Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Visable Hand
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Visable Hand (Read 964 times)
Tom Palven
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

The Visable Hand
Jun 15th, 2018 at 2:49am
Print Post  
The Visible Hand of sledgehammer bureaucracy that screws up spontaneous order:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-tariffs-are-already-backfiring/20...
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2018 at 4:22am by Tom Palven »  

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Visable Hand
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 2:49am:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-tariffs-are-already-backfiring/20...

Yes. You'd think someone would have mentioned it to Trump when he proposed his tariffs...

Where did the President get a unilateral power to impose taxes anyway? That's a power granted only to Congress, and they can't have legally ceded the power to the Executive without having the Constitution altered...

BTW, why did you attribute the tariffs to bureaucrats?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 8:38am:
Yes. You'd think someone would have mentioned it to Trump when he proposed his tariffs...

Where did the President get a unilateral power to impose taxes anyway? That's a power granted only to Congress, and they can't have legally ceded the power to the Executive without having the Constitution altered...

BTW, why did you attribute the tariffs to bureaucrats?

Gee,  I seem to remember in the not-too-distant past where a certain president (who's name I refuse to speak or write) created a monstrous new tax. He cleverly named it the "Affordable Care Act" to confuse the ignorant and sneak it under the Supreme Court's radar.

But it was a TAX, plain and simple. The 2000+ pages of ACA mumbo-jumbo is to rationalize the Tax.

So Trump's taxes are not unprecedented.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 12:19pm:
Gee,  I seem to remember in the not-too-distant past where a certain president (who's name I refuse to speak or write) created a monstrous new tax. He cleverly named it the "Affordable Care Act" to confuse the ignorant and sneak it under the Supreme Court's radar.

But it was a TAX, plain and simple. The 2000+ pages of ACA mumbo-jumbo is to rationalize the Tax.

So Trump's taxes are not unprecedented.
I hate that kind of talk Chief, it confuses the ignorant, who will accept without question that a new precedent has been set.

Sort of as if you getting away with a felony would justify me in committing the same felony, as if I'm granted legal immunity because you weren't prosecuted as you should have been.

It's a particularly nonsensical bit of "progressive" nonsense, derived I think from the mythical "Divine Right". Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 4:02pm:
I hate that kind of talk Chief, it confuses the ignorant, who will accept without question that a new precedent has been set.

Well, you asked the question

Quote:
Where did the President get a unilateral power to impose taxes anyway?

So I answered.   Prez #0044 decided it would be a great idea to impose more taxes on the American people.

To this day, many Americans actually like the added [ACA] taxes.   These people are the confused ignoramuses I referred to.

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
tead need to be a tow way street shouth kr has high import taxes so that cheep goods are more expenicve then high end produts in south kr if sould kr wants to have high  inport taxes on us then we should have high import taxes on them the gold would be to have them sit down with us and talk trade  the pont i am trying to make is that trade imblaces coused by other nations need to be dealt with with the same amount of force

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 6:31pm:
Well, you asked the question

So I answered.
Breaking the law becomes established precedent as soon as someone breaks the law? 

That's a horrible answer.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 8:29am
Print Post  
And the not always so visible hand-

https://www.wired.com/story/delays-rising-costs-plague-nasas-james-webb-space-te...

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 4:02pm:

Sort of as if you getting away with a felony would justify me in committing the same felony, as if I'm granted legal immunity because you weren't prosecuted as you should have been.

It's a particularly nonsensical bit of "progressive" nonsense, derived I think from the mythical "Divine Right". Grin Grin Grin

I'm not so sure the Chief was being progressive boss, but it certainly was nonsense, and you put him down well for doing it!

Well done! I hope he learned something?

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  

I think it might be too late for your country to turn back now. Canada decided to hold off for 30 days but that did no good in convincing Trump he was making a big mistake. We'll all have to weather this out now.

As we talk, other countries are creating new markets with friendly and cooperative trading partners. After Trump is gone, it's a good question on whether or not they will go back to US markets.

Quote:
That is, in fact, what happened, much to Whirlpool’s dismay. Over the next dozen years, Whirlpool’s market share shrank faster than a cotton T-shirt. It’s now down to a little more than a third.

The rest of the world had a look at LG and Samsung and found a superior product. Consumers Report spells it out.

Trump's effort should have been more directed at improving US products so they could compete. He chose a different approach.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Visable Hand
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy