Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Three EDIT: Four Reasons Congress Won't Change Facebook
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Three EDIT: Four Reasons Congress Won't Change Facebook (Read 937 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Three EDIT: Four Reasons Congress Won't Change Facebook
Apr 12th, 2018 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Facebook makes way too much money doing what it does with data it provides to advertisers to let it go.  They are not going to voluntarily give up data gathering and selling.

Facebook has literally Billions of dollars to spend on lobbying and on defeating any congressman that votes for any legislation that would actually harm their business model.

People love Facebook.  I sure do.  I am in touch with cousins I haven't seen since my grandparents' funerals.  I've been tracked down by at least one childhood friend who searched my name on Facebook.  He was a pretty average guy when I lost touch with him after junior high and now he's a judge.  I found a friend of my sister who used to crush on me when I was a teenager because she happened to be a friend of a friend of my wife.   Suppose Facebook puts out an ad of its own saying, "Facebook cannot survive the over-regulation congress is proposing.  Call your congressman and tell him not to destroy Facebook"  'Nuff said.

No one really cares that if they google "smart TV keyboard," the next day ads for smart TV keyboards appears on my Facebook page.  That's actually a good thing.  I get ads for holsters, which I'm interested in.  As far as I know, Facebook isn't stealing any money from me.  Who is?  Congress.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Three EDIT: Four Reasons Congress Won't Change Facebook
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Just don't give Google or Facebook anything you're not comfortable with sharing.

Or you could be like me and routinely throw monkeywrenches in their analytics. I never google anything without also googling at least two other "dummy" searches.

Yesterday I wanted to find out about something so I googled it third. I also googled, "Is Santa Claus a basketball?" and "symptoms of extraterrestrial infestation".

Snarky Sack wrote on Apr 12th, 2018 at 8:58pm:
Facebook has literally Billions of dollars to spend on lobbying and on defeating any congressman that votes for any legislation that would actually harm their business model.

Oh, I also wanted to say that even though this is not the exact way it would work in a libertarian world, the result is exactly the same.

Civil suits would decide these sorts of non-aggressive conflicts, and the biggest bear would take the cake.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 12:36am
Print Post  
Reason #5:

If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

Smiley

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Apr 12th, 2018 at 8:58pm:

Doesn't that give politicians a huge incentive to regulate Facebook?

If your faction can capture the government, and Facebook is regulated, those billions of dollars (and all that information) can be used to keep your faction in power, maybe forever!

"So Mark, here's the deal, we'll make sure you stay rich and powerful as a crony of our faction, and all you have to do is help us stay in power... OK? Then it's a deal... If you don't help us, we'll ruin you.)

Doesn't it seem like "progressives" (who are predicted to take back Congress) are the people that are most interested in "regulating" Facebook?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 10:02am:
Doesn't that give politicians a huge incentive to regulate Facebook?

If your faction can capture the government, and Facebook is regulated, those billions of dollars (and all that information) can be used to keep your faction in power, maybe forever!

"So Mark, here's the deal, we'll make sure you stay rich and powerful as a crony of our faction, and all you have to do is help us stay in power... OK? Then it's a deal... If you don't help us, we'll ruin you.)

Doesn't it seem like "progressives" (who are predicted to take back Congress) are the people that are most interested in "regulating" Facebook?

Yes, and they will regulate them.  But they won't change them.  Any regulations they pass will be written almost entirely by Facebook's lobbyists and lawyers.  They will be designed to make it difficult for a competitor to enter the market, not to interfere in any way with Facebooks advertising strategies.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 10:43am:
Yes, and they will regulate them.  But they won't change them.  Any regulations they pass will be written almost entirely by Facebook's lobbyists and lawyers.  They will be designed to make it difficult for a competitor to enter the market, not to interfere in any way with Facebooks advertising strategies.
The regulations will bring control with them. That's what regulation is.

By admitting that Facebook is a "proper" subject for "regulation" (probably the power is granted by the commerce clause?) Facebook will become a "regulated" industry.

Granting Facebook some sort of monopoly protection will make them a creature of government, and creatures of government are required to support government in order to maintain their monopoly privileges.

Only "progressives" seem to want to "regulate" Facebook, to make us safe and everything.

China regulates Facebook now. So do other authoritarian governments, and it's not to keep their people safe, it's to keep the government safe.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
It's become a choice for America to uphold the complete breakdown to corruption-

or

Make the compromise and accept the need of for the dreaded REGULATIONS!

I'm putting my money on corruption.

Oppo's money is on screw worms, Ruby, therm, and Alayne need more time to consider the question, and Sickler, burnsred and the Chief are no regulation at any cost!

America's future does indeed rest on the LP!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It's become a choice for America to uphold the complete breakdown to corruption-

or

Make the compromise and accept the need of for the dreaded REGULATIONS!

Donat, dear Donat, "regulations" foster corruption. You could safely say that "regulation=corruption.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Sickler, burnsred and the Chief are no regulation at any cost!

America's future does indeed rest on the LP!

There are some things that warrant regulations (imo).  Aviation, Broadcast communications, Safety in the workplace, etc....

But we should never try to regulate how a private company conducts it's business.  This means that gov't should not force a baker to bake a cake, and it should not force a newspaper to print each and every letter to the editor. 

The Newspaper can pick and choose the content it wants to print. 

And so should Zuckerberg, IMO.  If he wants to silence right-wing views on facebook, then he should be free to do so.

Personally, I think its a bad idea (for facebook) to do it, but it's a private business, and the government should step aside.

Americans are over-taxed and over-regulated as it is.  Additional regulations only exacerbate this problem.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:04pm:
There are some things that warrant regulations (imo).  Aviation, Broadcast communications, Safety in the workplace, etc....

But we should never try to regulate how a private company conducts it's business.  This means that gov't should not force a baker to bake a cake, and it should not force a newspaper to print each and every letter to the editor. 

The Newspaper can pick and choose the content it wants to print. 

And so should Zuckerberg, IMO.  If he wants to silence right-wing views on facebook, then he should be free to do so.

Personally, I think its a bad idea (for facebook) to do it, but it's a private business, and the government should step aside.

Americans are over-taxed and over-regulated as it is.  Additional regulations only exacerbate this problem.

Yes, you choose not to regulate, just as I suggested. And that's not saying that you have chosen corruption definitively, even though I maintain that there is no other alternative.

You pick and choose your regulations and choose to reject some while promoting others. That position can stand scrutiny as long as you're not pressed to declare yourself too much.

Nobody can rightfully challenge the acceptance of some regulations and rejection of others. That's common sense.

But unfortunately it  puts the lie to the libertarian's statement on condemning regulations in general.

The libertarian no more condemns regulations than any sensible person would. We all pick and choose.

What regulation would a libertarian choose to condemn that a progressive wouldn't condemn? To answer that question would prove that there is a difference between 'real' libertarianism and progress. (progressives in the leftist sense)

Real libertarianism is just another term for socially responsible government. I defy *any pseudo-libertarian to point out a difference.

*Craig Sickler excluded.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Three EDIT: Four Reasons Congress Won't Change Facebook
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy