Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Books on Multiculturalism
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Books on Multiculturalism (Read 76 times)
Yanez

Libertarian's Forum

Books on Multiculturalism
Apr 9th, 2018 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has good suggestions regarding authors who talk about multiculturalism.  Obviously, i want it to be more from a libertarian perspective.

Maybe T.Sowell?

Thanks in advance

IP Logged

Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Books on Multiculturalism
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Yanez wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 9:50am:
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has good suggestions regarding authors who talk about multiculturalism.  Obviously, i want it to be more from a libertarian perspective.

Maybe T.Sowell?

Thanks in advance

Multiculturalism isn't a part of the libertarian's agenda. They only pretend that is is but in practice they turn against it. They even provide excuses for having to do so.

If you're a decent person who truly cares about freedom and liberty then you need to look elsewhere for a party to support.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 2:14pm:
Multiculturalism isn't a part of the libertarian's agenda.

I agree. 

Multiculturism is when the government attempts to artificially introduce cultural or ethnic groups within a society. It's basically "social engineering".

Libertarians promote self-governance and free association. We believe that a society should be able to organize itself without any social engineering intervention by government.

If you're a decent person who truly cares about freedom and liberty then you need to look elsewhere for a party to support.

A classic straw-man statement.  [insert sad trombone sound here]

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 2:50pm:
I agree. 

Multiculturism is when the government attempts to artificially introduce cultural or ethnic groups within a society. It's basically "social engineering".

Libertarians promote self-governance and free association. We believe that a society should be able to organize itself without any social engineering intervention by government.

A classic straw-man statement.  [insert sad trombone sound here]

The libertarian agenda is only possible in isolation from the rest of society which forms over 95% of the people. In actual reality, far greater than 99% of the people of the world! At best it could only ever serve the interests of much less than 5% of the world's people in this 21st. century.

Besides the other apt adjectives, it's also selfish and ridiclulous.

That's no straw man argument, that's openly accepted by libertarians. Libertarianism has been freely proclaimed to be impossible for a large country. Or even a small country.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Yanez, Here are five books that promote multiculturism;

Multicultural Citizenship.   by Will Kymlicka

Rethinking Multiculturalism: Cultural Diversity and Political Theory.   by Bhikhu Parekh

The Home We Build Together: Recreating Society.    by Jonathan Sack

Multiculturalism Without Culture    by Anne Phillips

Still Not Easy Being British: Struggles for a Multicultural Citizenship  by Tariq-Modood

https://fivebooks.com/best-books/multiculturalism-tariq-modood/

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Yanez, before you adopt libertarianism as your politics, there's something that you should know.

All the people on this forum have already proclaimed libertarianism to be completely impossible for a country.

Now would be a good time to look elsewhere for politics.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  

That's simply not true. The libertarian party supports open borders.

https://www.lp.org/platform/
Quote:
3.4 Free Trade and Migration

We support the removal of governmental impediments to free trade. Political freedom and escape from tyranny demand that individuals not be unreasonably constrained by government in the crossing of political boundaries. Economic freedom demands the unrestricted movement of human as well as financial capital across national borders.

It just happens that some people calling themselves libertarians choose their safety and their job security over the rights of others.

Their choice indicates that they have no idea what rights even are. It's sad, but they're not libertarians.

Look at it from this perspective for a moment. What if a large number of people wearing swastikas and Adolf Hitler shirts called themselves liberals? I hope it wouldn't dissuade anyone from adopting liberalism, simply because those people would be mistaken about what liberalism was.

If you want to know what libertarianism is, the posters you should listen to are Tom Palven and Don G, though Don G is not an economic libertarian. He has a good understanding of the social freedoms, justice system, and the kind of culture libertarians should want, but he's for economic regulation and gun control, which are not libertarian policies. This still describes the libertarian viewpoint a lot better than righties in disguise who destroy the libertarian case by denying the need to respect the right to travel by having open borders.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 3:28pm
Print Post  

deleted
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2018 at 4:38pm by SkyChief »  

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 3:25pm:
That's simply not true. The libertarian party supports open borders.

https://www.lp.org/platform/

It just happens that some people calling themselves libertarians choose their safety and their job security over the rights of others.

Their choice indicates that they have no idea what rights even are. It's sad, but they're not libertarians.

Look at it from this perspective for a moment. What if a large number of people wearing swastikas and Adolf Hitler shirts called themselves liberals? I hope it wouldn't dissuade anyone from adopting liberalism, simply because those people would be mistaken about what liberalism was.

If you want to know what libertarianism is, the posters you should listen to are Tom Palven and Don G, though Don G is not an economic libertarian. He has a good understanding of the social freedoms, justice system, and the kind of culture libertarians should want, but he's for economic regulation and gun control, which are not libertarian policies. This still describes the libertarian viewpoint a lot better than righties in disguise who destroy the libertarian case by denying the need to respect the right to travel by having open borders.

Thank you for your compliments Oppo, but I still have to tell you that you're some kind of a weird piece of shit who needs to stop skipping his lithium medication.

You, therm, and Alayne, if not the same person, make up fully a third of the fukking weirdos who take part on this forum on a good day.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Yanez wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 9:50am:

Maybe T.Sowell?

Thanks in advance
Thomas Sowell is excellent, a clear thinker who can make his ideas easily accessible.

He's libertarian, and understands that free societies are built on the best things that free individuals decide to use from any culture.

That's how I think of multiculturalism... Good food, good beer, good music from everywhere! Smiley

And I get my own choice!

Edit: I'm semi-cultured, I also appreciate art and literature from any culture anywhere, as long as I get to choose Smiley.

Chairman Xi disagrees. So did Chairman Mao.

Screw them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Books on Multiculturalism
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy