Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Replication Crises
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 84 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Replication Crises (Read 6976 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Replication Crises
Reply #640 - May 14th, 2018 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 3:20pm:
If an engineer doesn't feel like making blueprints, that "allows" a draftsman to do it instead.  Again, the draftsman had the right all along to make as many blueprints as he felt like and had the equipment for, but there was no reason to if the engineer was going to make them.

She has you trying to explain the multiple meanings of the word allow. I just thought you should know that.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #641 - May 15th, 2018 at 8:49am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 10:39pm:
She has you trying to explain the multiple meanings of the word allow. I just thought you should know that.
The way Red used the word "allow" was really rather absurd. He was just trying to cover up the ignorance he exposed earlier.

Both psychologists and psychiatrists have always been "allowed" to talk to patients, and patients have always been "allowed" to talk to either or both. If you want to schedule alternating appointments and talk to both psychologists and psychiatrists, you can, and if one or the other doesn't want to talk to you, call another one and make an appointment.

The question that gave rise to Red's nonsense was related to referrals, which can also be accomplished by either or both or anyone, but if you want to be prescribed mind altering drugs, you have to see a  psychiatrist, who will be an MD and thus authorized to prescribe drugs.

I'm not certain of the process that ends with school children being prescribed mind altering drugs, but am pretty sure that psychiatrists are involved, since psychologists can't prescribe drugs.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #642 - May 15th, 2018 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 10:39pm:

Yes, we can all see that.  This is part of the disability though.  AU folks are noted for believing that the first definition of a word they learn is the only definition.  You see this in many, if not most, of the arguments Billie makes.

This is exactly the kind of thing I consult with schools about - teaching students who are difficult to teach due to disabilities.  Personally dealing with someone like Billie helps me remember what the teachers of these students go through in trying to help them.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #643 - May 15th, 2018 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 6:12pm:
It depends. If you are a bad Engineer and an asshole, the Draftsman probably won't help you. There are obligations.

I also know about bad Draftsman and bad Engineers (Architectural in specific), but in the instance, am convinced it was a lazy incompetent architect that was an asshole too, so his Draftsmen followed his instructions to the letter and made him look like an ass.

Architects =/= engineers.

This whole line of argument is even dumber than when you were trying to convince us that Jefferson and Lincoln were abolitionists.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #644 - May 15th, 2018 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 1:11pm:
Architects =/= engineers.

Architects engineer buildings.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #645 - May 15th, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Anyway Red, as an independent researcher, how would I go about replicating a diagnosis of "on the Autism scale"?

That's what replication to validate research and ideas is all about, being able to replicate it.

In real sciences, the procedures that were used are published with the data and conclusions. People will replicate your test (or find they can't) and either validate your test or say they can't.

Does "mind science" do that?

I've read the results and procedures of quite a few mind science experiments, but they all seemed to me to amount to nothing more than subjective conclusions drawn from observing people and speculating about what's going on.

Philosophers do it better.

How many years have you spent as a graduate assistant teaching psych 101?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #646 - May 15th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 4:49pm:
Anyway Red, as an independent researcher, how would I go about replicating a diagnosis of "on the Autism scale"?

Easy as pie.  Go to another psychologist and see if that one also says you're on the autism spectrum.

Quote:
That's what replication to validate research and ideas is all about, being able to replicate it.

Right.  So, go to as many psychologists as you like and see if they all say the same.

Quote:
In real sciences, the procedures that were used are published with the data and conclusions. People will replicate your test (or find they can't) and either validate your test or say they can't.

Does "mind science" do that?

Yep.  That's what we do in research psychology.  What's your point again?  That many of the experiments in psychology have turned out to be not replicated when research psychologists repeat them but by then the results of the first study have already been published?  That this caused the ignorant public to be misled?  That it is becoming a crisis?

By ALLAH, that's genius!  I should start a thread about that!  I think I'll call the thread . . . "the replication crises?"

Quote:
I've read the results and procedures of quite a few mind science experiments, but they all seemed to me to amount to nothing more than subjective conclusions drawn from observing people and speculating about what's going on.

You haven't seen the results and procedures of any experiments or you would have listed them instead of those "Psychology Today" pieces you cling to.

Quote:
Philosophers do it better.

That's what those Greek knob slobberers said!

Quote:
How many years have you spent as a graduate assistant teaching psych 101?

At my college, the make the full professors teach those so the undergrads think they’re getting their money's worth.   The advanced degree seekers do TA classes, but I have plenty of teaching experience so I don't need that ticket punch.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2018 at 8:16am by Snarky Sack »  

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #647 - May 16th, 2018 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 8:01pm:
Yep.  That's what we do in research psychology.  What's your point again?  That many of the experiments in psychology have turned out to be not replicated when research psychologists repeat them but by then the results of the first study have already been published?  That this caused the ignorant public to be misled?  That it is becoming a crisis?

My point really is that "mental disorders" are called "mental disorders" based on subjective judgements about human behavior.

If your behavior is acceptable in the time and place you live in, you are "normal". If your behavior is not acceptable in the time and place you live in, you have a "mental disorder".

As I keep saying, belief in God in communist systems is considered a break with reality indicative of a mental disorder. Any psychologist that believes God and Faith in God is a fantasy will agree that Belief is a break with reality, a sign of a mental disorder.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #648 - May 16th, 2018 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 7:51am:
My point really is that "mental disorders" are called "mental disorders" based on subjective judgements about human behavior.
Yes, you've said that many times and you've been wrong each one.  You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.  An autistic person is diagnosed as such, not based on subjective judgements, but based on observations of specified behavior.  That's no different from diagnosing a person with cancer or HIV based on specified criteria.

Quote:
If your behavior is acceptable in the time and place you live in, you are "normal". If your behavior is not acceptable in the time and place you live in, you have a "mental disorder".

That has been true in an extremely limited number of cases in which psychologists have allowed themselves to be swayed by politics and culture.  For example, you believe that homosexuality is normal but that transgenderism is a mental illness.  Each of those beliefs is based on politics and culture, not any knowledge of psychology.

Quote:
As I keep saying, belief in God in communist systems is considered a break with reality indicative of a mental disorder.

Breaking news for you:  Communists lie and they force people under their control to lie also.  Neither the Party bosses, nor the psychologists in a communist country actually believe that.

Quote:
Any psychologist that believes God and Faith in God is a fantasy will agree that Belief is a break with reality, a sign of a mental disorder.

I've met many psychologists who were atheists and some who believe religion is harmful.  But I've never met a psychologists who believes that belief in God is a mental disorder.

Again, you can have your own opinion, but that one is in contradiction to facts.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #649 - May 16th, 2018 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 8:44am:
Yes, you've said that many times and you've been wrong each one.  You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.  An autistic person is diagnosed as such, not based on subjective judgements, but based on observations of specified behavior.  That's no different from diagnosing a person with cancer or HIV based on specified criteria.

It is different.

What causes HIV is known and can be tested for.

Observing symptoms of HIV (which are not the same of everyone) will lead to a test that will show whether or not you actually have HIV, and if you do, their are known efficacious ways to treat it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 84
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Replication Crises
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy