Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Doctoral Degrees in the Sciences
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Doctoral Degrees in the Sciences (Read 661 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Doctoral Degrees in the Sciences
May 1st, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
No, no, I don't want to talk about the historical or philosophical background, I just had an idea that might work for some ambitious mind scientist to gain them a Doctor of Science degree in psychology.

I would never do it myself because I never cared about degrees and am retired and lazy and engaged in other things I like better.

Anyway, the question that occurred to me was, do the minds of people who work for a living differ qualitatively from the minds of people living on the "government dole"?

My hypothesis, based on my grounding in religion and philosophy and history and political economy is, yes, they do.

The challenge for a Doctoral candidate in the Mind Sciences will be to design scientifically valid tests that show qualitative differences in working minds as opposed to idle minds.

Red... Is that question already well covered up by the published literature of mind science?

If not, and you want to use the idea and do the work, go for it.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2018 at 7:51am by Jeff »  

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Re: Doctoral Degrees in the Sciences
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 1st, 2018 at 3:33pm:
No, no, I don't want to talk about the historical or philosophical background, I just had an idea that might work for some ambitious mind scientist to gain them a Doctor of Science degree in psychology.

I would never do it myself because I never cared about degrees and am retired and lazy and engaged in other things I like better.

Anyway, the question that occurred too me was, do the minds of people who work for a living differ qualitatively from the minds of people living on the "government dole"?

My hypothesis, based on my grounding in religion and philosophy and history and political economy is, yes, they do.

The challenge for a Doctoral candidate in the Mind Sciences will be to design scientifically valid tests that show qualitative differences in working minds as opposed to idle minds.

Red... Is that question already well covered up by the published literature of mind science?

You're on the wrong track Sickler. When the opportunity to earn more money working has diminished to the point at which one can earn as much or close to as much on the dole, the more clever mind will choose the dole.

That's an elementary fact of the free enterprise system we all adhere to and promote.

With the industrial revolution, came the beginning of the dole and now in the 21st. century it becomes even more important.

We don't need some wannabe psychologist to tell us that Craig!

The future is in the wealthy looking after all the others. It's their obligation to do so and they will risk revolution if they don't.

There's a communist under every bed, just waiting for the opportunity! America is ripe for the taking!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You're on the wrong track Sickler. When the opportunity to earn more money working has diminished to the point at which one can earn as much or close to as much on the dole, the more clever mind will choose the dole.

That's an elementary fact of the free enterprise system we all adhere to and promote.

With the industrial revolution, came the beginning of the dole and now in the 21st. century it becomes even more important.

We don't need some wannabe psychologist to tell us that Craig!

The future is in the wealthy looking after all the others. It's their obligation to do so and they will risk revolution if they don't.

There's a communist under every bed, just waiting for the opportunity! America is ripe for the taking! 
Off topic replies made out of ignorance will be ignored.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2018 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
People living off the government long term are poor and less educated.  They weren't smart to begin with, nor are they ambitious enough to get an education.  This is why early education is so important.  Stop making schools feel like prison, and inspire in students the joy of learning.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2018 at 7:57am
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on May 1st, 2018 at 9:11pm:
People living off the government long term are poor and less educated.  They weren't smart to begin with, nor are they ambitious enough to get an education.  This is why early education is so important.  Stop making schools feel like prison, and inspire in students the joy of learning.    
I was proposing a scientific study of the qualitative differences in the minds of people who work v. people who are on the dole.

Nevertheless, I'll address your off topic post if you promise to try to stay on topic...

America has gone more and more to "early education" for all children since Head Start began in 1965.

Here are the current results-

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/65-public-school-8th-grad...

It would be a topic of a different dissertation to examine if the minds of rich children differ qualitatively from the minds of poor children, but it's already well proven that the effects of programs like Head Start disappear completely by the third grade.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2018 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 1st, 2018 at 3:33pm:

Anyway, the question that occurred to me was, do the minds of people who work for a living differ qualitatively from the minds of people living on the "government dole"?

See, I knew I wasn't wasting my time with you, Billie!  You are capable of original thought, not like everybody says.

That is an excellent idea.  I don't doubt that the minds of welfare dolees differ significantly from those of people who work for a living.  The real question for the extremely scientific science of mind science will be along the lines of chicken and egg.  Are their minds different because people with certain mind traits go on welfare or do people who go on welfare have their minds altered by the experience of living off the product of the sweat of the hard-working having been robbed by government at gunpoint?  Likely it is some combination of both factors.

It would be also interesting to study whether the mind of a person who expects government to rob the honest to build roads differs from the mind of a person who expects government to rob people to buy him a cell phone.  I'd guess not significantly.

Since my field is Ed Psych, I'd likely do studies on the minds of the children of welfare who are known to struggle academically significantly more than their non-welfare peers.  I'd leave it to Org Psych scientists to study adults.

Thanks, Billie!

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2018 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on May 2nd, 2018 at 8:39am:
See, I knew I wasn't wasting my time with you, Billie!  You are capable of original thought, not like everybody says.

That is an excellent idea.  I don't doubt that the minds of welfare dolees differ significantly from those of people who work for a living
You can use the idea for your dissertation if you want to do the studies.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Since my field is Ed Psych, I'd likely do studies on the minds of the children of welfare who are known to struggle academically significantly more than their non-welfare peers.
I think that's already well described in the literature. It's been known for a long time that the brains of infants and young children are improved by a rich learning environment. Learning at an early age organizes and improves the brain, which makes it easier to learn more in the future. Edit: Being taught some self control helps too, it can help children avoid being diagnosed with ADHD when they get to school!

If you think hashing that over one more time will get you a Doctorate, go for it.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2018 at 9:30am
Print Post  

That is an excellent idea.  I don't doubt that the minds of welfare dolees differ significantly from those of people who work for a living.
Red, if you decide to use my idea, don't forget to include the idle rich.

Most rich people get that way by working long and hard, and even some who inherit wealth have to work before they inherit anything, but some of the rich never worked and still don't...
Those are the one's you should use.

It would be interesting to learn if the minds of rich people who have never worked are qualitatively similar to the minds of people on welfare who have never worked.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2018 at 9:37am
Print Post  
The poor tend not to value learning the same way the middle and upper classes do, which is a big reason why their children often don't do well in school, then drop out and don't bother to exercise their brains.  I do think you have a point, Billie.  Use it or lose it.  At the same time, there are plenty of jobs that can be done by people with low IQs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Doctoral Degrees in the Sciences
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy