Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › N.K./Trump Summit in June May be Delayed.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) N.K./Trump Summit in June May be Delayed. (Read 1067 times)
Tom Palven
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: N.K./Trump Summit in June May be Delayed.
Reply #90 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 5:35am
Print Post  
Just one day to go.

The Deep State/Military-Industrial Complex is so heavily invested, both financially and emotionally, in control of the Korean peninsula and the South China Sea that it can't possibly allow this ignorant upstart Trump to give away the farm.

It will pull out all the stops to continue to prevent friendship and trade between North and South Korea, and it will be interesting to see what these actions amount to.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #91 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 5:35am:
Just one day to go.
...[Deep State/Military-Industrial Complex] will pull out all the stops to continue to prevent friendship and trade between North and South Korea, and it will be interesting to see what these actions amount to.

Don't expect much negotiating at tomorrow's meeting. 

Think of it more as a photo-op for Trump.  If he can manage to show up (on time) and refrain from saying something stupid, the summit will be a success.  Trump won't make any rash decisions that will ruffle the Deep State's feathers.      (Not tomorrow, anyways.)

I think Trump's plan is to use these meetings with Young Kim as political leverage for re-election in 2020.

He will ask Americans to vote for him so he can continue dialog with North Korea.  He will tell us that if he doesn't get a second term, all progress will have been for naught.   

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #92 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
It's still a long time until the next presidential election.  I don't think stringing out this process will work for re-election.

Apparently, little Kim is being treated like a rock star, he's warmly received where ever he goes.  Why does he get such treatment when he's starving his own people?  It's this behavior that keeps evil dictators in power.

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #93 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 7:45pm
Print Post  

If Kim's team annouces loudly that North Korea wants to destroy all its nukes and nuke-building capability immediately in exchange for the simple promise of nonaggression by the US and its allies, it will force Trump's hand, and the Deep State will have to come up with some way to wiggle of of its predicament.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #94 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Well, I certainly called that one.

SkyChief wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 12:27pm:
Don't expect much negotiating at tomorrow's meeting. 

Think of it more as a photo-op for Trump.  If he can manage to show up (on time) and refrain from saying something stupid, the summit will be a success.    

Their "meeting" lasted less than 4 minutes.

Negotiations = ZERO. But it was still a tremendous [News Media] success.

Lots of useful pictures, though....exactly as I had predicted.

Ask me what will transpire on the next "summit".     Smiley

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #95 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 7:48am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 9:31pm:
Well, I certainly called that one.

Their "meeting" lasted less than 4 minutes.

Negotiations = ZERO. But it was still a tremendous [News Media] success.

Lots of useful pictures, though....exactly as I had predicted.

Ask me what will transpire on the next "summit".     Smiley

I agree.

The peace deal that Trump and Kim signed isn't the end-all and be-all, but it sure is better than this peacenik expected.
https://news.antiwar.com/2018/06/11/trump-kim-sign-joint-letter-amid-singapore-s...

Now, Kim and Moon can sign their own agreement that will contravene the US Congress, allowing trade between the two Koreas and ignoring the US sanctions and embargo, which the US Congress is very unlikely to suspend, without repercussions.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #96 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Less than 4 minutes? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/trump-kim-agree-to-work-toward-denucleariza...

Quote:
Both leaders expressed optimism throughout roughly five hours of talks, with Trump thanking Kim afterward “for taking the first bold step toward a bright new future for his people.”

It's really too early to declare this process a failure.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #97 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 7:48am:
Now, Kim and Moon can sign their own agreement that will contravene the US Congress, allowing trade between the two Koreas and ignoring the US sanctions and embargo, which the US Congress is very unlikely to suspend, without repercussions.

I hope they do.

And I hope Moon demands that US remove all military assets - weapons, hardware, and personnel - from South Korea.

Trump will have no choice but to comply - if he resists, it will be seen as a roadblock toward peace on the peninsula.   His Nobel Peace Prize would seriously be in jeopardy.

This would also take a lot of pressure off Trump about dealing with the humanitarian crisis in North Korea.  The responsibility of dealing with the atrocities done to North Koreans would shift to Prez. Moon.

This would help Trump immensely, as the Left-wing Media folks are already scolding him for not addressing the humanitarian crisis at yesterday's summit.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #98 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 11:53am:
I hope they do.

And I hope Moon demands that US remove all military assets - weapons, hardware, and personnel - from South Korea.

Trump will have no choice but to comply - if he resists, it will be seen as a roadblock toward peace on the peninsula.   His Nobel Peace Prize would seriously be in jeopardy.

This would also take a lot of pressure off Trump about dealing with the humanitarian crisis in North Korea.  The responsibility of dealing with the atrocities done to North Koreans would shift to Prez. Moon.

This would help Trump immensely, as the Left-wing Media folks are already scolding him for not addressing the humanitarian crisis at yesterday's summit.

The last two GOP presidents have been fully aware that the media is never going to be fair with them, so they have cheerfully ignored them.  I love the way Trump sends Sarah Sanders to schoolmarm them like the petulant know-it-all teenagers they emulate.

I have to wonder now whether Trump's complaining way back during the campaign about the money we spend on joint exercises with South Korea was intended to lay the groundwork for him to be able to concede that to Li'l Kim without going back on his statement that he won't lift any sanctions until there is full denuclearization. 

Trump is known for being a reactor but he didn't make his billions by not planning ahead.

As statists go, he's not the worst one we've ever had in the White House by a long stretch. 

I hope Tom is right about NK and SK trading with each other.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #99 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 5:03am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › N.K./Trump Summit in June May be Delayed.
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy