Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Happy GDPR Day!
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Happy GDPR Day! (Read 667 times)
Don_G
Ex Member

Happy GDPR Day!
May 25th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Read the story.

https://www.rt.com/news/427793-gdpr-europe-react-facebook-lawsuit-memes/

Read the story if you're interested.

Quote:
While the idea of being banned from reading news did not sit all too well with Europeans, some of the top US outlets preferred to stay barred in Europe rather than agree to the new set of privacy rules.

Seems to me to be something that would be of interest to libertarians. But I can't quite imagine how they will receive it?

I'm most interested in your response Chief.

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Happy GDPR Day!
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Shouldn't you have replied to yourself by now?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2018 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Quote:
Read the story if you're interested.

Seems to me to be something that would be of interest to libertarians.

Sure - It's their right to stay misinformed.  Rejecting factual information is par for the course when it comes to statists/globalists.

*yawn*

Anything else?

"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  - Thomas Jefferson

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2018 at 9:28am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 2:01am:
Sure - It's their right to stay misinformed.  Rejecting factual information is par for the course when it comes to statists/globalists.

*yawn*

Anything else?

"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  - Thomas Jefferson

Good Jefferson quote Chief, thanks.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2018 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 2:01am:

*yawn*

Anything else?

They've simply decided to protect the people's right to not have their private information misused by Google and Facebook.

I just thought that libertarians would be in favour of that. I guess we would have to get ahhell's opinion in order to know. Your bad feelings for me makes your knee jerk.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I just thought that libertarians would be in favour of that. I guess we would have to get ahhell's opinion in order to know. Your bad feelings for me makes your knee jerk.

Yah, I went off a little half-cocked.  Sorry.  Embarrassed

I think the Europeans have every right to be happy that US News sites are now being blocked.  Most of it is fake news, anyway... no great loss.

I don't think they should sue facebook though.  Everyone knows (or should know) that facebook gathers user's data for marketing purposes.   Facebook has to make money somehow, otherwise they'd go out of business.

If the Europeans don't want facebook to gather personal data, they can simply use a different social media platform.   No need to sue...   Roll Eyes

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2018 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 3:46pm:
I think the Europeans have every right to be happy that US News sites are now being blocked. Roll Eyes

I bet all they read anyway was stuff from RT.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - May 26th, 2018 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
If the Europeans don't want facebook to gather personal data, they can simply use a different social media platform.   No need to sue...   Roll Eyes

Yah, having "socially responsible governments" as they do, there are probably government controlled "social media platforms" already being activated. If you google anything in Europe, Google will now take you to RT...
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2018 at 6:57pm by Jeff »  

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2018 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Yah, I went off a little half-cocked.  Sorry.  Embarrassed

I think the Europeans have every right to be happy that US News sites are now being blocked.  Most of it is fake news, anyway... no great loss.

I don't think they should sue facebook though.  Everyone knows (or should know) that facebook gathers user's data for marketing purposes.   Facebook has to make money somehow, otherwise they'd go out of business.

They can demand that facebook be regulated to stay within the bounds they expect. Facebook can either abide by their laws or not be permitted to operate in their countries.

What's complicated about that? Wouldn't the US expect the same? A better question is, 'shouldn't' the US expect the same?

I don't really see any compromise in libertarian principles in what the EU has decided.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2018 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
They can demand that facebook be regulated to stay within the bounds they expect. Facebook can either abide by their laws or not be permitted to operate in their countries.
I don't really see any compromise in libertarian principles in what the EU has decided.

Actually, ALL regulation is a compromise in libertarian principles. Libertarians believe in self-governance. That's an important part of self-ownership.   Nobody ever accused Europe of being libertarian with their policies.   

But I agree that facebook must abide by any regulations that are imposed on them by Europe.  Hopefully, we'll never see those kinds of regulations in the US. 

It's SO unAmerican.   Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Happy GDPR Day!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy