Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Three EDIT: Four Reasons Congress Won't Change Facebook
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Three EDIT: Four Reasons Congress Won't Change Facebook (Read 896 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Three EDIT: Four Reasons Congress Won't Change Facebook
Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:04pm:
There are some things that warrant regulations (imo).  Aviation, Broadcast communications, Safety in the workplace, etc....

Blah blah Chief.

If Aviation, why not taxicabs?

Look how great Amtrak is! Great value (for a few) and big profits to be had (for a few cronies.)

If radio, why not the internet?

If opening people's e-mail is OK, why not their land mail, their personal communication of papers?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:25pm:
You pick and choose your regulations and choose to reject some while promoting others. That position can stand scrutiny as long as you're not pressed to declare yourself too much.

True.  I have 2 very simple criteria for determining if (a) regulation is "needed", or is just a hindrance to liberty:

1) does the regulation(s) harm anyone?   FAA, FCC, OSHA, FDA do not harm anyone, directly or indirectly.

2) does the regulation hinder a person's (or a corporation's) potential to be productive and make profit?
FAA, FCC, OSHA, FDA do not hinder a corporation from being productive.

Regulation of facebook or any of the other social media platforms would absolutely hinder productivity and/or profits for the corporation.

Sicklers Dink wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:25pm:
What regulation would a libertarian choose to condemn that a progressive wouldn't condemn?

I guess Iv'e already answered this (above).

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 5:24pm:
Blah blah Chief.

If Aviation, why not taxicabs?

Because taxicabs don't use the airspace. Or the Radio frequency band used exclusively for pilot-to-pilot and pilot-to-ground communications.

Because if a taxi mechanic got drunk or whatever, and messed up a repair job on a taxi cab, 388 people aren't going to crash into the Earth going 600 MPH!

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:36pm:
True.  I have 2 very simple criteria for determining if (a) regulaion is "needed", or is just a hindrance to liberty:

1) does the regulation(s) harm anyone?   FAA, FCC, OSHA, FDA do not harm anyone, directly or indirectly.

2) does the regulation hinder a person's (or a corporation's) potential to be productive and make profit?
FAA, FCC, OSHA, FDA do not hinder a corporation from being productive.

Regulation of facebook or any of the other social media platforms would absolutely hinder productivity and/or profits for the corporation.

I guess Iv'e already answered this (above).

I see nothing in that which would not be consistent with a progressive's POV. Maybe you could find one or two examples of what a libertarian would consider bad regulations.

99% of all regulations are good and useful regulations or they wouldn't exist. I'm sure we would agree on the !% that shouldn't. But I don't know of any offhand.

With your bad and corrupt government you've described to me, I'm sure some Americans can think of a couple at least.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 6:47am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:44pm:
Because taxicabs don't use the airspace. Or the Radio frequency band used exclusively for pilot-to-pilot and pilot-to-ground communications.

Because if a taxi mechanic got drunk or whatever, and messed up a repair job on a taxi cab, 388 people aren't going to crash into the Earth going 600 MPH!
So you basically don't trust markets to handle certain things because they are too technical or too complicated or there is too much risk?

And you think only government can figure out a way to provide safe secure air to ground communications with Canada's privately operated air traffic control system? Or that commercial airlines aren't at all concerned about having their very expensive airplanes crash and kill lots of people (something which always makes the headlines)?

Russia seems to have a higher than average number of airliners crash. Would you say they need more regulation?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 8:03pm:
99% of all regulations are good and useful regulations or they wouldn't exist.
Zukerberg wouldn't mind having Facebook regulated because Facebook can easily absorb the costs of the regulation, but startup competitors will be discouraged. That's one reason industries like to be regulated, it hinders competition.

Regulations might be good and useful to some people (or in some people's minds), but they are extremely harmful to others.

Regulations concerning emissions from cows asses will help drive the few remaining small farmers who raise beef or produce milk out of business, but giant corporate farms will be able to survive. That's fine with you I suppose, you like the idea of having nothing but giant corporations working hand in hand with government. It's what you call "socially responsible".

Here's the essential libertarian position-

http://reason.com/archives/2018/04/13/the-zuckerberg-hearings-prove-government?u...

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 6:47am:
So you basically don't trust markets to handle certain things because they are too technical or too complicated or there is too much risk?

Certain things, yes.  But not facebook.

Jeff wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 6:47am:
And you think only government can figure out a way to provide safe secure air to ground communications with Canada's privately operated air traffic control system?
I don't know anything about Canada's ATC systems - I do know that the FAA does an excellent job of keeping civil aviation safe in the US. I've relied on them many times for assistance.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 12:19pm:
Certain things, yes.  But not facebook.

I'm trying to figure it out... You think regulation is required for a few things that affect physical safety because there is proof that that sometimes works, or at least isn't any worse than market solutions?

But Chief, it almost always is worse than market solutions.

Pilots and air traffic controllers (with some help from bad weather, and sometimes from baggage smashers not paying attention to weight and balance) cause the great majority of airplane crashes.

Anyway, the very admission that our government has been granted these "regulatory powers" over everything is far more dangerous to human life than pilots sometimes forgetting to do some essential thing (like actually looking where the airplane is going! Yikes!)

Edit:Sometimes engineers employed by the airlines do stupid shit and cause crashes too, even though they have degrees.  Aircraft designers do good jobs, as long as they remember to keep well proven concepts in mind.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 12:19pm:
I don't know anything about Canada's ATC systems - I do know that the FAA does an excellent job of keeping civil aviation safe in the US. I've relied on them many times for assistance.

Canada, as well as the UK, France, Germany, New Zealand, Australia and Switzerland have privatized their air traffic control.

Pick one and go learn all about it. They are also there to help pilots.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
del
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2018 at 11:14pm by SkyChief »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Three EDIT: Four Reasons Congress Won't Change Facebook
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy