Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why Statists Ridicule "thoughts and prayers."
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why Statists Ridicule "thoughts and prayers." (Read 1229 times)
SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Why Statists Ridicule "thoughts and prayers."
May 21st, 2018 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Of course if your goal is to control people while at the same time convincing them that being controlled has far greater benefit to them than being free, the last thing you want them to do is think and the next to the last thing you want them to do is pray.  Each of these activities is individual, not counting publicly led prayer, which often is simply a continuation or an introduction to a sermon rather than an actual communication with a deity. 

The fact that a political movement relies on avoiding critical thinking by individuals should be enough to tell individuals that this movement doesn't have their best interests in mind.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why Statists Ridicule "thoughts and prayers."
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2018 at 11:36am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 9:33am:
The fact that a political movement relies on avoiding critical thinking by individuals should be enough to tell individuals that this movement doesn't have their best interests in mind.

Are you suggesting that public prayer and critical thinking are somehow linked?

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2018 at 11:53am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 11:36am:

No, Chief.  I specifically excluded publicly led prayer:

SnarkySack wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 9:33am:
Each of these activities is individual, not counting publicly led prayer, which often is simply a continuation or an introduction to a sermon rather than an actual communication with a deity. 

Public led prayer is one of the most obvious manifestations of "groupthink," and thus is not about critical thinking.  Private prayer, since it is a method of mindfully directing one's own thoughts, is certainly conducive to critical thinking.  Much more so than the blind acceptance required to maintain an authoritarian statist mentality.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2018 at 11:58am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 11:36am:

No silly, he's suggesting that prayer and critical thinking are linked.
We statists, according to burnsred, don't want people to pray because if they stop praying then they stop thinking. Right?

In reality, if we can get them to stop praying, they might be able to start thinking critically.

Very fking twisted logic so it was worth trying to decipher it.

If it worked for libertarians then it would be worth debating, but it doesn't work for them either. It might work for Craig Sickler but then why would burnsred try to get that one over on him?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2018 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 11:53am:
  Private prayer, since it is a method of mindfully directing one's own thoughts, is certainly conducive to critical thinking.  Much more so than the blind acceptance required to maintain an authoritarian statist mentality.

So then Private prayer equates to, or requires critical thinking?  Seriously?   

prayer (noun):
a solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship.

Critical thinking (noun):
the objective analysis and evaluation of an issue in order to form a judgment.

These terms couldn't be more contrary. 

Critical thinking was the very reason I gave up praying.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 12:04pm:

prayer (noun):
a solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship.

Critical thinking was the main reason I gave up prayers.

Well done Chief! You've been led back on track by both of us and now you're cutting right to the chase. Now just hold burnsred's feet to the fire and make him stand behind his bullshit. I'll help you if you can't figure it out for yourself!

And also fwiw, he can't say anything to me to get himself out of his dog shit he's stepping in.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 11:53am:
No, Chief.  I specifically excluded publicly led prayer:

Public led prayer is one of the most obvious manifestations of "groupthink," and thus is not about critical thinking.  Private prayer, since it is a method of mindfully directing one's own thoughts, is certainly conducive to critical thinking.  Much more so than the blind acceptance required to maintain an authoritarian statist mentality.

Heh heh! No burnsred, you bozo, one doesn't qualify the other. Mindless praying fantasies is no more related to critical thinking than authoritarian mentality.

Best take time out to clean the dog shit off your slippers! LOL

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2018 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I basically agree with Don on this.  Praying does not equal thinking, especially not critical thinking.

People ridicule thoughts and prayers because they have as much effect as comments on an internet forum.  The sentiment rings especially hollow in the face of a tragedy that progressives think could have been prevented by enacting laws that the prayer wouldn't pass. 

I think they are wrong about that last bit but I understand why it would generate scorn.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 12:42pm:
I basically agree with Don on this.  Praying does not equal thinking, especially not critical thinking.

People ridicule thoughts and prayers because they have as much effect as comments on an internet forum.  The sentiment rings especially hollow in the face of a tragedy that progressives think could have been prevented by enacting laws that the prayer wouldn't pass. 

I think they are wrong about that last bit but I understand why it would generate scorn.

Could you explain that which I've bolded? Do you mean the 'pray-er' in the sense of the person doing the praying?

And then, enacting what laws?

I just can't figure why burnsred would say such a ridiculous thing as what he said in his OP?

It says that he believes it! (most likely)

or

He might be able to pass it off as a hook for Sickler because he knows Sickler could equate prayer with critical thinking? (very unlikely)

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2018 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 12:04pm:

prayer (noun):

Critical thinking was the very reason I gave up praying.

Then you gave up a valuable tool in your quest to think critically.

Private prayer allows, and often requires, that a person not only think, but to be mindful about those thoughts.  Thinking about thinking, if you will.  Whether an actual deity "hears" those thoughts is irrelevant to that point.  If you believe that God is listening when you pray, of course you would be careful not to pray for things that are inappropriate to pray for.  So you would have to analyze your own thoughts for that appropriateness, hot being led by anyone else but yourself. 

It is up to the individual to decide what is appropriate to pray for and whether his or her particular prayers fit in with that definition.  How could one think any more critically than that?

If your point is nothing more than, 'religion is stoopid!' then that is a nearly perfect stance to take if your goal is to make sure people are put off of the idea of libertarianism.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why Statists Ridicule "thoughts and prayers."
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy