Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › California Leads Again!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) California Leads Again! (Read 270 times)
ahhell
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: California Leads Again!
Reply #20 - May 10th, 2018 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I oppose it, both due to the forcing the choice on people and that its not at all progressive.  Driving up the cost of housing in a state where housing is already unaffordable.  Its a wealth transfer from the majority of the population to the connected.  Those with interests in solar power.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - May 10th, 2018 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 12:45pm:
I don't know about your math but it was stated as costing $40 more on a mortage but saving $80 a month. That's $40 to the good!

The government doesn't need to make those kinds of decisions for Californians.  We are adults.  We don't need or want a Government Nanny to make these decisions.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - May 10th, 2018 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 12:55pm:
I oppose it, both due to the forcing the choice on people and that its not at all progressive.  Driving up the cost of housing in a state where housing is already unaffordable. 

Thanks for your clarification. I pretty well expected that you would oppose it because you view it as forcing the choice on people.

But I'm surprised that you would oppose it because it drives up the cost of mortgages. My opinion is that it's a very minimal increase and it's a fully warranted move to make for reasons we both understand and support. (read that for what it means)

And I only call it progressive in the true sense of the word, 'progressive'.

[quote]Its a wealth transfer from the majority of the population to the connected.  Those with interests in solar power. 

I don't get what you mean by a 'wealth transfer'?
You definitely seem to be saying that you're opposed to solar power. Are you?

If you are then that's where I may start to question your credibility, depedning on whether I view your reasons as valid or not.

Please don't get the idea that I don't respect your opinion. I do and it's one of a very few opinions that are worth any respect on this forum.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - May 10th, 2018 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 12:55pm:
I oppose it, both due to the forcing the choice on people and that its not at all progressive.  Driving up the cost of housing in a state where housing is already unaffordable.  Its a wealth transfer from the majority of the population to the connected.  Those with interests in solar power. 
And the connections are probably there. Legislators or their friends and families will very likely stand to profit hugely.

I wonder if they thought far enough ahead to require that solar panels must be purchased only from approved licensed solar panel producers, you know, for safety.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - May 10th, 2018 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 2:20pm:
And the connections are probably there. Legislators or their friends and families will very likely stand to profit hugely.

I wonder if they thought far enough ahead to require that solar panels must be purchased only from approved licensed solar panel producers, you know, for safety.

Behind California, Arizona and North Carolina have the most solar power and I don't think either of them had to be forced into it.

Would that be a good thing Craig, or would that be a bad thing? The solar energy that is, we know that sometimes force is necessary. Non-government force at least!

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - May 10th, 2018 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 3:13pm:
Behind California, Arizona and North Carolina have the most solar power and I don't think either of them had to be forced into it.

Rebates and regulations Donat. There are state laws that require a certain percentage of electricity to be generated by "renewable" means by certain specified times, and taxpayers are forced to subsidize the purchase of solar panels, just like there are "free" public hookups to re-charge your Tesla at no cost to you.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - May 10th, 2018 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 3:19pm:
Rebates and regulations Donat. There are state laws that require a certain percentage of electricity to be generated by "renewable" means by certain specified times, and taxpayers are forced to subsidize the purchase of solar panels, just like there are "free" public hookups to re-charge your Tesla at no cost to you.

Yeah I know Craig. That's progressive! And N.C. is one of the leaders.

But why Arizona and N.C especially? People moving to solar of their own accord to save money?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - May 10th, 2018 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Here's an alternative perspective.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2018/05/07/texas-produces-double-the-re...

Oil loving environment hating Texas produces twice as much renewable energy as hippie dippie authoritarian CA.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - May 10th, 2018 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 1:06pm:
I don't get what you mean by a 'wealth transfer'?
You definitely seem to be saying that you're opposed to solar power. Are you?

If you are then that's where I may start to question your credibility, depedning on whether I view your reasons as valid or not.

Please don't get the idea that I don't respect your opinion. I do and it's one of a very few opinions that are worth any respect on this forum.
I object to forcing people to buy solar panels, I actually have solar panels on my own home.

If you force people to buy something they don't want it is a wealth transfer from those people to the producers of the thing they don't want.  Seems pretty clear. Aside from the obvious, it will drive prices up, filling the wallets of producers even more. 

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - May 10th, 2018 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 3:48pm:
I object to forcing people to buy solar panels, I actually have solar panels on my own home.

If you force people to buy something they don't want it is a wealth transfer from those people to the producers of the thing they don't want.  Seems pretty clear. Aside from the obvious, it will drive prices up, filling the wallets of producers even more. 

Maybe we're getting around to talking about the real issue from your POV?

Some things have to be forced onto people. This speaks to regulations and why 999 out of 1000 are probably very necessary. Or (choose your number) out of 1000.

And also that which needs mentioning is that when people willingly comply with the necessities, it won't be viewed as force.

I think it's fair to say that this is mostly a political opinion on whether solar panels are a necessity or not.

You got into solar and didn't cut your nose off to spite your face. I wonder if the others did likewise?

Which brings me to: A common sense approach to government or even libertarianism is going to win the day eventually. We're going to throw out all the nonsense and the bullshit, one by one!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › California Leads Again!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy