Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is the idea of intellectual property/patents inherently anti-free mark
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is the idea of intellectual property/patents inherently anti-free mark (Read 207 times)
thermf5
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Is the idea of intellectual property/patents inherently anti-free mark
Reply #20 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Apr 8th, 2018 at 10:53am:
"Similar" is subjective and patent law has been dealing with "similar" for a long time, not always to everyone's satisfaction.

But anyway, in a similar vein, I worked long and hard to be able to buy a new car, and if someone steals it, I want the police to find the thief and prosecute him. I was going to make money with that car, driving people to where they want to go.

BTW, my invention is a practical teleportation device, much more valuable than some purportedly "new" design for a cable fastener, and not similar to anything!

When you buy a car you need to put GPS tracking systems in it in multiple places so that if it gets stolen you can find it yourself and reclaim it yourself if you really trust the cops to get your stolen property I think you're delusional and you don't believe in limited government

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
thermf5 wrote on Apr 8th, 2018 at 11:41am:
When you buy a car you need to put GPS tracking systems in it in multiple places so that if it gets stolen you can find it yourself and reclaim it yourself if you really trust the cops to get your stolen property I think you're delusional and you don't believe in limited government

You would need to double the police force in order for them to deal with car theft. It would be a huge increase in taxes.

Another possible solution would be to attack the problem of car theft at it's roots. There are dozens of answers for how to do that. But Americans aren't receptive to any of those solutions.

Your country is setting examples for the world on how to be the worst in so many ways. Or that is, the worst among the developed first world countries.

You are all becoming aware of that lately but you blame communists. Maybe it's really a problem with your style of irresponsible capitalism?

Or just reject that idea and think of me as the commie hiding under your bed?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
thermf5 wrote on Apr 8th, 2018 at 7:32am:
So u want the government to protect u when it's convenient for you but to back off when it's not

Correct. This is the minarchist ideal.

It is the pipe dream of medium-sized dogs who want to bite small dogs while being protected from large dogs.

SnarkySack wrote on Apr 8th, 2018 at 10:12am:
Me paying for you to be able to patent your new "revolutionary" cable fastener and then have the full power of the government brought against someone who sells one that is similar is welfare.  You should pay for that yourself if you are so sure you have a million dollar idea.

I've had this same thought about theft, but I wonder at its efficacy.

Sometimes I think that a law against theft (not just the fact that everyone pays for the enforcement) is a unilateral imposition on the propertyless for the benefit of the propertied.

I wonder why Walmart should not pay more taxes than Worker Jimmy because the government must disproportionately protect Walmart from theft. Jimmy owns nothing; he rents his house and car, and he pays taxes but doesn't reap the benefit Walmart does.

I also wonder if a law may ever be imposed justly that protects some and not others. If one wishes to go from a natural state of brutality and the iron rule (take what you can get) to a state of property rights, that imposes restrictions on the propertyless that harms them and benefits them not one iota. I have my doubts about whether this is just.

But... I can wonder all I like. It is just because the NAP declares it just.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:41am
Print Post  
thermf5 wrote on Apr 8th, 2018 at 11:41am:
I bought a damn high end Mercedes limo (I had to get a 7 year mortgage on it, and I got a second mortgage on my house to make the down payment!). People who steal them know how to remove/disable all that fancy stuff, and anyway, since they are getting rich stealing really expensive cars, they have their own private protection forces and I can't even afford a private detective... The one's I talked to laughed at me anyway, saying nobody in their right mind goes up against that car theft gang!

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Apr 8th, 2018 at 12:41pm:
You would need to double the police force in order for them to deal with car theft.
Nonsense. Between our County Sheriffs and the State Police (and other local police forces) , car theft is kept to a minimum, thieves are caught and cars are recovered.

I know things are different in Moscow...

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:46am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 8th, 2018 at 5:16pm:
Correct. This is the minarchist ideal.

It is the pipe dream of medium-sized dogs who want to bite small dogs while being protected from large dogs.

Nonsense. You still can't seem to grasp the basic idea of a minimal government, constrained by law, that is tasked with protecting each individual dog under uniformly applied laws.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:50am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 8th, 2018 at 5:16pm:
Sometimes I think that a law against theft (not just the fact that everyone pays for the enforcement) is a unilateral imposition on the propertyless for the benefit of the propertied.

Why are so many of your thoughts garbled and unreasonable "progressive" nonsense?

If you are saying that people who don't have cars will sometimes steal one, that's well known.

What you leave out of the equation is that it's an imposition on me to have my car stolen.

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:41am:
I bought a damn high end Mercedes limo (I had to get a 7 year mortgage on it, and I got a second mortgage on my house to make the down payment!). People who steal them know how to remove/disable all that fancy stuff, and anyway, since they are getting rich stealing really expensive cars, they have their own private protection forces and I can't even afford a private detective... The one's I talked to laughed at me anyway, saying nobody in their right mind goes up against that car theft gang!

Mercedes-Benz cars are known to break down so that was a stupid business decision on your part and if you bought a limo for business then you should have paid to have it parked in a parking lot that has 24-hour security why can't you just drive f****** Luber or Lyft now I know why because you only want to appeal to high class clientele or  tourists you get what you pay for so you want to complain about taxes but yet you want the government to pay to protect you and your property you make zero sense you're the one who's  illogical absolute power corrupts absolutely you're not talkin about limited government that supports the individual rights you're talking about an individual government that supports the middle class and the high class and f**** over the poor I'm talkin about a society where the individual is king of them self and no one else where the laws state that you can kill anyone who wants power and control over you where everyone leaves everyone alone at the threat of assassination

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
thermf5 wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 10:02am:
Mercedes-Benz cars are known to break down...
Ha ha. Mine came with a great warranty, and they honor it.... but they are in fact very reliable,

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
thermf5 wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 10:02am:
so you want to complain about taxes but yet you want the government to pay to protect you and your property you make zero sense
Me?

I only complain about illegal taxes levied for illegal purposes. Angry

I'm happy to fund the people who find the car thieves and return my car and put the car thieves in jail.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is the idea of intellectual property/patents inherently anti-free mark
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy