Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Ideological Possession
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ideological Possession (Read 441 times)
Billie
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Ideological Possession
Reply #30 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 8:43am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 4th, 2018 at 10:11pm:
It is simply possible that libertarianism, through the way it handles common resources, mandates ruin.
As usual, your ideology prevents you from examining the empirical evidence, all of which indicates that economic liberty under a rule of law does an excellent job of "handling common resources" and that the alternative, government control of "common resources" leads to ruin.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
X, because it's the right thing to do.

Over a long enough time span, everything results in everything. You can't declare an action immoral because of the result.

Killing one person is still wrong even if it will save thousands. Even if it would save billions.

Without absolutes... there. is. no. morality.

Morality exists to help us choose between right and wrong. It's a system of rules for doing that. If everything is just by the situation, to bring about the best result, morality is an entirely worthless concept.

I know you didn't say morality was a matter of consequences. I am saying morality is not a matter of consequences.

Yes it does.

Before he does anything wrong, it's murder. After, it's justice. Ask those idiots in the unexamining majority if they would kill him in his cradle.

It is simply possible that libertarianism, through the way it handles common resources, mandates ruin. Open borders certainly mandates ruin. I'm fine with that. I don't have to be a denialist to save my ideology. I simply insist that it is moral no matter the result.

Well done Oppo! Seriously!

I'll conclude it with just saying that killing one person to save others is still murder, in the sense in which it's being considered. And your explanations of 'morality' explains the rest.

I had already formed that conclusion and it's likely that ahhell did too. But nevertheless, your explanations served some good for the others.

Except Sickler who is more interested in spamming the board.

However, you've often given him reason to do that. Why not stop doing that?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Without absolutes... there. is. no. morality.
I absolutely disagree with this.  There's not much more to talk about on that subject really.  Our initial premises are just different. 

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Apr 5th, 2018 at 2:28pm:
I absolutely disagree with this.  There's not much more to talk about on that subject really.  Our initial premises are just different. 

The article on 'Ideological Possession' was brilliant. It stirred up just the right people to comment trying to put it down. I'm sure you must have noticed!

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Apr 5th, 2018 at 2:54pm:
The article on 'Ideological Possession' was brilliant. It stirred up just the right people to comment trying to put it down. I'm sure you must have noticed!
I can see that rather than being possessed by an ideology (like the lizard is) you are merely a craven mercenary.

I knew it long ago... You never were brave enough to tell us who is paying you. That makes you a coward too.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Apr 5th, 2018 at 4:01pm:
I can see that rather than being possessed by an ideology (like the lizard is) you are merely a craven mercenary.

I knew it long ago... You never were brave enough to tell us who is paying you. That makes you a coward too.

I have already told everybody who is paying me and if you missed it then you will have to ask me again.

I haven't said how much I'm being paid because you haven't asked me. Even though I have promise to the god that I will or may it strike me dead. All you have to do is ask mr. Sickler.

May I call you mr. Sickler?

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 3rd, 2018 at 10:34pm:
"[Hoffer] argues that even when their stated goals or values differ, mass movements are interchangeable, that adherents will often flip from one movement to another, and that the motivations for mass movements are interchangeable."

So? The point is that people can be deluded by "experts" at deluding people? No shit.

We should talk more about telling people the truth.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Apr 5th, 2018 at 6:02pm:
So? The point is that people can be deluded by "experts" at deluding people? No shit.

We should talk more about telling people the truth.

A good example of mass-movement interchangeability would be religious, nationalist and social movements, These tend to attract the same type of activists - they behave in very similar ways and use very similar tactics - propaganda and hyperbole - to promote their extremist agenda.

Heck, even Our president does this on occasion. He repeatedly told us that the US has a $500 billion trade deficit with China.  Trump knows damn well this is false, so it's a lie

He told the lie to fire up his base.  In Trump's mind, this lie is perfectly rational, because the leftist MSM devote 99.5% of their resources bashing and/or obstructing him (and they really do).

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 5th, 2018 at 6:30pm:
A good example of mass-movement interchangeability...

This is a new one for me. I'll read further.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #39 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 5th, 2018 at 6:30pm:
Heck, even Our president does this on occasion.
Mass movements in America are oriented around presidents?

Like rallying around FDR to create a "New Deal" or around LBJ to create a "Great Society"?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Ideological Possession
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy