason America actually takes in so many is not because of morality; it's because the elites in control of the nation are more unscrupulous, wanting to import labour without importing jobs in order to drive down the cost of labour. Oh, they'll raise minimum wage as a token gesture, but in the 1940's you could feed a family of four on a plumber's salary. The reason you can't do that now is that the supply of labour has increased without the supply of jobs increasing at the same rate. Partly it's our birth rates (the poor having more babies is also encouraged and subsidised by the government in the form of welfare) and partly it's immigration.

There's also an issue not a lot of people like to talk about of people in government resenting white people and wanting white populations to be displaced. Some of these people had great-grandparents murdered wholesale in the Holocaust and still experience the lasting effects of that trauma today, so it's understandable resentment and I'm not blaming anyone... but you did ask why, and this is a part of the reason, whether people like it or not.

The reason is not relevant, however. The right to travel is a right. If Walmart wants to import 500,000 illegal workers, and they are willing to take the jobs, and Walmart is willing to pay them, it is an act of aggression to stop them.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #43 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Quote:
No American will lift a finger for starvation wages Dagny.
Neither will Venezuelans I suppose, but Venezuelans will watch gangs of their children organize to fight over the right to pick the dumps for food, because they have no choice.

And starving/starved North Korean boat people will continue to wash up on the shores of Japan, probably because North Koreans aren't willing to lift a finger for starvation wages either?

Who was it that said "He who does not work shall not eat"? Marx wasn't it? He saw it as a great unjust flaw in the local society of his time that workers were forced to support non-workers.

Just because he misunderstood the economic system he was criticizing doesn't mean his dream of a just society was wrong does it?

Marx saw crony owners of government favored businesses getting rich without having to work and clearly saw that it was unjust to make working people support the idle.

That insight is just as valid today as it was in Marx's time, but to imagine that Marx intended to create a new and different "class" of people who would live off the fruits of the labor of others is nonsense.

Here is a short illumination of the theory in its original form-

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-politicalscience/chapter/the-welfare...

This brief statement outlines the reasoning behind the theory-

"His paternalistic programs won the support of German industry because its goals were to win the support of the working class for the German Empire and reduce the outflow of immigrants to the United States, where wages were higher but welfare did not exist."

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #44 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
I have no problem with controlling immigration.  Illegals are costing us a lot of money.  That's a problem.  How can we keep them from being moochers?  We have too many moochers as it is.  Why import more?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #45 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 11th, 2018 at 8:20pm:
Illegals are costing us a lot of money...  That's a problem...  Why import more?

Votes for Democrats. 

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 11th, 2018 at 8:20pm:
I have no problem with controlling immigration.  Illegals are costing us a lot of money.  That's a problem.  How can we keep them from being moochers?  We have too many moochers as it is.  Why import more?

They prove themselves to be very reliable and productive workers. Better than Americans and statistically safer to live with than Americans.
You're only real complaint is that they aren't white people and that's because you're a racist bitch.

Keep it coming Ruby, you're always a delight in the way you broadcast your racist hate.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #47 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Votes for Democrats.

Agreed.  I know they're, "undocumented democrats."  Dems care more abut their own power than they do about our poor American citizens, who are disproportionately black.  Notice Dems don't want to allow school choice either, keep those minorities poor and uneducated so they're always dependent on the government, and voting Democrat.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #48 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I don't care what color illegal immigrants are, I care that they cost American taxpayers billions of dollars each year. 

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/homeland-security/352869-the-cost-of-ille...
FAIR found that while illegal immigrants pay billions of dollars in taxes every year, they ultimately cost taxpayers more than seven times what they contribute. The study found that illegal immigrants pay almost $19 billion annually in combined federal, state and local taxes. This estimate is actually considerably higher than what many studies before this have suggested. However, the amount of taxes illegal immigrants pay is dwarfed by the considerable costs that they impose on American taxpayers: nearly $135 billion annually, creating a net deficit of $116 billion.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #49 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 12th, 2018 at 5:52pm:
I don't care what color illegal immigrants are, I care that they cost American taxpayers billions of dollars each year. 

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/homeland-security/352869-the-cost-of-ille...
FAIR found that while illegal immigrants pay billions of dollars in taxes every year, they ultimately cost taxpayers more than seven times what they contribute. The study found that illegal immigrants pay almost $19 billion annually in combined federal, state and local taxes. This estimate is actually considerably higher than what many studies before this have suggested. However, the amount of taxes illegal immigrants pay is dwarfed by the considerable costs that they impose on American taxpayers: nearly $135 billion annually, creating a net deficit of $116 billion.
How much do S.S. Medicare and Medicaid and all sorts of welfare programs cost for official legal Citizens... I think it's about a $ trillion/year now. Compared to that, $116 building is a rounding error. Various Executive branch Departments and Agencies lose (can't account for) more than $116 billion a month...

Don't concentrate so much on the "little" stuff. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Income Inequality
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy