Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Fundamental Tyranny
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Fundamental Tyranny (Read 397 times)
Billie
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Fundamental Tyranny
Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 8:19am
Print Post  
And another, how the tyranny of the TwoParties has removed our choice of representative.

https://theintercept.com/2018/04/26/steny-hoyer-audio-levi-tillemann/

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2018 at 8:47am
Print Post  
I know BobK has covered this, but I thought this was a good explanation-

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/history/americas-economic-history/the-us-two-...

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - May 8th, 2018 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 1:41pm:
You can't ignore the difference between a happy and content citizenry and your country's discontent, corruption at all levels of government, and apparently possibly approaching resorting to revolution in the streets with the guns.

Sorry, 'happy and content' is not a description that comes to mind for any 'developed' country.  To see the most of what remains of happiness and contentment, you have to go to a poor country.  (The only problem for these people being, of course, that they are systematically dispossessed by the global system.)

What makes human beings truly content include close and meaningful relationships with other humans (ie not dogs and cats Smiley  )  Arguably, the worst side effect of artificial wealth floating around in 'rich' countries (by taking from poor and developing countries) is the dissolution of any meaningful tie between financial and social life. The alienation that results, and the epidemic of addiction and psychological disease are no accident.

It used to be, the family was the work unit.  The family needed to stay together to survive.  Going much further back, our deep instincts were honed by eons of living as tribes.  The tribe hunted and gathered, and the tribe must stay together to survive.  The human brain is simply not happy when the person lacks a true, deeply committed, relatively small community of family and friends.

What the global imperialist system tries to do is to build much larger units of 'cohesion' than the human brain evolved to handle.  (Not just at national scale, but lately the empire must be headed by big countries.)  This vast scale of 'unity' has for now proved 'successful' as it has effectively stolen from weaker and/or smaller human units with impunity.  Deep unhappiness, though, is the price paid.

Different Western countries just differ by degree in this unhappiness.

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - May 8th, 2018 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Testing.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - May 8th, 2018 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on May 8th, 2018 at 9:43am:
Sorry, 'happy and content' is not a description that comes to mind for any 'developed' country.  To see the most of what remains of happiness and contentment, you have to go to a poor country.  (The only problem for these people being, of course, that they are systematically dispossessed by the global system.)

I hear you on poor countries being happy and contented, and I can accept your reasons to a degree. But the happiest countries in the world have been described as those that practice socially responsible capitalism. The US is far down the list.

Quote:
What makes human beings truly content include close and meaningful relationships with other humans (ie not dogs and cats Smiley  )

My dogs make me very happy, considering you mention dogs. But they are among the many pleasures in my life that make me happy. Relationships with other humans is indeed a big part of it too.

Quote:
  Arguably, the worst side effect of artificial wealth floating around in 'rich' countries (by taking from poor and developing countries) is the dissolution of any meaningful tie between financial and social life. The alienation that results, and the epidemic of addiction and psychological disease are no accident.

I hear you and agree. The degree to which those problems inflict a country is a big factor. Studies have been done in countries to try to gauge happiness and social contentment is obviously factored in. Wealth would only be a factor to the degree in which people aren't unduly poor.

Quote:
It used to be, the family was the work unit.  The family needed to stay together to survive.  Going much further back, our deep instincts were honed by eons of living as tribes.  The tribe hunted and gathered, and the tribe must stay together to survive.  The human brain is simply not happy when the person lacks a true, deeply committed, relatively small community of family and friends.

What the global imperialist system tries to do is to build much larger units of 'cohesion' than the human brain evolved to handle.  (Not just at national scale, but lately the empire must be headed by big countries.)  This vast scale of 'unity' has for now proved 'successful' as it has effectively stolen from weaker and/or smaller human units with impunity.  Deep unhappiness, though, is the price paid.

You've hit on several key factors which I have to agree on with you.

Quote:
Different Western countries just differ by degree in this unhappiness.

But I can't agree that Western countries can be grouped as the unhappiest countries. You could be erring in your judgment based on your own personal POV.

And so instead of unhappiness, how about happiness! So what makes happiness? Here are what are judged to be the ton 10.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/duncanmadden/2018/03/27/ranked-the-10-happiest-coun...

I don't see anything in that which disagrees with your view of what makes happiness, but it certainly disagrees with your grouping of all Western countries in the way you did.

This link refers to countries far down the list so we can suppose they didn't stop at relatively wealthy countries.

To continue this discussion and find some answers we could look at what those top 10 have in common.

I suggest that 'socially responsible capitalism' should be near the top of the list we arrive at.

Can you think of any other factors responsible that less happy countries don't have?

Frankly Bob, you start good conversations but I have to say that you rarely stick around to finish them or to prove your conclusions. Let's finally make this one an example of you being able to stand your ground.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - May 8th, 2018 at 2:10pm
Print Post  

Ha ha.

I suppose they are happy about being dispossessed?

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - May 8th, 2018 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on May 8th, 2018 at 12:54pm:
I hear you on poor countries being happy and contented...
Ha ha.

Who's happy right now in Venezuela?

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - May 8th, 2018 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
What makes human beings truly content include close and meaningful relationships with other humans...
And people who aren't poor can't have them?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - May 8th, 2018 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on May 8th, 2018 at 2:12pm:
And people who aren't poor can't have them?

Bob isn't suggesting that Craig. IN fact he's suggesting that people can be happy without a lot of money. The people of Venezuela are obviously a lot happier than you today!

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - May 8th, 2018 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on May 8th, 2018 at 7:20pm:
Bob isn't suggesting that Craig. IN fact he's suggesting that people can be happy without a lot of money.
Oh. It sounded like he said only poor people can have satisfying personal relationships.

If you ever find yourself with too much money, and you find it making you unhappy, send it to me. I know good ways to use it. Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Fundamental Tyranny
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy