Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Harley-Davidson: Made in Taiwan!
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Harley-Davidson: Made in Taiwan! (Read 960 times)
Don_G
Ex Member

Harley-Davidson: Made in Taiwan!
May 23rd, 2018 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
https://www.harley-davidsontaipei.com.tw/

I chose this link to the story purposely because it's better that libertarians provide their own spin on this!

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Harley-Davidson: Made in Taiwan!
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2018 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
https://www.harley-davidsontaipei.com.tw/

I chose this link to the story purposely because it's better that libertarians provide their own spin on this!
They're looking for hard working skilled workers to build their products. They are also probably looking to get rid of the union that has resulted in them having a lazy incompetent workforce.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2018 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 3:15pm:
They're looking for hard working skilled workers to build their products. They are also probably looking to get rid of the union that has resulted in them having a lazy incompetent workforce.

Yes of course! But they're mainly looking for lower wages ini Taiwan in order to make MORE profit. That which should be of interest to you is just how much profit they are making with American workers. If they're making enough profit to keep operating then that's a good case for demanding they stay in the US.

That will be a measure of whther the shareholders are happy with their profit. It should be a measure of whether the company can continue to employ workers. You understand the concept.

And you're dead right about them wanting to get rid of unions. If enough profit for the shareholders isn't being made then getting rid of unions will go a long way toward increasing profit.

Good wages are related to lower shareholder profit.

Low wages are related to higher shareholder profits.

I don't consider your suggestion that unions equal loss of productivity. There's evidence to show that union operations in this field are more productive than non-union.

Taiwan won't pose any union or profit problems for Harley. The workers accept their bag of rice or they are told to hit the road.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2018 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes of course! But they're mainly looking for lower wages ini Taiwan in order to make MORE profit.
I thought they were losing money lately and in danger of going out of business?

They could pay the same wages to Taiwanese workers and still cut their labor cost by 42.68% while getting a better product... What's to think about?

They could try relocating to a "progressive"  place and becoming cronies... No, wait, they've been a crony business for a long, long time.

Maybe that's the problem. If they were smart, they'd move to Canada, right?

Edit: That's my theory that if you want to be a successful crony, you have to pick a compliant "socially responsible" government. Roll Eyes

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Tommy Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  

The nouveau riche Chinese may be buying Harleys, but according to Wiki, the only overseas manufacturers are in Brazil and India.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2018 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Tommy Palven wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 7:40pm:
The nouveau riche Chinese may be buying Harleys, but according to Wiki, the only overseas manufacturers are in Brazil and India.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson
That's probably why Harley is relocating some manufacturing to China. Edit: The real China. Free China. The one located on Taiwan.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2018 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 7:23pm:
I thought they were losing money lately and in danger of going out of business?

In truth, far from it.

Quote:
They could pay the same wages to Taiwanese workers and still cut their labor cost by 42.68% while getting a better product... What's to think about?

I really doubt it but that leaves a lot to talk about. Tell us why American workers can't do it but Taiwanese workers can.

Quote:
They could try relocating to a "progressive"  place and becoming cronies... No, wait, they've been a crony business for a long, long time.

Never mind. You've become an angry writeoff from the lickings you've received. I would rather talk about that.

IP Logged

Tommy Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2018 at 1:17am
Print Post  
I found this aticle about Harley Davidson building a plant in Thailand, and another  article about Harley opening it's first dealership in Taiwan, but I still don't see where they are building, or going to build, Harleys in either Taiwan or mainland China.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/business/harley-davidson-thailand-factory-man...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2018 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Tommy Palven wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 1:17am:
I found this aticle about Harley Davidson building a plant in Thailand, and another  article about Harley opening it's first dealership in Taiwan, but I still don't see where they are building, or going to build, Harleys in either Taiwan or mainland China.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/business/harley-davidson-thailand-factory-man...
So Don_G was lying again?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2018 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 9:12am:
So Don_G was lying again?

Yeah, the plant is purely decorative.

Figure out the truth and let me know. Do it before the spin gets out of control and hurts Trump's credibility.

But I'm delighted to learn that you are showing enough concern for H-D that you're interested in defending Trump and not H-D workers who are losing their jobs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Harley-Davidson: Made in Taiwan!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy