Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Replication Crises
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Replication Crises (Read 7038 times)
Don_G
Ex Member

Re: The Replication Crises
Reply #810 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 7th, 2018 at 3:22pm:
What we have here is a failure to communicate, I believe I have provided examples and you refuse to accept them as examples for reasons. 

I don't know of any examples you've provided and I don't even know what side of the debate you expect mt to take. Really!

I'm only assuming that you are saying that leftist believe people are born as blank slates.

If so then I would favour that theory as much as would be reasonable. But would it be reasonable to also say that people are born hardwired?

Both would be true in my opinion. That's why I'm lost on your intention without an example or two.

I'm the straight guy here ahhell, as are you to a large degree. you've hardly said anything about libertarianism to change that impression. I think we're going to disagree on very little and that which we do disagree upon, we can likely find some mutual common ground. It's not all that complicated!

I know your position on building 7 for example. You make mockery of the bullshit nonsense nearly all the others vomit. If you didn't then I would just tar you with the same brush as the rest of them.

BobK excepted with caution. He doesn't like to say very much?

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #811 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I don't know of any examples you've provided and I don't even know what side of the debate you expect mt to take. Really!

At this point Dong, no one expects you to say anything relevant to anything.

My advice is for you to let thermie be your MASTER. Say what thermie "nudges" you to say, and nothing else.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #812 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 1:08pm:
It is just a figure of speech that should be avoided.   The only intent needed is the intent to survive and breed. 

Dolphins have a dorsal blow hole because those that had less trouble breathing while in the water were more successful breeders.

I've spent a while thinking about whether I should argue that this figure of speech isn't even incorrect.

Figures of speech cover a lot of extremely illogical and extremely untrue ways to describe things, but they often work well to simplify and shorten big concepts into easily understandable concepts.

This particular instance has the untidy implication that religion - intelligent design - is true.

I emphasise the intelligent bit because you might even say it's still design even if there's no intelligence behind it.

Just FYI, I haven't made a decision.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #813 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 12:55am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 7th, 2018 at 1:08pm:
I meant that in my experience its more common for a lefty to think that there really isn't "human nature" that our behavior is really determined by our culture and environment with little or no impact from genetics.

I agree that Leftists tend to think this.

It's because they have to, for their absolute equality in every facet of everything bullshit to make sense.

Why do some groups underachieve? Well it must be your fault, you devil, because it's certainly not genetics!

There's nothing about Leftism that really demands this thinking except that they need it as a premise to prove their foregone conclusions, so they insist it's true.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Dong
Ex Member

Reply #814 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 1:16am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 7th, 2018 at 1:08pm:
I meant that in my experience its more common for a lefty to think that there really isn't "human nature" that our behavior is really determined by our culture and environment with little or no impact from genetics.  I think righties are more likely to think that our nature can't be changed regardless.

I missed that but I'm glad I've finally found it. It's finally an explanation of what you're thinking on the blank slate thing.

The statement just leaves me cold. I don't know if I agree or disagree with it? A couple of examples would be helpful.

So righties are more toward thinking it's mostly mostly nature that makes us who we are and lefties think it's more nurture.

Which is exactly opposite to political opiniin on the left or the right.

I think you might have walked into a discussion that you wish you could get out of now.

Forget it with me.

IP Logged

Dong
Ex Member

Reply #815 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 1:22am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 12:55am:
I agree that Leftists tend to think this.

It's because they have to, for their absolute equality in every facet of everything bullshit to make sense.

Why do some groups underachieve? Well it must be your fault, you devil, because it's certainly not genetics!

There's nothing about Leftism that really demands this thinking except that they need it as a premise to prove their foregone conclusions, so they insist it's true.

None of that makes the least bit of sense, and there have been no examples of it to substantiate it.

As usual, you go off into the weeds in a semi-liberate babbling fukking song and dance.

Any and all the shit you assholes spew makes about as much sense as your building 7 imagined conspiracy.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #816 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 7:24am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 7th, 2018 at 6:46pm:
Like most people, I've changed a lot. Going back to your marathon example, I've gone from not being able to run a few miles to running half marathons.   Did I choose to do that?
Unless someone forced you to do it, yes.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #817 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 7:28am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 12:55am:

Yes, your genetics made you short, so you will be an underachiever in the NBA, but they also made you a supergenius, so you can be an overachiever in other fields... If you bother to learn. Smiley

Much of it depends on what you view as an achievement and that depends very much on what you value.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #818 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 7:24am:
Unless someone forced you to do it, yes.

I have yet to see a strong argument for why "choice" is not just an illusion.

IP Logged

Dong
Ex Member

Reply #819 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 11:48am:
I have yet to see a strong argument for why "choice" is not just an illusion. 

No wonder, when it's stated in that sort of ethereal way. What were you hoping for, a hardcover with 1000 or more pages that contains 30 chapters on various choices being illusory?

How about deciding to stand up and fly to another town?

or

How about deciding to turn the page or go to another thread?

I'll test the latter right now!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Replication Crises
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy