Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Unemployment Rate
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Unemployment Rate (Read 1120 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Unemployment Rate
Reply #80 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 9:14am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 10:37pm:
I don't think we have a problem now. 50% of college graduates can't find work, the other 50% are working as waitresses, and we're outsourcing research jobs to India.
50% of college graduates have degrees in things that aren't of much use to anyone, and we outsource research to India because there are people there who made the effort to learn all those hard things needed to actually accomplish research.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #81 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:07am
Print Post  
I work with the elderly and know that we've never had to hire an illegal to wash them.  Is it really true that there are jobs that no Americans will do?  Ever watch Dirty Jobs?  Americans do plenty of dirty, disgusting jobs.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #82 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:07am:
I work with the elderly and know that we've never had to hire an illegal to wash them.  Is it really true that there are jobs that no Americans will do?  Ever watch Dirty Jobs?  Americans do plenty of dirty, disgusting jobs.
OK.

Yes, I've watched Dirty Jobs. I've also heard Mike Rowe talk about how not enough people are willing to do them any more.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #83 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes, I've watched Dirty Jobs. I've also heard Mike Rowe talk about how not enough people are willing to do them any more.

Mike Rowe is a great guy, but I don't think he's totally right.  As technology advances, the more manual labor jobs will go away.  Robots will eventually do the dirty work.  This is why we need to prepare students for work that will be available for them.   

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #84 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 12:21pm:
Mike Rowe is a great guy, but I don't think he's totally right.  As technology advances, the more manual labor jobs will go away.  Robots will eventually do the dirty work.  This is why we need to prepare students for work that will be available for them.   
Let them prepare themselves as they think best. Parents and teachers can help them on an individual basis.

If "we" decide to prepare students for a future "we" imagine, "we" are most likely to be wrong.

One of the best things about free markets is that people are allowed to make mistakes on an individual basis rather than having the government make wrong decisions that affect entire groups of people or the entire country.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #85 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Jeff, the future is most likely going to require higher skills, while robots will do the low skilled jobs.  Schools, whether public or private, have to prepare students for higher skilled jobs.  This is true all over the world.  Poor countries need to stop neglecting their student's education so that they grow up to be low skilled and then they come here looking for work.  We can't continue being a dumping ground for low skilled labor.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #86 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 12:05pm:
Jeff, the future is most likely going to require higher skills, while robots will do the low skilled jobs.  Schools, whether public or private, have to prepare students for higher skilled jobs.
Our schools (I think) mostly still do that, or at least they offer courses that can lead to high skilled jobs, you know, like reading and writing and arithmetic...

I hear you can still even prepare to go to a college where you can learn to be a Doctor or an Engineer if you want to, and there are plenty of specialized trade schools too, but they usually require you to have a high school diploma. At least they used to back when a high school diploma meant you could read and write and do basic math...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #87 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 12:05pm:
We can't continue being a dumping ground for low skilled labor.
Until somebody makes a robot that can do my yard work and clean my gutters etc. we need people willing to take such jobs, or I'll have to keep doing them myself until I die.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #88 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Jeff, one of the housekeepers where I work can barely read.  Thankfully, it will be a while before a robot does her job.  But the robots are coming, and schools need to be doing a better job, at least until information can be directly downloaded into our brains.  Can't wait!
Grin

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #89 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 5:29pm:
Jeff, one of the housekeepers where I work can barely read.  Thankfully, it will be a while before a robot does her job.
How can you be sure when it might or might not happen?

Are you some sort of witch who can see into the future?

In the meantime, a good housekeeper doesn't need to know how to read.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Unemployment Rate
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy