Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › "Do you Wish to Support . . . "
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic "Do you Wish to Support . . . " (Read 78 times)
SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

"Do you Wish to Support . . . "
May 16th, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Renewing my Texas drivers license and the application form asks four of five questions in the form of, "Do you wish to support Texas veterans?  If yes, give amount of donation $____.__ . " It was like blind people, organ donor registry, sex assault victims, etc.   At first, I was annoyed.  Bad enough I have to pay to renew it and I can only renew online every other time so I have to live through the nightmare of the DMV.  But now they're asking for more stinkin' money!

Then, I realize - this is exactly how the gov should fund its wonderful programs for blind Texans who are victims of sex assault and who need organ donations or whatever.   Voluntary contributions. 

Oppo would love it.  "Do you wish to feed babies abandoned by  both parents who are not even cute enough to be adopted?  If yes, state amount $____.__."  Come on, who's not gonna say, "what the heck?"  Round my twenty-five dollar fee to an even thirty for the poor ugly little bastages."

Who would suffer under voluntary funding only?  The working poor?  Nope.  Hungry children?  Nope.  Battered women?  Nope.  All would have plenty of people donating to them.  Who would lose out would be the baby daddies of the hungry children who battered the women.  No donations for "able-bodies men who think its racist to say they should work for a living."  Then again, maybe some millionaire rappers or some guilty white lawyers will be willing to pony up for them.  In which case, it's none of my f'ing business, more power to 'em.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: "Do you Wish to Support . . . "
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2018 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 3:51pm:
Renewing my Texas drivers license and the application form asks four of five questions in the form of, "Do you wish to support Texas veterans?  If yes, give amount of donation $____.__ . " It was like blind people, organ donor registry, sex assault victims, etc.   At first, I was annoyed.  Bad enough I have to pay to renew it and I can only renew online every other time so I have to live through the nightmare of the DMV.  But now they're asking for more stinkin' money!

Then, I realize - this is exactly how the gov should fund its wonderful programs for blind Texans who are victims of sex assault and who need organ donations or whatever.   Voluntary contributions. 

Oppo would love it.  "Do you wish to feed babies abandoned by  both parents who are not even cute enough to be adopted?  If yes, state amount $____.__."  Come on, who's not gonna say, "what the heck?"  Round my twenty-five dollar fee to an even thirty for the poor ugly little bastages."

Who would suffer under voluntary funding only?  The working poor?  Nope.  Hungry children?  Nope.  Battered women?  Nope.  All would have plenty of people donating to them.  Who would lose out would be the baby daddies of the hungry children who battered the women.  No donations for "able-bodies men who think its racist to say they should work for a living."  Then again, maybe some millionaire rappers or some guilty white lawyers will be willing to pony up for them.  In which case, it's none of my f'ing business, more power to 'em.

Yes yes, it's shameful that they ask for donations to do what our tax money is supposed to have been doing all along (so they told us when they raised our taxes)... But you don't have to answer the questions and you don't have to donate.

Don't you have something better to go off on?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2018 at 11:14pm
Print Post  

Yup.

Right again. It's simply because anything else is a violation of rights.

I would simultaneously prioritise minorities myself and be ecstatic that no one else would give to them.

The loudest voices for anti-racism are empty when it comes to any action that involves a sacrifice for themselves. They subsist entirely upon forcing other people to exemplify the morality they refuse to.

Fortunately, everyone has found out that the vociferous type is advantaged over the actually doing the self-sacrificing thing type. They've all become Donnie Boys, screeching at each other to find out who's got the biggest, loudest mouth. Who can denounce racism the hardest? Who can bag the most commies?

Not a one of them would actually give to these programmes.

This parallels my society must collapse thesis pretty well: You get more out of making sure other people are moral than being moral yourself. Well, everyone thinks, imma become a Donnie Boy type then. That type is advantaged. Pretty soon everyone is a Royal Screecher, no one is doing the moral thing, and the morality train runs out of resources - in this case, morality.

Boom. Collapse.

The thing that makes this necessary is that the getting-other-people-to-do-stuff type is advantaged over the doing-stuff type until the first type outnumbers the second and system failure is inevitable.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
The more I think about this idea, the more I like it.

Instead of having that question on a drivers license form,* put ads on facebook.  Targetted ads, which are the most effective.  Someone posts a picture of their cute dog in a party hat?  Wait an hour and target an ad to them featuring dogs in need.  Animal shelters would be easily funded and wouldn't have to kill the animals after ten days.

Someone searches on Keanu Reeves?  Send them ads to support AIDS research.  Click on an ad to donate to a police officer's charity?  You will be targetted for ads to donate to your local police headquarters.  They won't even have to write tickets anymore to stay in business.

*because in a libertarian society, people would say, "a drivers license?  What's that?"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2018 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 3:02pm:
The more I think about this idea, the more I like it.

Instead of having that question on a drivers license form,* put ads on facebook.  Targetted ads, which are the most effective.  Someone posts a picture of their cute dog in a party hat?  Wait an hour and target an ad to them featuring dogs in need.  Animal shelters would be easily funded and wouldn't have to kill the animals after ten days.

Someone searches on Keanu Reeves?  Send them ads to support AIDS research.  Click on an ad to donate to a police officer's charity?  You will be targetted for ads to donate to your local police headquarters.  They won't even have to write tickets anymore to stay in business.

*because in a libertarian society, people would say, "a drivers license?  What's that?"

I don't think your new meds are working... Or are you getting off of them cold turkey like the lizard is trying to do?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2018 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 5:14pm:
I don't think your new meds are working... Or are you getting off of them cold turkey like the lizard is trying to do?

You can't understand anything posted here, so why don't you just leave?

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2018 at 6:23am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 11:18pm:
You can't understand anything posted here, so why don't you just leave?
I understand Red is back on his "taxes are theft and everything government does could be funded voluntarily" kick.

I guess the allure of anarchy is so strong for him he can't leave it alone for long.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2018 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 6:23am:
I understand Red is back on his "taxes are theft and everything government does could be funded voluntarily" kick.

I guess the allure of anarchy is so strong for him he can't leave it alone for long.

How can anarchy, which believes there should be no government at all, favor voluntary funding of government?

Your mistake is to come to a libertarian forum and advocate for less theft and less slavery instead of no theft and no slavery. 

In fact, since you favor conscription and we don't have conscription currently, you actually favor more slavery than our current government practices.

My ideas would work extremely well.  Let's say you search google for "sports car."  You would be targeted with ads saying, "When you buy your new sports car, do you want smooth, modern roads to drive it on?  Of course you do!  Indicate the amount you are willing to donate to build and maintain them here:"

Your only objection to that could be that not enough force is being used.  You, sir, are no libertarian.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › "Do you Wish to Support . . . "
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy