Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › 45,000 Americans Killed Without Health Care Yearly.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 45,000 Americans Killed Without Health Care Yearly. (Read 1239 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: 45,000 Americans Killed Without Health Care Yearly.
Reply #80 - May 9th, 2018 at 7:28am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on May 8th, 2018 at 11:06pm:
I caught you admitting you talked to Land of Freedom about my "multiple personas" and stating that he "won't do anything about it" which means you were asking him to do something about it. That's reporting.
Everybody knows Don_G lies, and lies about lying. Grin

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #81 - May 9th, 2018 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Quote:
Billing people with no money doesn't accomplish much... What are the hospitals going to do, ask the government to garnish their welfare checks?

Exactly, Billie.  Nothing will be done if you can't pay your hospital bill.  I have yet to hear of a pace maker being repossessed.

Again, Don, non-Americans, including Canadians, piggyback off our healthcare.  What would your healthcare be like if we didn't care our medical technology?

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #82 - May 9th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 9:55am:
Exactly, Billie.  Nothing will be done if you can't pay your hospital bill.  I have yet to hear of a pace maker being repossessed.

Again, Don, non-Americans, including Canadians, piggyback off our healthcare.  What would your healthcare be like if we didn't care our medical technology?

Good question Ruby.

In one sense, health care wouldn't have advanced so far.

In another sense, health care would have advanced further without US over-riding influence.

the libertarian's argument would be that patents and intellectual property should not be allowed to exist. Therefore a good argument could be made to say that the medical field would have advanced faster without those restrictions.

The Soviet Union's communist system made no such restrictions I know of. And besides, other countries of the world have advanced medical knowledge at a comparable rate. (they made large significant advances in the medical field too)

Do those libertarian ideals apply with you Ruby?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #83 - May 9th, 2018 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 9:55am:
Nothing will be done if you can't pay your hospital bill.  I have yet to hear of a pace maker being repossessed.

But wouldn't that be great idea for a movie, though!   Smiley

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #84 - May 9th, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
The U.S. did not hold medical innovation up.  In fact, the U.S. has been advancing medical technology more than any other country, fact.  If you're bothered by this, Don, too bad.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #85 - May 9th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 3:25pm:
The U.S. did not hold medical innovation up.  In fact, the U.S. has been advancing medical technology more than any other country, fact.  If you're bothered by this, Don, too bad. 
Regulation has indeed held things up.

Did you read in that Reason link I posted, you can have your dog immunized against Lyme disease safely and effectively, but not your children. New vaccines take an extraordinary long and expensive time to be authorized by the regulators.

And why not? They never get blamed for the people who die while some medicine or procedure is being held up for authorization by bureaucrats, but the bureaucrats can be held accountable if they approve something that turns out to have bad effects and makes the U.S. Department of Whatever look bad, which means the political appointee who heads the Dept. looks bad,which means the person who appointed him looks bad.

All the incentives lie with holding things up, passing the buck and laying low. If pressured, you can say more studies are needed.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #86 - May 9th, 2018 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 3:25pm:

I'm saying that it's just as possible that 'for profit health care and/or 'for profit' medical science could have held up progress. It's a theme that I've learned from libertarians who abhor patent rights and intellectual property.

Maybe you should be arguinig that side of the question and I should adopt your side.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #87 - May 9th, 2018 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
True, Billie, but it's that way pretty much everywhere.  Bureaucracy is everywhere.

Don, it is America that has been contributing the most to medical innovation, fact.  Deal with it.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #88 - May 9th, 2018 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 9:37pm:
True, Billie, but it's that way pretty much everywhere.  Bureaucracy is everywhere.

Don, it is America that has been contributing the most to medical innovation, fact.  Deal with it.

Do you agree with Craig Sickler that regulations aren't needed for the medical profession? Should Lyme disease vaccines be allowed for children at the same time they're proven safe for animals?

Not for my children or grandchildren. Reminds me too much of thalidomide. You?

I trust our regulatory experts to do the right thing. Do you Americans feel the same way?

On topic: You Americans are allowing people to die without adequate health care. Be that proactive care or otherwise.

I don't invent the facts Ruby, I only bring it to you for your enjoyment.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #89 - May 9th, 2018 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 9:37pm:
Don, it is America that has been contributing the most to medical innovation, fact.

I know.

Yet there's something seriously wrong with this status quo:

1. American companies innovate drugs.
2. American companies charge a lot for what they innovated.
3. Except for the very rich and very poor, Americans cannot afford to pay these costs.
4. Americans go to Canada (which does not innovate as much) to pick up cheap drugs.

Jeff wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 7:28am:
Everybody knows Don_G lies, and lies about lying. Grin

Actually, this time he didn't explicitly lie about lying. He just said I'd never catch him in a mistake, and insulted my intellect, so I immediately caught him in a mistake.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › 45,000 Americans Killed Without Health Care Yearly.
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy