Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Replication Crises
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Replication Crises (Read 5693 times)
ahhell
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Replication Crises
Reply #820 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 12:11pm:
No wonder, when it's stated in that sort of ethereal way. What were you hoping for, a hardcover with 1000 or more pages that contains 30 chapters on various choices being illusory?

How about deciding to stand up and fly to another town?

or

How about deciding to turn the page or go to another thread?

I'll test the latter right now!
Still might all be an illusion.  There may be no real possibility of you not turning the page. 

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #821 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 12:23pm:
Still might all be an illusion.  There may be no real possibility of you not turning the page. 

I turned the page and I'm back with you. Are you attempting to take this to another level in which you are the only living being and everything else has been created for your benefit. It's not a new theory of course. Otherwise, you're full of shit and at a loss to follow through on your theories.

Any real life examples now?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #822 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 12:34pm:
I turned the page and I'm back with you. Are you attempting to take this to another level in which you are the only living being and everything else has been created for your benefit. It's not a new theory of course. Otherwise, you're full of shit and at a loss to follow through on your theories.

Any real life examples now?

I'm not a solipist.  I'm merely saying that my perceptions(nor yours) are reliable.  When we think we've made a choice we make actually just be rationalizing something that would happen regardless of our intent. 

In a very simple example.  If folks are told to report their mood then told to hold a particular expression* then asked to report their mood again, they will often report their mood has changed to match the expression.  If folks are told to look into each others eyes and smile, they will report being more attracted to the other person than they were when the first saw them.  There are many other examples of the "Mind" following the the body rather than the other way around.

*by describing the physical aspects of the expression. Instead of being told to frown they will be told to turn the edges of their mouths down or what not.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #823 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 2:45pm:
I'm not a solipist.  I'm merely saying that my perceptions(nor yours) are reliable.  When we think we've made a choice we make actually just be rationalizing something that would happen regardless of our intent. 

You're a sock puppet. You've already made that clear.

Do you know your controller? Are you imagining that your genes, or your society controls you? They forced you to train to run marathons?

Tell me more, thanks.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #824 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 11:48am:
I have yet to see a strong argument for why "choice" is not just an illusion. 
That's because no argument is needed. Even prey animals make choices, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

What's your favorite alcoholic beverage?

Who is forcing you to drink it?

You choose to drink it. If you are responding to peer pressure, you choose to drink what you drink for a perceived purpose.

Edit: In another thread, Dink proved that Tinkerbell doesn't exist! That means he could probably easily prove that choice is an illusion.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #825 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I happened to think, pistachio nuts have evolved to split open when they are roasted to perfection, thus insuring that people will plant and nurture and protect and propagate them, because they have also evolved to taste really good to humans when they are roasted to perfection. Smiley

I think a prayer is in order!

Arise!

Praise the pistachio for evolving just right!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #826 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
If you fall into the grips of these highly evolved nuts, become addicted to them, your only legal recourse will be to sue the people who are compelled to grow them, and you can't win, because the highly evolved nuts control them too!

There is nothing promising at all to do other than suing the nuts themselves, and that's nuts! Cheesy

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #827 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 7:28am:
Yes, your genetics made you short, so you will be an underachiever in the NBA, but they also made you a supergenius, so you can be an overachiever in other fields... If you bother to learn. Smiley

Much of it depends on what you view as an achievement and that depends very much on what you value.

Here's my point: If you were going to claim that the reason I can't succeed in the NBA is someone else's fault, you'd need to push the idea that everyone is born able to achieve the same height and someone starved me or something.

Though I probably wouldn't have realised my towering intellectual potential if that happened. *Shrug*

Leftists need to push the idea that genetics don't exist, so they can gain political power from the idea that when someone fails, it's everyone else's fault.

If it's the fault of a bunch of proteins, enzymes, and peptides, it's kinda hard to blame everyone else and subsequently justify punishing them.

ahhell wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 2:45pm:

In a very simple example.  If folks are told to report their mood then told to hold a particular expression* then asked to report their mood again, they will often report their mood has changed to match the expression.  If folks are told to look into each others eyes and smile, they will report being more attracted to the other person than they were when the first saw them.  There are many other examples of the "Mind" following the the body rather than the other way around.

*by describing the physical aspects of the expression. Instead of being told to frown they will be told to turn the edges of their mouths down or what not.

Yep. They made people furrow their brows as if sad, then look at stuff.

The stuff seemed sadder to them.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #828 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 10:26pm:
Here's my point: If you were going to claim that the reason I can't succeed in the NBA is someone else's fault, you'd need to push the idea that everyone is born able to achieve the same height and someone starved me or something.

Though I probably wouldn't have realised my towering intellectual potential if that happened. *Shrug*

Leftists need to push the idea that genetics don't exist, so they can gain political power from the idea that when someone fails, it's everyone else's fault.

If it's the fault of a bunch of proteins, enzymes, and peptides, it's kinda hard to blame everyone else and subsequently justify punishing them.

Yep. They made people furrow their brows as if sad, then look at stuff.

The stuff seemed sadder to them.

Were your mother, who you hate, and your father either brother and sister or were they fist cousins? This could account for the reason why you're a mutt with bad breeding.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #829 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 6:04pm:
I happened to think, pistachio nuts have evolved to split open when they are roasted to perfection, thus insuring that people will plant and nurture and protect and propagate them, because they have also evolved to taste really good to humans when they are roasted to perfection. Smiley

I think a prayer is in order!

Arise!

Praise the pistachio for evolving just right!

Alas, a roasted pistachio will never take seed.   Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Replication Crises
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy