Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Active Shooter - The Video Game - Should It Be Banned?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Active Shooter - The Video Game - Should It Be Banned? (Read 692 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Active Shooter - The Video Game - Should It Be Banned?
May 29th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
"Active Shooter" encourages players open fire inside classrooms and auditoriums as a heavy metal soundtrack thumps in the background, and is set to launch on June 6.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/active-shooter-video-game-prompts-outrage-a...

It's in bad taste - no question about it.   But it should be allowed to be released, imo. 

Let the market decide if the video game is successful or a flop.

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Active Shooter - The Video Game - Should It Be Banned?
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2018 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 29th, 2018 at 11:47am:
"Active Shooter" encourages players open fire inside classrooms and auditoriums as a heavy metal soundtrack thumps in the background, and is set to launch on June 6.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/active-shooter-video-game-prompts-outrage-a...

It's in bad taste - no question about it.   But it should be allowed to be released, imo. 

Let the market determine if the video game is successful or a flop.

by that logic the postcal games should be baned honstly i dont see the big deal its hyst a game what next book baning ur right let the freemartket diside but alot adults have a dis rational fear of the youth

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  

Let the market determine if the video game is successful or a flop.

NO! Games like that should be encouraged in the US.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2018 at 1:41am
Print Post  

Let the market decide if the video game is successful or a flop.

It should be allowed.

However, if a significant number of people play it and then actually shoot up schools, the families of the bereaved should absolutely be able to sue the makers of the game.

And they should win if there's a correlation.

You have every right to do whatever you want, but if it makes people dead, and you've built a clever Tom-and-Jerry-esque machine to avoid committing aggression while you or your product is making people dead, the solution is a civil suit, filed against you and won.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2018 at 9:27am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on May 31st, 2018 at 1:41am:
It should be allowed.

However, if a significant number of people play it and then actually shoot up schools, the families of the bereaved should absolutely be able to sue the makers of the game.

And they should win if there's a correlation.

Someone else's idea made me kill?

How about suing ABC for reporting real school shootings? Doesn't that promote the idea even better than a video game?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2018 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 31st, 2018 at 9:27am:

How about suing ABC for reporting real school shootings? Doesn't that promote the idea even better than a video game?

ABC does not glorify the murder of children. 

ACTIVE SHOOTER does.

But it's just a video game.  If someone kills because a video game influenced them to do it, it would be exactly as bad if they had killed because God influenced them do it.

The punishment would (and should) be exactly the same.

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - May 31st, 2018 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Neither the god or video games should be banned in the US. There is a lot of profit to be made off both.

And both encourage violence so they should both be encouraged and allowed to influence Americans. Only when the jails can't hold more prisoners and there's no tax money left to build more, will the US start thinking of reform and getting rid of a few handguns carried by NRA members.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2018 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on May 31st, 2018 at 12:08pm:
Neither the god or video games should be banned in the US.
You are beginning to get a few things right. Keep trying. Try to put the few things you understand together in some sort of logical construction.

I know it's hard, but it's worthwhile! Don't give up! Kiss

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2018 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 31st, 2018 at 11:03am:
But it's just a video game.  If someone kills because a video game influenced them to do it, it would be exactly as bad if they had killed because God influenced them do it.

The punishment would (and should) be exactly the same.

Correct. The shooters should not get reduced punishments.

But if I can prove your product caused damage to me, even if you never aggressed against me, I should be able to win a civil suit and collect damages.

If the game puts the idea in childrens' heads, and they provably act on it (for example, if those who have played the game commit school shootings at a massively increased rate over those who don't, and they are observably imitating the game) then people have suffered damage they otherwise would not have suffered if the game hadn't been made.

The perpetrators of the shootings are fully, criminally responsible.

The game company is civilly responsible because it caused that damage, even if it is not criminally responsible for that damage.

Jeff wrote on May 31st, 2018 at 9:27am:

If you step up and say I'm wrong in my assessment, I'll debate you. If you're going to ridicule whatever I say and then still ridicule when I say the opposite tomorrow, consider yourself irrelevant.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - May 31st, 2018 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on May 31st, 2018 at 10:28pm:
Correct. The shooters should not get reduced punishments.

But if I can prove your product caused damage to me, even if you never aggressed against me, I should be able to win a civil suit and collect damages.

If the game puts the idea in childrens' heads, and they provably act on it (for example, if those who have played the game commit school shootings at a massively increased rate over those who don't, and they are observably imitating the game) then people have suffered damage they otherwise would not have suffered if the game hadn't been made.

The perpetrators of the shootings are fully, criminally responsible.

The game company is civilly responsible because it caused that damage, even if it is not criminally responsible for that damage.

If you step up and say I'm wrong in my assessment, I'll debate you. If you're going to ridicule whatever I say and then still ridicule when I say the opposite tomorrow, consider yourself irrelevant.

Americans don't need video games to put evil ideas in their heads. They already have the idea in their heads that they should go get out their guns and kill somebody little child with it. It's their 2nd. amendment right to kill with their guns.

It's nothing to worry about, there's already a surplus of American children and they just grow up to be NRA members anyway.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Active Shooter - The Video Game - Should It Be Banned?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy