Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Devil You Don't Know: Why People are Statists
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Devil You Don't Know: Why People are Statists (Read 447 times)
RubyHypatia
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Devil You Don't Know: Why People are Statists
Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
You know more about this than I do, Jeff.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:59pm:
You know more about this than I do, Jeff.
Only because I keep trying to learn more about it.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:11am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:40pm:
This requires the null state (freedom) to show us employers refusing to take available bites out of the workers for no reason.

Even if this is somehow true in economics when it would never be in Nature (not discounting that) peoples' brains aren't wired to see it this way.

People are wired not to like things that predate them (a good example would be a rat, eating their grain stores) and to be sympathetic to, and want to help, the things that eat their predators (cat domestication).

If you really think freedom is better for all, there should be some way to demonstrate that to the average worker.

I have always favoured controlled tests to see which systems are better. I think it would be well worth it to take a high-crime area, split it into five or six equal pie slices, and try different policies.

Right.  Start with an area that is dysfunctional already so you don't take a chance on making it worse.   My favorite two places to try would be North Korea and our own border with Mexico. 

On the border, simply declare a strip one quarter mile north of the border to be economically free (exclude existing cities that choose not to participate).  Anyone can enter, but there will be zero government assistance.  No corporate taxes, police and courts paid for by companies and individuals that want government crime prevention in their areas.  Any other services to be provided by for-profit companies.  No OSHA, but a tort system to discourage companies from falsely telling workers that their jobs are not hazardous when they are.   This area would thrive so well economically that

For North Korea, we'd have to talk China into allowing the same idea there and then we'd have to ask Li'l Kim whether he'd like to be head of state in a wealthy libertarian nation or a head of state living in Ft Leavenworth awaiting trial for Crimes Against Humanity.  If it's Trump making the offer, it would be a credible choice.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:11am:
Right.  Start with an area that is dysfunctional already so you don't take a chance on making it worse.   My favorite two places to try would be North Korea and our own border with Mexico. 

On the border, simply declare a strip one quarter mile north of the border to be economically free (exclude existing cities that choose not to participate).  Anyone can enter, but there will be zero government assistance.  No corporate taxes, police and courts paid for by companies and individuals that want government crime prevention in their areas.  Any other services to be provided by for-profit companies.  No OSHA, but a tort system to discourage companies from falsely telling workers that their jobs are not hazardous when they are.   This area would thrive so well economically that

For North Korea, we'd have to talk China into allowing the same idea there and then we'd have to ask Li'l Kim whether he'd like to be head of state in a wealthy libertarian nation or a head of state living in Ft Leavenworth awaiting trial for Crimes Against Humanity.  If it's Trump making the offer, it would be a credible choice.
Good idea!

China could force N. Korea into accepting the same economic system as China allows in Hong Kong... Or they could use the system that is used in South Korea...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Devil You Don't Know: Why People are Statists
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy