Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Established Businesses LOVE Regulation - Even Louisiana Florists
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Established Businesses LOVE Regulation - Even Louisiana Florists (Read 143 times)
SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Established Businesses LOVE Regulation - Even Louisiana Florists
May 9th, 2018 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
BATON ROUGE, La. –  In Louisiana, florists must know the proper storage temperature for plants, wiring methods for various flowers and how to construct a cascade bouquet. They pay $100 a year.

The Pelican state is the only state in the country that requires a license to sell flowers, a distinction that has become a point of contention among florists who say it legitimizes their trade and state lawmakers who feel Louisiana is too overwhelmed with a dizzying number of professional license requirements.

State lawmakers wanted to cut back on the number of licenses by eliminating the floral one. That has drawn the ire of florists who take pride in regulating their profession – by weeding out people who know little about floral arrangements.

If someone knows little about floral arrangements, customers won't buy their flowers.  Duh!  What the "licensed" florists are afraid of is more competition from innovators who may come up new methods other than those tested by the state of Louisiana.  $100 per year is pretty cheap for armed enforcers to keep anyone from competing with your business.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Established Businesses LOVE Regulation - Even Louisiana Florists
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2018 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Excellent! Burnsred has found one regulation in a batshit crazy racist state that should legitimately be eliminated. Of the thousands of regulations they have, there could be another one or two?

There's little doubt that white only drinking fountains was another good example that was begrudginly dropped.

I bet I can find some regulations that restrict black people from enjoying their rights and freedoms, even today!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2018 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 1:16pm:
Excellent! Burnsred has found one regulation in a batshit crazy racist state that should legitimately be eliminated.
Ease up on the hate Donat dear! Shocked

Anyway, I think it's now your turn to support your claims with a specific regulation that should be kept.

It's just a suggestion, but I'd hope you find one that was written pursuant to the ACA, which you love so much. Cheesy

Please be as specific as was Red. Thanks.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2018 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
This won't just go away under libertarianism.

Out of 500 lawsuits against florists, the ones that succeed, thanks to big lawyers doing what they do best and using the civil law system, will be the ones against the small-time florists.

If they can't afford to pay $100/year, they won't be able to pay better lawyers than the bigger companies.

This sort of artificial entry barrier is a product of human nature, not of government.

They just use government. Take that away and they'll use something else.

I'm not saying lobbying isn't the cheapest, easiest way to get what you want, but that's because politicians sell their souls on the cheap.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2018 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
See, this is the silly legislation/regulation that happens when a state government becomes too large/powerful.

I know.  I live in the state with the biggest/most powerful state government in the nation (California).

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2018 at 8:54am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 10:35pm:
See, this is the silly legislation/regulation that happens when a state government becomes too large/powerful.

I know.  I live in the state with the biggest/most powerful state government in the nation (California).
It's far worse than just silly Chief.

http://reason.com/archives/2018/05/10/the-tyranny-of-the-administrative-state?ut...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2018 at 9:01am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 10:23pm:
This won't just go away under libertarianism.

What is required is to limit government, to require that all legislative power resides in the elected representative bodies, and to limit the reach of their legislating to specific enumerated areas and specific enumerated powers.

A government with no specific enumerated power to interfere in the market for the creation and sale of new products has no power to "regulate" new products and won't create a bureaucracy to do it, because they won't have that power either.

Limited government was an idea that classical liberals saw as essential to human liberty, and they designed a pretty good one. "Libertarianism" is trying to return to having one, to re-limit government.

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2018 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 11th, 2018 at 9:01am:
What is required is to limit government, to require that all legislative power resides in the elected representative bodies, and to limit the reach of their legislating to specific enumerated areas and specific enumerated powers.

A government with no specific enumerated power to interfere in the market for the creation and sale of new products has no power to "regulate" new products and won't create a bureaucracy to do it, because they won't have that power either.

Limited government was an idea that classical liberals saw as essential to human liberty, and they designed a pretty good one. "Libertarianism" is trying to return to having one, to re-limit government.

There isn't any chance of discussing the issue without extremism being introduced. Most regulations are good and necessary but there are exceptions. I don't think the libertarian mindset is anywhere near to accepting that idea.

That's where the Chief is the worst offender and usually barges in to derail any progress. Others to varying degrees.

Most fear a rational discussion because their idea of libertarianism can't stand the light of day.

You could work on helping me change that if you're not afraid too.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 11th, 2018 at 9:01am:

Well stated!  Cheers    Smiley

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
Well stated!  Cheers    Smiley
Thanks.

Unfortunately, The Opposition believes that money and finance and the entire economy must be controlled by government bureaucrats in order to help bring on pure communism and paradise on earth.

Venezuela is a good current real world example of how well the bureaucrats and planners work for their communist masters.

"We pretend to work and they pretend to pay us." That's something out of the Soviet Union, Marx's best real world test, unless you think Mao had better ideas?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Established Businesses LOVE Regulation - Even Louisiana Florists
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy