Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Darwinian Evolution and Libertarianism v. Statism
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Darwinian Evolution and Libertarianism v. Statism (Read 890 times)
ahhell
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Darwinian Evolution and Libertarianism v. Statism
Reply #50 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Your definitions are in error.

Quote:
Pseudoscience consists of statements, beliefs, or practices that are claimed to be both scientific and factual, but are incompatible with the scientific method.
Aquatic ape hypothesis fits well into this category.

Quote:
A scientific theory is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested, in accordance with the scientific method, using a predefined protocol of observation and experiment.[1][2] Established scientific theories have withstood rigorous scrutiny and embody scientific knowledge.

Not all theories of human development are speculative.  It is not speculative to say that humans and chimps have a relatively recent common ancestor.  There is plenty of evidence to support that.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #51 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 9:45am:
Thanks for setting me straight on IQ trends.

Just read the study about about IQs going down.  Its new and claims the trend started in the mid 70s.  I'll probably return to this subject next week.  I listen to a few science news podcasts that often analyze media coverage of science stories.  I'll see what they have to say about this study if anything.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #52 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 4:00pm:
Just read the study about about IQs going down.
Which study is that?

What good are IQ tests if entities like the lizard are pronounced geniuses after they score well?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #53 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 3:00pm:
Your definitions are in error.

Aquatic ape hypothesis fits well into this category.

That's not the same as early humans going through an aquatic phase, unless you believe humans are "descended from apes".

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #54 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 3:00pm:
Not all theories of human development are speculative.  It is not speculative to say that humans and chimps have a relatively recent common ancestor. 
Yes, it is, because there is zero evidence of that speculative ancestor existing.

Chimps and humans share almost all of our DNA, which makes it convincing to speculate that we have a common ancestor, but not possible to say it's certain, unless you know what that common ancestor is... Do you?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #55 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 12:26pm:
I'd like to take another whack at this dead horse.

The "will to survive" is quite different than the right of self-defense.  Even with animals.

A gazelle will usually flee from the cheetah that's chasing it.   But on rare occasions, the gazelle will NOT flee.  It will stand its ground and exercise its right of self-defense. 

Cheetahs have been gored and killed by a pissed-off gazelle that didn't want to be some cheetah's lunch.

The only thing I see you doing is creating a false equivalence between it actually happened and the being in question had a right to do it.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #56 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:25pm:
The only thing I see you doing is creating a false equivalence between it actually happened and the being in question had a right to do it.

Are you suggesting that the gazelle had no right to gore and kill the cheetah which was attacking it?

This cheetah probably failed to acknowledge the gazelles natural right to self-defense.   The cheetah paid for that ignorance with her life.

Hopefully, her cubs learned a valuable lesson about the natural "right" of self-defense.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #57 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 12:02am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:28pm:
Are you suggesting that the gazelle had no right to gore and kill the cheetah which was attacking it?

This is an example where neither of the two participants have rights. So whatever one wants to do to the other is permissible.

This is, in fact, the status quo I would prefer for human society, because everyone is equal and everyone can fight back if attacked.

SkyChief wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:28pm:
This cheetah probably failed to acknowledge the gazelles natural right to self-defense.   The cheetah paid for that ignorance with her life.

She miscalculated, but not about rights. Neither the cheetah nor the gazelle has rights.

If the cheetah and not the gazelle had rights, it would be wrong for the gazelle to fight back.

If the gazelle and not the cheetah had rights, it would be wrong for the cheetah to attack, and permissible for the gazelle to gore her to death whether she'd attacked first or not.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #58 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 12:36am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 12:02am:
This is, in fact, the status quo I would prefer for human society, because everyone is equal and everyone can fight back if attacked.

This has always been the status quo.  If attacked, there are only 3 possible responses;

• fight back
• flee
• submission

This rule holds true for animals, as well.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #59 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 7:26am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 12:02am:
This is an example where neither of the two participants have rights. So whatever one wants to do to the other is permissible.

Every human is not equal in their ability to fight (or defend against attack), which reminds me, have you bought a pistol and shooting lessons for your Mom yet?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Darwinian Evolution and Libertarianism v. Statism
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy