Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › SCOTUS Rules In Favor Of The Baker!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) SCOTUS Rules In Favor Of The Baker! (Read 499 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: SCOTUS Rules In Favor Of The Baker!
Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 5th, 2018 at 9:26am:
Actually the Court held that the State Commission had discriminated against the baker because of his religion. They said that government can't practice religious discrimination and invalidated the State's punishment of the baker because of that.

Not one of the Court's finest opinions. Everybody claims to have won. Issues of freedom of conscience and freedom of association will be addressed in some future case... In the meantime, businesses will be forced to provide services to anyone who demands them, and gay couples demanding that Christians say whatever the gay couple demands they say on a product like a personalized cake will continue to look like spoiled demanding children.

My solution? Try another bakery or buy a blank cake and get an artistically talented friend to add whatever message you want.

Exactly.  It's absurd for gay people to claim that they had no idea of who else could have baked them a fabulous cake for their wedding.   This is pure power gaming.  They specifically targeted a baker who disapproved of their lifestyle to teach him a lesson.  The fact that they were able to use the power of government to do that is yet another argument against statism.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 11:27am
Print Post  
The only thing you two can agree on is promoting hate!

The Chief thinks it's a victory against gays but it's really another instance of everybody losing.

At least when Americans are busy trying to harm each other they aren't harming decent people in other countries.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 5th, 2018 at 9:26am:
Not one of the Court's finest opinions. Everybody claims to have won. Issues of freedom of conscience and freedom of association will be addressed in some future case...

I think freedom of association won in this case.  The baker associates with a religion that says homosexuality is a sin

So he cannot be compelled by the State to go against his religious dogma. 

An atheist probably wouldn't be granted the liberty to discriminate against gays because atheists don't believe that homosexuality is a sin (transgression against god).

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 11:52am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 5th, 2018 at 11:38am:
I think freedom of association won in this case.  The baker associates with a religion that says homosexuality is a sin

An atheist probably wouldn't be granted the liberty to discriminate against gays because atheists don't believe that homosexuality is a sin (transgression against god).

Yes, the state has erred again by upholding religious dogma. The government in power demands it.

A more progressive government may have defeated religious dogma.

You've described the reason for the decision very well. Did you mean to say something else?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You've described the reason for the decision very well.

Thanks.   

Quote:
Did you mean to say something else?

No.  I would only add that i'ts unfortunate that the case even had to be reviewed by SCotUS. 

It's hard to imagine that this case couldn't have been resolved in the local Courts.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 5th, 2018 at 12:56pm:
Thanks.   

No.  I would only add that i'ts unfortunate that the case even had to be reviewed by SCotUS. 

It's hard to imagine that this case couldn't have been resolved in the local Courts.

Sorry Chief but with me all your credibility in anything you say hinges on you substantiating your claims of building 7 being a government inside job.

Libertarianism itself as expressed on this forum stands on your strength now. Please substantiate your claims of a government conspiracy.

In fairness to you, your belief that government was responsible is more than enough reason to hate your government. If they could do that then they could do anything else at the point of a gun. Including collecting income tax!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 5th, 2018 at 11:38am:

That's not what the Court said. They said he can't be punished under a particular statute just because the State doesn't like Christians. He can still be punished for refusing to serve gays, just so long as the State doesn't take his religion into account.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Sorry Chief but with me all your credibility in anything you say hinges on you substantiating your claims of building 7 being a government inside job.

How is the demolition of Bldg 7 relevant to this discussion? 

Where's the connection of what happened at the WTC on September 11th 2001 and Jack Phillips refusing to bake a gay wedding cake in 2012?

Quote:
Please substantiate your claims of a government conspiracy.

I never said anything about a "government conspiracy".  I made no such claim. 

Perhaps you are confusing me with Jeff?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 5th, 2018 at 4:35pm:
I never said anything about a "government conspiracy".  I made no such claim. 

Perhaps you are confusing me with Jeff?
I keep saying there isn't enough information available to us so that were might be exactly sure who is conspiring with who or why.

People all through the bureaucratic crony state are conspiring with all sorts of people, most of them not nice!

But we aren't allowed to know who they are or what they are doing or with who.

Edit: The standard response from socially responsible people is that monopolistic oligarchic corporations are controlling everything and even more government is required to stop them, or maybe a special prosecutor...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Some good discussion about the cake decorating controversy-

http://reason.com/volokh/2018/06/04/how-the-masterpiece-cakeshop-decision-st?utm...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › SCOTUS Rules In Favor Of The Baker!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy