Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why do Leftists say Gender is Determined by Individuals, when . . .
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why do Leftists say Gender is Determined by Individuals, when . . . (Read 1320 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why do Leftists say Gender is Determined by Individuals, when . . .
Reply #50 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:01am:
I told you, my parents and teachers kept telling me to pay attention, and I did start paying more attention. (Edit: School often bored me senseless... That would be an artificially induced symptom. Do they count?)

"Pay attention" counts as "behavioral therapy" does it not?

Anyway, It worked, I paid attention to what I came to think of as "the school game". I learned the structure and the rules of "schooling" and got very good at playing the game.

The "autism spectrum" is very broad. I doubt that there are any children that don't exhibit at least a few "symptoms".

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Autism-History.aspx

As you will see if you read this brief history of "autism",

Yes, after two masters degrees and years of working with people on the autism spectrum, all I need to complete my learning is to read a "brief history of autism."  This is how you come off sounding so silly, Billie.

You're an engineer?  I know a lot more about engineering than you do from reading this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering

As you will see if you bother to read it, "engineering" is nothing more than applied cleverness.

Please give a serious response without sounding arrogant.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #51 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 11:09am:
Yes, after two masters degrees and years of working with people on the autism spectrum, all I need to complete my learning is to read a "brief history of autism." 
I knew that someone as well credentialed as you are would be aware that the "symptoms" of Autism have been changeable and sometimes vague, that different "scientists" studying different children or groups of children have attributed different "symptoms" to Autism at different times, I just thought other less well credentialed people might not be aware of that.

BTW, what do you make of my contention that most (if not all) of my "symptoms" of Asperger's were induced by public schooling?

Is it possible I don't actually have any genetic tendency to Autism, but was in fact simply rendered temporarily insane by public schooling?

Can the same Mental Disorder arise from either some quirk of brain structure or from external influences? Can it be the same Disorder if it is caused by two very different things?

Is it the Flu whether the symptoms were caused by a virus or by getting really drunk?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #52 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 11:09am:
You're an engineer? 
No. But I know quite a lot about some limited areas of engineering.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #53 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
My daughter is autistic and never feels the need to troll people on the internet with multiple identities.  I agree, Jeff/Billie/Don is seeking attention.  He should seek it from a shrink.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #54 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 2:49pm:
No. But I know quite a lot about some limited areas of engineering.

That's really all anyone needs for engineering.  There is no science underlying the cleverness.  Not in any real sense.  People always extol the great "engineering" feat of building the pyramids.  Actually, understanding that large blocks can hold other large is a preschool skill.  Cutting large blocks of rocks into fairly precise shapes is impressive craftsmanship but nothing to do with any "scientific engineering."

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #55 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 2:23pm:
BTW, what do you make of my contention that most (if not all) of my "symptoms" of Asperger's were induced by public schooling?

You're in the ballpark, but slightly off the mark.  If there is a genetic reason for autism and for ADHD, there have been children with autism and children with ADHD since long before the statists took over U.S. public school and turned them into hellholes.  If it is some kind of environmental reason, like too much/little ozone or vaccines or MSG, then the rise of those disorders during the time school became torture chambers for people with them is coincidental.

One hundred years ago if a kid were just too antsy to sit in a classroom, no need to diagnose him or her.  Hell, they need more hands on the farm or in the workshop anyway.  If a teenager had trouble making friends and always seemed to anger people without trying or being aware, no need to place him on the AU spectrum.  He could be a ranch hand or fur trapper or some other job with minimal human contact.

Turning our schools into pressure cookers in which we stress kids out and give them little chance for physical release didn't create ADHD or AU.  It did make it nearly impossible for kids with ADHD and AU to function in the "new normal."

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #56 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 5:21pm:
My daughter is autistic and never feels the need to troll people on the internet with multiple identities.  I agree, Jeff/Billie/Don is seeking attention.  He should seek it from a shrink.

I was diagnosed Asperger spectrum as a child, but later tests either barely placed me on that spectrum or not at all.

I don't feel the need to lash out at everyone either. I see what Billie does and I think she may be faking it.

The "mean" autistic ones are almost always male, or so extremely severe that lashing out is all they can do. Billie isn't male, so she's probably faking being autistic.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #57 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 8:22am
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 5:21pm:
I thought psychiatrists didn't like to be called "mind shrinkers"?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #58 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 8:45pm:
That's really all anyone needs for engineering.  There is no science underlying the cleverness.  Not in any real sense.  People always extol the great "engineering" feat of building the pyramids.  Actually, understanding that large blocks can hold other large is a preschool skill.  Cutting large blocks of rocks into fairly precise shapes is impressive craftsmanship but nothing to do with any "scientific engineering."

What does your assertion that there is no science behind engineering have to do with "scientific" psychology not being scientific (even if your assertion about engineering was true, which it is not)?

Changing the subject is clever, but it doesn't explain or point to any "scientific" basis of "scientific" psychology.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #59 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 8:45am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 11:12pm:
I was diagnosed Asperger spectrum as a child, but later tests either barely placed me on that spectrum or not at all.

From the link to the history that I posted-

"In 1943 American child psychiatrist Leo Kanner studied 11 children. The children had features of difficulties in social interactions, difficulty in adapting to changes in routines, good memory, sensitivity to stimuli (especially sound), resistance and allergies to food, good intellectual potential, echolalia or propensity to repeat words of the speaker and difficulties in spontaneous activity.
In 1944 Hans Asperger, working separately, studied a group of children. His children also resembled Kanner’s descriptions. The children he studied, however, did not have echolalia as a linguistic problem but spoke like grownups. He also mentioned that many of the children were clumsy and different from normal children in terms of fine motor skills."

I don't think those described symptoms match the current description of Asperger's, or which symptoms you might have had... I'll guess difficulty in social interactions (a "symptom" I had) and poor motor skills (a "symptom" I did not have).

As I said before, I had an excellent memory. My motor skills were also excellent. I spoke well at an early age and liked food except for some nasty vegetables like asparagus. Changes in routines didn't phase me... No matter, I had at least four of the "modern" symptoms.

It seems to me that "scientific" psychology has been selecting different sets of "symptoms" for what they say is the same "mental disorder" pretty much since the beginning, which is no different than "scientifically" declaring that homosexuality is a "mental disorder, and then "scientifically" declaring that it is not.

Doesn't that support my claim that it is not objective science but merely subjective labeling?

What are the scientific roots of "scientific psychology"? Pavlov?

Learning through observation that eventually all apples will move from the tree to the ground is fine, but in itself it is not science, even if you decide to say that "Gravity" is the cause, aided of course by genetically determined "behavior" that causes trees to desire to reproduce. i.e. they shed their apples to get their seeds on the ground...

But really, if you know nothing of either gravity or evolution or genetically programed behaviors, you could, if you wanted to and possessed no additional information, conclude that apple trees throw their apples to the ground because they like little apple trees around them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why do Leftists say Gender is Determined by Individuals, when . . .
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy