Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › 1st Lady Melania Speaks Out Against Zero Tolerance Immigration Policy
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1st Lady Melania Speaks Out Against Zero Tolerance Immigration Policy (Read 1925 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: 1st Lady Melania Speaks Out Against Zero Tolerance Immigration Policy
Reply #20 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Pastor Jimmy wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 9:45pm:
So have First Ladies Rosalyn Carter, Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton, and Michelle Obama.

Jimmy, the thing that makes the story newsworthy is that Melania is the wife of the man who made the Zero-Tolerance policy in the first place.

Surely, you can see the irony in that? (!)

It's highly unusual (maybe unprecedented?)  that a First Lady would speak out against a policy that her husband instituted!

Its like if Michelle were to protest ObamaCare!   LOL

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 11:23am:
Guest Visa holders would qualify for government assistance, however, once they go on welfare, their Guest Visa cannot ever be renewed.  When the expiration date comes, they must leave the US.

That's discriminatory and it's aggression. You can't force someone off land that's not yours because a thief is giving them your money.

SkyChief wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:33pm:
Keep in mind, they are guests - not citizens.  These people cannot vote or collect social security benefits.

That's also aggression. If there is to be a government, the right to vote comes from living under the authority of that government - everyone who does should get an equal share of the decision-making ability.

Although immoral, your solution is elegant and practical. If you were running for dictator, and it wasn't immoral for me to vote for you, I would.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:26pm:
That's discriminatory and it's aggression. You can't force someone off land that's not yours because a thief is giving them your money.

I wouldn't force anyone off any land.  That task would fall on ICE to enforce immigration policy.

The Opposition wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:26pm:
That's also aggression. If there is to be a government, the right to vote comes from living under the authority of that government - everyone who does should get an equal share of the decision-making ability.

Only US Citizens have the "right" to vote in this country.  Guests are not citizens - they're guests. They have no "right" to vote.

Think of the Guest Visa as being similar to a Visitor Visa, but the Guest Visa good for 12 months instead of a couple weeks (Visitor Visa).

Visitor visas are non-immigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business (visa category B-1), for tourism (visa category B-2), or for a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2).

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

My Guest Visa plan is a superb idea and I'll bet many immigrants would jump at the opportunity to purchase a Guest Visa.

If voting is important to them, they can apply for US citizenship and wait two to three years for the application to be approved.   Cry

OR  They can pay $500 and have their Guest Visa in 15 minutes!   Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:51am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 11:07pm:
I wouldn't force anyone off any land.  That task would fall on ICE to enforce immigration policy.

Semantics. You're advocating force.

Only US Citizens have the "right" to vote in this country.  Guests are not citizens - they're guests. They have no "right" to vote.

That's not right.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 1:08am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:51am:

That's not right.

You're right. That's not right.

I should have stated that only US Citizens have the right to vote in General Elections.

Non-citizens can (and do) vote in local and State elections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 7:59am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:01pm:
Jimmy, the thing that makes the story newsworthy is that Melania is the wife of the man who made the Zero-Tolerance policy in the first place.

Surely, you can see the irony in that? (!)

It's highly unusual (maybe unprecedented?)  that a First Lady would speak out against a policy that her husband instituted!

Its like if Michelle were to protest ObamaCare!   LOL
Mrs. Obama should also have been speaking out about this, as well as speaking against the ACA-

https://lawandcrime.com/immigration/obamas-immigration-agencies-separated-childr...

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I also don't buy the crocodile tears of the leftie media sob-sisters.  They are thrilled to have an issue with which to bash Trump.

Yep, they're obviously happy that the family separations are happening.  And I guarantee that they hope Trump fails with Kim.  They'd prefer Trump to fail than to have peace on the Korean penninsula.

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:30am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 8:56pm:
A much better solution for these families fleeing oppressive governments would be to grant them Guest Visas.

The whole process would take less than 15 minutes.   The applicant fills out a Guest Visa (at any US point of entry), a cursory [DHS] background check is done to make sure the immigrant has no criminal or terrorist record, they pay a $500 "processing" fee, and within a few minutes they are issued their Guest Visa which is valid for 12 months.   Smiley  A Guest Visa may be renewed infinite times.

No more splitting up families. No more internment camps.   No more pining from the hand-wringing democrats. No more rejections to people seeking a better life.

It's such a simple solution.  And a humanitarian/libertarian one.

While I must admit this sounds like a beautiful solution, I dare predict that there would emerge two classes of residents, those with citizenship and the vote, and those without.  It wouldn't be too difficult, from that point, to predict who would do the work and pay the taxes, and who would receive state benefits, given how politics really works.

IMO, an open border, citizenship-on-demand system (like Brazil had for decades) might work, but the deep state would never allow it, as it would make us another Brazil and make it impossible to maintain their national bubble.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:30am:
While I must admit this sounds like a beautiful solution...

Smiley

BobK71 wrote on Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:30am:
IMO, an open border, citizenship-on-demand system (like Brazil had for decades) might work, but the deep state would never allow it, as it would make us another Brazil and make it impossible to maintain their national bubble.

Yes, open borders and citizenship-on-demand would be ideal.

My Guest Visa plan is only intended as a stopgap measure to end the suffering of the immigrants and asylum seekers who's families are being split up.

There are now over two thousand immigrant children in detention camps, and the children have no idea where their parents are, or if they will ever see them again. 

That's just plain wrong.  Trump's "Zero-Tolerance" immigration policy causes undue hardship on these families seeking a better life.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
BREAKING NEWS

An hour ago, Trump signed an executive order that will end the policy of separating immigrant families.

In Trump's own [odd and awkward] words:

"We're signing an Executive Order - I consider to be a very important Executive Order - it's about keeping families together, while at the same time insure that we have a very POWERFUL - a very STRONG border.  And border security will be equal if not greater than previously.  So, we're going to have strong - VERY STRONG borders, but we're going to to keep those families together.   I didn't like the sight or the feeling of families being separated - none of us like to see families separated."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › 1st Lady Melania Speaks Out Against Zero Tolerance Immigration Policy
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy