Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Republican Economy
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Republican Economy (Read 149 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

The Republican Economy
Apr 13th, 2018 at 8:29am
Print Post  
OK, and the hypocrisy of almost all our "lawmakers"-

http://reason.com/blog/2018/04/12/todays-balanced-budget-amendment-is-a-mo?utm_m...

This is where TwoParty control of the electoral process has led us.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Republican Economy
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
The recent signing of the infamous $1.3 Trillion Omnibus Spending bill cinched it for me. 

It forces an annual trillion-dollar deficit for the next 3 years.  So irresponsible of everyone involved.

“I would blow the Budget Committee up unless we change some of these rules, seriously. It does nothing,”  - Sen. David Perdue (R) Georgia

“There’s a very strong bipartisan feeling on the floor that this is just a completely negative, unhelpful, divisive, useless process."
  -  Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.)

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 1:43pm:
The recent signing of the infamous $1.3 Trillion Omnibus Spending bill cinched it for me. 

It forces an annual trillion-dollar deficit for the next 3 years.  So irresponsible of everyone involved.

“I would blow the Budget Committee up unless we change some of these rules, seriously. It does nothing,”  - Sen. David Perdue (R) Georgia

“There’s a very strong bipartisan feeling on the floor that this is just a completely negative, unhelpful, divisive, useless process."

So what to do now Chief? If the LP can come to the rescue and stop this insanity then it better start building in earnest. Maybe the part you can play is in promoting the LP on this forum?

But alas, it's far too late for the LP to rise to power by all appearances. It would take a fu--ing miracle.

I think the only other possibility would be in a quick rise to power of the Democrats and likely impeaching Trump, finding him guilty, and throwing him out immediately. The Democrats are at least opposed to a good half of the spending and so that could bring a partial victory!

It could also give the LP time to organize and regroup and decisively win the upcoming election. It might be a longshot but it's likely the only hope left to save the country. Or at least that's what I've been told by you libertarians?

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Oh, and Chief, you have my support and Craig Sickler's support obviously if you want to try to begin the charge.

And it should also be mentioned that the LP is looking for new leadership. (hint, hint) It's pretty well that or the Dems?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 1:43pm:

I wonder if there's a list of every member of Congress that added a "special rider" to the bill?

Probably Cato or the Reason Foundation will come up with one if it's possible, but it's probably all secret... There's probably a "rule" that allows "riders" to be attached anonymously. Cheesy

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If the LP can come to the rescue and stop this insanity then it better start building in earnest.

It's not the duty of the LP to "come to the rescue and stop this insanity".  This burden lies squarely on the shoulders of those who caused the problem to begin with. 

Quote:
Maybe the part you can play is in promoting the LP on this forum?

I am a member, but I'm not authorized to promote the LP.  Besides, I dont always agree with the LP agenda.  I think they made some real blunders in 2016 when they chose Gary Johnson as standard-bearer for the LP.  There were such better choices.  What the heck were they thinking?

Quote:
I think the only other possibility would be in a quick rise to power of the Democrats and likely impeaching Trump, finding him guilty, and throwing him out immediately. The Democrats are at least opposed to a good half of the spending and so that could bring a partial victory!

IMO, Democrats have proven themselves to be just as irresponsible in regards to deficit spending as the Republicans. Some would argue they are more irresponsible.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 2:41pm:
It's not the duty of the LP to "come to the rescue and stop this insanity".  This burden lies squarely on the shoulders of those who caused the problem to begin with.

I know it's nobody's 'duty' as such but I suggested one possible alternative to the problem. Promotion of the LP doesn't carry the assumption that it's their 'duty'! I would suggest rather that it's their 'time'. If not now then when? 

Quote:
I am a member, but I'm not authorized to promote the LP.  Besides, I dont always agree with the LP agenda.

That's just silly. Nobody needs to be authorized to promote the LP!

Quote:
  I think they made some real blunders in 2016 when they chose Gary Johnson as standard-bearer for the LP.  There were such better choices.  What the heck were they thinking?

I'm always interested in hearing from you on the blunders, and also better choices for the party's leader.

Quote:
IMO, Democrats have proven themselves to be just as irresponsible in regards to deficit spending as the Republicans. Some would argue they are more irresponsible.

Of course they are and all of we libertarians are in agreement on that. But there's little doubt that the Dems would prevent possibly half of Trump's spending to proceed. And it's also likely that the Dems would keep the part that benefits the poor and middle class.

Do you have any better ideas?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That's just silly. Nobody needs to be authorized to promote the LP!

Fair enough.  I always try to promote libertarian ideals, though.   

Quote:
But there's little doubt that the Dems would prevent possibly half of Trump's spending to proceed. And it's also likely that the Dems would keep the part that benefits the poor and middle class.

Do you have any better ideas?

The bill passed and Trump signed it.   The damage is done.  Libertarians are powerless to curb the stupidity that comes out of Washington.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:20pm:
Fair enough.  I always try to promote libertarian ideals, though.   

The bill passed and Trump signed it.   The damage is done.  Libertarians are powerless to curb the stupidity that comes out of Washington.

LIbertarians are no more powerless than Democrats are of changing half of it back to the normal status quo. And that's a far stretch from the omnibus bill.

To say that libertarians are powerless is to say that the LP has no future!

Or are you saying the LP has no future in the foreseeable future, as in the next 6 years in which Trump can do irreparable damage? If not the LP then the Dems, unless you have some other notions?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 2:17pm:
I wonder if there's a list of every member of Congress that added a "special rider" to the bill?

Probably Cato or the Reason Foundation will come up with one if it's possible, but it's probably all secret... There's probably a "rule" that allows "riders" to be attached anonymously. Cheesy
All of these "rules" that "bind" Congress to it's own standards are bipartisan TwoParty rules.

Almost all of them anyway.

Some, like the "filibuster rule" go back and forth... Those are the partisan "rules" that give advantage to one government faction over another...

I've been begging for decades for a President who will say "No, this is actually 927 separate Bills, and I will consider each one separately as I am required to do by law; Until I read them all myself, I cannot approve of any of them."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Republican Economy
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy