Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Ideological Possession
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ideological Possession (Read 445 times)
Tom Palven
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Ideological Possession
Apr 3rd, 2018 at 3:30am
Print Post  

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Ideological Possession
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 3:46am
Print Post  
The possessed advocates worse treatment of people within a specified group than others. (P: “Straight white men have privilege and so should have their opinions discounted or suppressed.” L: “People who work for the state initiate violence, and it is ok to use violence against those who initiate violence.” C: “People who burn the flag are traitors and should be punished as such.”)

Billie wrote on Dec 23rd, 2017 at 7:52am:
Slaughtering animals for food according to religious prescripts is not animal abuse.
Slaughtering animals in the same way for fun would be.

Too subtle for you?

merkelstan wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 11:15pm:
Rothbard's criteria makes more sense, because not only does the entity have to demonstrate conscious thought, it needs to understand the concept of rights and demand them for itself.

Amusingly, The Opposition would fail that test.  I still can't get-over what a mental trainwreck his (her?) "concept" of rights was.

Billie wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 7:49am:
You have no more rights than an animal, because your understanding of rights is at the level of a predatory animal.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Apr 3rd, 2018 at 3:30am:
Is this connected to the recent spate of Exorcisms I've read about?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Its not new but its probably useful to do know that folks will often let ideology trump reality regardless of the content of the ideology.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 1:04pm
Print Post  

Very interesting Tom, I'm going to keep that one for reference purposes.

On the 'Major Symptoms' and the 'Minor Symptoms', Craig Sickler (jeff, billie) came to mind several times.

Not that he comes to mind when he's being serious but when he's being arrogant, abusive, or trying to exaggerate. It makes me wonder of the symptoms apply more to the subconscious mind than the conscious.

Although he's characterized many on this forum as evil, lizard brain, and on and on.

In fairness to Sickler, he's also trying to elicit responses because his life is this forum and he wants constant attention.

There are other  good points in the article besides those that apply to Sickler, but there's no doubt he's the one who comes to mind the most IMO.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  

It's tongue-in-cheek, Tom.  It's a witty way to poke fun at libertarians - and very well done, I should say.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Apr 3rd, 2018 at 10:42am:
Its not new but its probably useful to do know that folks will often let ideology trump reality regardless of the content of the ideology.

The kicker is that ideology does trump reality.

If you can somehow bring about a paradise by murdering, it's still wrong to murder.

Last night I was rather happy about what the article said, but I thought about it and realised that it's a really stupid article.

People should be ideologically possessed. Good results or bad results don't change right and wrong. This isn't being "blind to reality" (though it may also be that) - this is being committed to doing the right thing.

...Unless of course they base their philosophy of right and wrong on results and then still insist on being blind to the results.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 3rd, 2018 at 1:23pm:
It's tongue-in-cheek, Tom.  It's a witty way to poke fun at libertarians - and very well done, I should say.

I kind of suspect it might be tongue-in-cheek, too, but I he may be laughing with libertarians since he elevated them up on a par with liberals and conservatives.

And while the term "ideological possession" is really cool and clever, it's not a new concept.  Thinking it over it seems that Eric Hoffer talked about this in his book The True Believer, 1951.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Apr 3rd, 2018 at 5:20pm:
I kind of suspect it might be tongue-in-cheek, too, but I he may be laughing with libertarians since he elevated them up on a par with liberals and conservatives.

And while the term "ideological possession" is really cool and clever, it's not a new concept.  Thinking it over it seems that Eric Hoffer talked about this in his book The True Believer, 1951.
Ha ha! Libertarians are the ideological heirs of the classical liberals. In modern times, classical liberal thought has been expanded upon and improved extensively.

"Conservatives" as far as I can tell have always been either "progressives" (if they were "elites") or "reactionaries" if they were peasants.

No denying that the occasional reactionary peasant won't be "progressive". Stalin is a prime example of this. Cry

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Apr 3rd, 2018 at 5:20pm:

Quote:
...while the term "ideological possession" is really cool and clever, it's not a new concept.  Thinking it over it seems that Eric Hoffer talked about this in his book The True Believer, 1951.

You might be on to something, here.  Good call.

"[Hoffer] argues that even when their stated goals or values differ, mass movements are interchangeable, that adherents will often flip from one movement to another, and that the motivations for mass movements are interchangeable."

(I added the bold)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Ideological Possession
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy