Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Warns Against Syria Intervention.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Warns Against Syria Intervention. (Read 645 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Warns Against Syria Intervention.
Reply #20 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes it is. I have come to face reality and I now know that libertarianism is impossible for a country.

This is not counting out the possibility of it working for say, a small village of a couple of dozen people. You could call that villlage sized country "Liberland"!!

Just because Libertarianism can't work on a large scale such as a country (or even a state) the benefits of self-ownership, a free market, and limited government can be a reality IF ENOUGH PEOPLE WANT IT TO BE.

Libertarians make up a very small percentage of the electorate [11% - 14%?], so there aren't many people who expect the US to suddenly return to the liberatrian country it once was.

We want to restore some of the freedoms which were lost dirung government expansion phase which began in the early 1900s.

Some would argue that government expansion/federalism began after the Civil War, and there is truth in that, but the main thrust of government expansion happened between 1909 and 1913 under Wilson.

Wow.  I've really gotten into the weeds, here.  Back to the topic:

All the news about the Chemical attacks in Syria:  I don't believe any of it.  I'm not saying it did or didn't happen. I'm saying that we won't ever know what really happened because the MSM will only report what they want us to hear. They spin it one way, RT spins it another,  I think it's all BS.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the US supplied the rebels in Douma with chemical weapons to have them make a false-flag attack on civilians to make it look like al-Assad did it, so the US would have reason to intervene with the Military.  But that would be too obvious.  A better idea would be to have Israel launch the counter-attack with some air-strikes. IMO.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 5:54pm:
Just because Libertarianism can't work on a large scale such as a country (or even a state)...
Are you claiming that the first hundred years of America were a failure because there was too much liberty, or that the first hundred years of America failed because our government usurped too much power?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
All the news about the Chemical attacks in Syria:  I don't believe any of it.  I'm not saying it did or didn't happen.
In fact Chief, by saying you don't believe it, you are saying you do believe it didn't happen.

Do you have proof?

I don't know what happened or didn't happen. How could I?

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
All the news about the Chemical attacks in Syria:  I don't believe any of it.  I'm not saying it did or didn't happen. I'm saying that we won't ever know what really happened because the MSM will only report what they want us to hear. They spin it one way, RT spins it another,  I think it's all BS.

I've posted a new thread on what happened or didn't happen in Syria.  Oh, and Nikki Haley is saying the US will act regardless of whether the UN decides to or not.

As you keep saying over and over that we won't ever know what happened, I'm pretty confident now that we do. The US is promoting false flag provocations.

You're an American. You probably have no choice but to buy into the lies. If you are an example, there's no indication that libertarians or any other Americans will be causing any dissent against your government.

So far my country is complicit in the crimes against humanity that are being committed by the US. I can at least hope that we will deny you our help in your coming war, as we did with the phony Iraq war.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 6:35pm:
Are you claiming that the first hundred years of America were a failure because there was too much liberty, or that the first hundred years of America failed because our government usurped too much power?

I'm claiming that the first hundred years of America was a success because the gov't abided by limitations set forth in the Constitution.

Once anti-libertarian measures were introduced, things went south really fast.  (16th Amendment, 18th Amendment)

The 18th Amendment was so destructive to liberty, they had to repeal it!

I submit the 16th Amendment is nearly as bad.  Sure, people aren't being gunned down in the streets by the Feds like they were during prohibition, but lives/livelihoods are being destroyed with income taxes.

Congress needs to curtail spending and repeal income tax.  We can easily replace the income tax with other taxes and/or tariffs.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You're an American. You probably have no choice but to buy into the lies. If you are an example, there's no indication that libertarians or any other Americans will be causing any dissent against your government.

I tried to make it very clear that I DON'T buy into the lies:

All the news about the Chemical attacks in Syria:  I don't believe any of it..

Quote:
So far my country is complicit in the crimes against humanity that are being committed by the US. I can at least hope that we will deny you our help in your coming war, as we did with the phony Iraq war.

Is Canada complicit?  I honestly didn't know that.  Anyway, I share your hope that Canada removes herself from civil conflict in Syria.

Smiley

"Let our affairs be disentangled from those of all other nations, except as to commerce"  - Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 11:10pm:
I tried to make it very clear that I DON'T buy into the lies:

Is Canada complicit?  I honestly didn't know that.  Anyway, I share your hope that Canada removes herself from civil conflict in Syria.

Smiley

"Let our affairs be disentangled from those of all other nations, except as to commerce"  - Thomas Jefferson

Canada is a Nato member and likely will follow the US. There's always a hope that we won't. Actually there's a hope that the US won't do a bombing raid on Syria but it's pretty slim now.

The left media is talking up the allegations of Assad using chemical weapons and that will sell with the majority. Our CBC is also buying the story on Assad using chem weapons. I suspect Fox will be buying it too for Trump's sake.

Thank you for stating your position. The others obviously don't find it necessary to be open with an antiwar position.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Quote:
Actually there's a hope that the US won't do a bombing raid on Syria but it's pretty slim now.

Well, Trump promised us he would withdraw troops from Syria.   He's broken many promises in the past year. He would be wise to at least keep this one.

Bolton (and the rest of the hawks - McCain, Graham, et.al.,) will put up a fuss, no doubt.  We'll see what happens.   Undecided

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 8:39am
Print Post  
The allegedly liberal Brookings Institute just made a case that the US should stay in Syria.
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2018/04/07/how-do-we-prevent-isi...

I looked up the Brookings Institute at Wikipedia and found down the page (emphasis mine):

"Funders
As of 2016 the Brookings Institution had assets of $473.8 million.[102] Its largest contributors include the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Hutchins Family Foundation, JPMorgan Chase, the LEGO Foundation, David Rubenstein, State of Qatar, and John L. Thornton.
In 2014, it received $250,000 from the United States Central Command of the United States Department of Defense.[103]"

This is the same Central Command that continued to aid and abet the Egyptian military as it overthrew the democratically-elected parliament and President. How much money do you suppose it gave to the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Apr 10th, 2018 at 8:39am:
The allegedly liberal Brookings Institute just made a case that the US should stay in Syria.
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2018/04/07/how-do-we-prevent-isi...

I looked up the Brookings Institute at Wikipedia and found down the page (emphasis mine):

"Funders
As of 2016 the Brookings Institution had assets of $473.8 million.[102] Its largest contributors include the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Hutchins Family Foundation, JPMorgan Chase, the LEGO Foundation, David Rubenstein, State of Qatar, and John L. Thornton.
In 2014, it received $250,000 from the United States Central Command of the United States Department of Defense.[103]"

This is the same Central Command that continued to aid and abet the Egyptian military as it overthrew the democratically-elected parliament and President. How much money do you suppose it gave to the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity?
Who authorized the Department of Defense to give tax money away to anyone? Obama? Does Congress know they are doing it?

As I keep saying, "liberal" does not mean "classical liberal". Modern liberals are "progressive" and have been willing to take us to war for "good reasons" since the Mexican war at least.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Warns Against Syria Intervention.
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy