Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Active Shooter - The Video Game - Should It Be Banned?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Active Shooter - The Video Game - Should It Be Banned? (Read 2904 times)
SicklersDink
Ex Member

Re: Active Shooter - The Video Game - Should It Be Banned?
Reply #150 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 7:55am:
If my government(s) put no restrictions on what I can buy and sell or on who I can buy from or sell too, that's free trade.

And in the case of your health care system it can't work without socially responsible government propping it up with free care to the poor.

Quote:
No, I am not advocating for a market in slaves or stolen goods or selling whiskey to children.

Not selling whiskey to children is another good example of capitalism being curtailed to include social responsibility.

Isn't it inconsistent with libertarian principles t prohibit alcohol being sold to children?

Keep the debate going boss! You're providing examples and making it unnecessary for me to come up with more!

How about not selling guns and cocaine to children as more examples of capitalism being curtailed?

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #151 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So let's begin with US health care which aspires to be operating under a pure capitalist system.

Doctors and hospitals always took charity cases. Now that the law says they have to admit anybody who shows up at the ER, suddenly everything has become an "emergency", which clogs up ERs with non-emergency cases and costs consumers of medical a lot more money than it should, and the blame gets placed on greedy Doctors, not on the laws that create the problems.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #152 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 1:57pm:
Doctors and hospitals always took charity cases. Now that the law says they have to admit anybody who shows up at the ER, suddenly everything has become an "emergency", which clogs up ERs with non-emergency cases and costs consumers of medical a lot more money than it should, and the blame gets placed on greedy Doctors, not on the laws that create the problems.

Yeah that!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #153 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Not selling whiskey to children is another good example of capitalism being curtailed to include social responsibility.

Blah blah blah. People in civilized societies can advocate for individual liberty without thinking that having drunk child prostitutes around on the streets is acceptable and an inevitable part of liberty, and that's what they have always done, tried to protect the children of the community.

In an imperfect world, sometimes economies are made bad enough (usually by government intervention and lack of economic freedom) that families have the choice of watching their children starve, or letting their children go to work as soon as they can do anything to earn a few pennies. That's an argument for economic freedom, not government regulation.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #154 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:
How about not selling guns and cocaine to children as more examples of capitalism being curtailed?
Economic freedom has nothing to do with abusing and endangering children, who are most often abused and endangered in countries where economic freedom is curtailed or denied.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #155 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:04pm:
Economic freedom has nothing to do with abusing and endangering children, who are most often abused and endangered in countries where economic freedom is curtailed or denied.

Pure capitalism is the free market that is not curtailed in any way. Ugly and totally open capitalism can bee seen working it's evil in countries such as Thailand. Prostitution of children is one ugly example where there is no social responsibility paid to the country's children.

It's done that way in the interest of upholding the rights of capitalists to make money with no restraints.

Economic freedom in Thailand is pure and unrestrained economic freedom. You don't promote that for your country and neither do I for mine.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #156 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 1:57pm:

There is a Hospital a couple of miles from here that was forced to CLOSE because of this Law.

The Daniel Freeman Hospital in Inglewood [Founded in 1954] had to close its doors.  It was a good hospital providing quality Health Care for decades.  I sometimes did communication consultant work there.

I noticed that over time, the ER waiting room was being crowded with moms and screaming kids in tow. 

The last time I was there on business (before they closed), the ER was totally PACKED with screaming kids.

The line actually went out into the hallway where hospital staff had set up folding chairs along the walls.

I'm guessing the wait to see a doctor was probably 3 or 4 hours. 

It became obvious that the facility was in dire straits and would be forced to close. A couple of months later, they did.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #157 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:17pm:
There is a Hospital a couple of miles from here that was forced to CLOSE because of this Law.

The Daniel Freeman Hospital in Inglewood [Founded in 1954] had to close its doors.  It was a good hospital providing quality Health Care for decades.  I sometimes did communication consultant work there.

I noticed that over time, the ER waiting room was being crowded with moms and screaming kids in tow. 

The last time I was there on business (before they closed), the ER was totally PACKED with screaming kids.

The line actually went out into the hallway where hospital staff had set up folding chairs along the walls.

I'm guessing the wait to see a doctor was probably 3 or 4 hours. 

I could tell that the facility was in dire straits and would be forced to close. A couple of months later, they did.

Did the moms and kids go to other ER's or did they find a place to put the dead and dying bodies?

You're trying to promote 'pure' capitalism and we already know that it doesn't exist.  Cheesy

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #158 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Did the moms and kids go to other ER's or did they find a place to put the dead and dying bodies?

The point I was trying to make is that a bad Law forced a good Hospital to shut down.  That's why everyone eventually loses when government gets in the Health Care business.

Quote:
You're trying to promote 'pure' capitalism and we already know that it doesn't exist.  Cheesy

There's no such thing as 'pure' anything Dink.   So I guess we agree. 

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #159 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Pure capitalism is the free market that is not curtailed in any way.
Free markets are in fact self regulating. Bad businesses get forced out of business by competition that is better.

Contrast that with government controlled economies where bad business are supported by tax handouts and never go out of business as long as they keep paying off their cronies in government.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Active Shooter - The Video Game - Should It Be Banned?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy