Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is the idea of intellectual property/patents inherently anti-free mark
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is the idea of intellectual property/patents inherently anti-free mark (Read 211 times)
Billie
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Is the idea of intellectual property/patents inherently anti-free mark
Reply #10 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
thermf5 wrote on Apr 7th, 2018 at 11:38am:
Is your plans leads or somebody ripped you off that's your fault it's called individual responsibility you're responsible for your property and your ideas if somebody steals your ideas from you and then produces it at a cheaper rate that people buy then that's the market doing its work...
No, it's obviously theft and fraud and cronyism.

We hire police and pay for courts and jails so that people will be convinced it's a bad idea to steal.

God help us that we are now relying on our courts to teach our children morality. Shocked

By the time they get to the real (adult) courts, it's too late in many cases, but that's not a good rationalization for abandoning all of them.

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Apr 7th, 2018 at 5:40pm:

We hire police and pay for courts and jails so that people will be convinced it's a bad idea to steal.

God help us that we are now relying on our courts to teach our children morality. Shocked

By the time they get to the real (adult) courts, it's too late in many cases, but that's not a good rationalization for abandoning all of them.

How is it cronyism to take someone else's product that's on the market and then figure out how it works and reproduce it at a cheaper price if you leaked  Embarrassedyour ideas put your work out in the public domain or put your work at risk to be hacked that's your fault and you should take responsibility for your own stupidity don't trust Networks anything is hackable on the  internet the point I'm trying to make is a simple one you can't own an idea you can only on the physical things and those physical things should be protected now it's somebody hacks in and steals your data because you left it vulnerable that would be like leaving money out in front of your property and letting people onto it and then letting them steal it you don't get it I don't trust the courts of the government or the cops to enforce anything because they do a horrible job and end up f****** over people where I trust is that the individual will take responsibility for them self and their property and I'm not the law states that you are responsible for yourself and your property and that no one is liable like if you buy some drugs from a pharmacy if you overdose that's your fault if you create the conditions to create the crime that happens to you then it's your fault

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Apr 7th, 2018 at 5:40pm:

No we're relying on children to learn the laws and morality is not the issue it is what the law should be in a Libertarian Society it has nothing to do with morality limited government means that kids would go to libraries and research laws and be highly educated not by their parents not by government institutions what do their own research I believe in self education you should educate the self you should learn things on your own at your own pace not through any system unless you volunteer for an apprenticeship or internship

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
thermf5 wrote on Apr 7th, 2018 at 6:12pm:
No we're relying on children to learn the laws and morality is not the issue
Just Laws are most easily created and administered in a moral society.

If everyone allows their children to become barbarians, the only law they will know is the law of the jungle, and that's what we will be forced to live under, like savages.

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Apr 7th, 2018 at 6:17pm:
Just Laws are most easily created and administered in a moral society.

If everyone allows their children to become barbarians, the only law they will know is the law of the jungle, and that's what we will be forced to live under, like savages.

There are plenty of unjust laws in modern civilization I am not saying get rid of laws I am saying that you should know the laws that you live under I'm saying that a basic legal education and basic economics are important things to learn so that you can not be exploited when I'm saying is is that if you know the law then you can use it to your advantage if you don't know the law when it all end up f****** you over how many businesses fail because they don't understand how the regulations work that were in place when they opened up shop you have to understand the system we live in in order to stop things like the great margin lown call in or the subprime mortgage crisis the world is full of predators and the only way to stop them is to have an educated vigilant public that won't let themselves be exploited

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Apr 7th, 2018 at 8:03am:
My solution is to apply Snarky's razor:  When in doubt, choose the path that requires least government.

Except that Snarky's Razor doesn't apply here. There is no doubt. Intellectual property is property.

It's exactly the same as the government protecting against theft. Ideally private courts should handle it, but we don't have any.

I argued that intellectual property wasn't actual property for a lot of reasons, but I lost that debate and changed my position.

http://www.libertariansforum.com/cgi-bin/freedom/YaBB.pl?num=1430619314/0

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 6:22am
Print Post  
thermf5 wrote on Apr 7th, 2018 at 6:07pm:
How is it cronyism to take someone else's product that's on the market and then figure out how it works and reproduce it at a cheaper price if you leaked  Embarrassedyour ideas put your work out in the public domain or put your work at risk to be hacked that's your fault and you should take responsibility for your own stupidity...
If you sell one of your whatever it is, and whoever buys it reverse engineers it and starts producing it in their factory in Bangladesh and selling it much cheaper than you can, you lose the opportunity to profit from your idea.

People hoping to profit from their ideas is a major motivator that drives invention and innovation.

Having a temporary monopoly on production of your new whatever also encourages people to invest in the production of your whatever.

Not only do patents and copyrights drive the creation of new ideas and products, they help individuals or small businesses without access to capital markets to gain access to capital markets. This helps insure that existing large corporations won't be able to lock up the market for new products and ideas.

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Apr 8th, 2018 at 6:22am:
If you sell one of your whatever it is, and whoever buys it reverse engineers it and starts producing it in their factory in Bangladesh and selling it much cheaper than you can, you lose the opportunity to profit from your idea.

People hoping to profit from their ideas is a major motivator that drives invention and innovation.

Having a temporary monopoly on production of your new whatever also encourages people to invest in the production of your whatever.

Not only do patents and copyrights drive the creation of new ideas and products, they help individuals or small businesses without access to capital markets to gain access to capital markets. This helps insure that existing large corporations won't be able to lock up the market for new products and ideas.

So u want the government to protect u when it's convenient for you but to back off when it's not sorry but u can't have it both ways u eather want to veive peower to the people as individuals or give the government power u don't want limited  government and davaty still invented things he just encrypted his work sorry but I olny trust my self to protect my best interest not the government

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Apr 7th, 2018 at 5:35pm:
Supporting our courts through legal taxes is "welfare"?

Are you drunk? Or high?

Me paying for you to be able to patent your new "revolutionary" cable fastener and then have the full power of the government brought against someone who sells one that is similar is welfare.  You should pay for that yourself if you are so sure you have a million dollar idea.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 10:53am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Apr 8th, 2018 at 10:12am:
Me paying for you to be able to patent your new "revolutionary" cable fastener and then have the full power of the government brought against someone who sells one that is similar is welfare.  You should pay for that yourself if you are so sure you have a million dollar idea.

"Similar" is subjective and patent law has been dealing with "similar" for a long time, not always to everyone's satisfaction.

But anyway, in a similar vein, I worked long and hard to be able to buy a new car, and if someone steals it, I want the police to find the thief and prosecute him. I was going to make money with that car, driving people to where they want to go.

BTW, my invention is a practical teleportation device, much more valuable than some purportedly "new" design for a cable fastener, and not similar to anything!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is the idea of intellectual property/patents inherently anti-free mark
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy