Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Rights? Bricks or Bubbles
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Libertarian Rights? Bricks or Bubbles (Read 4619 times)
RubyHypatia
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarian Rights? Bricks or Bubbles
Reply #50 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Quote:
The thing is Ruby, if enough children't faces are bitten off, you will eventually have enough common citizens to demand universal health care.

Well, I haven't heard of any children's faces being bitten off recently.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #51 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Quote:
I propose that dogs be limited to people who use them for those purposes, then, and banned to those who only want one for companionship.

Yeah, well, good luck with that proposal.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 9:12am:
Well, I haven't heard of any children's faces being bitten off recently.

Sure you have Ruby. They're the dog attacks you mentioned.

Nearly all pitbulls but a few Rottweilers too. But don't get me wrong, I'm all for pitbulls in your country! All American families with children should have a few.

That's what libertarianism is all about Ruby. Upholding rights that bite off your noses to spite your faces.

(Oppo's tigers are much more predictable!)

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #53 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Nearly all pitbulls but a few Rottweilers too. But don't get me wrong, I'm all for pitbulls in your country! All American families with children should have a few.

Some do Dork. If you treat them well and make them a part of your family, they will protect everyone in the family.

It's the one's that get abused and taught to be vicious that are the problem, and that goes back to the responsibility of the owners.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #54 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 7:23am:
Shame on you. You would deny a basic right... Isn't that your (absurdly wrong) complaint about libertarians, that they want to deny rights to others?

No. My claim is that the rights you discover are so expansive that it's impossible for everyone to have them, so you have to think up ways having what I want (a tiger) is not a basic right, but when I apply those same reasons to what you want (a dog) you'll cry foul, which is what you just did.

You see, I don't get to have a tiger because it's a risk and it's not good for anything, because rights.

But you get to have a dog even if it's a risk and it's not good for anything, because rights.

When I want something dangerous, it matters what it's good for, and you get to take it away if you decide it's too dangerous and my need for it doesn't outweigh the risk. I don't get to go through your house and do this, though, picking out all the dangerous, useless stuff, because not everyone can have one of those expansive, ridiculous rights bubbles.

Plainly and simply, you have too many rights for other people to ever have freedom. Because your rights protect you from being risked, I can't do anything. But when you want to risk me, it's a basic right.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #55 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 3:45pm:
No. My claim is that the rights you discover are so expansive that it's impossible for everyone to have them...
That's a novel argument, why don't you expound on it.

Why would it be impossible for everyone to have freedom of conscience, to believe what they believe?

Why would it be impossible for everyone to have a Right to speak their mind freely?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #56 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Some do Dork. If you treat them well and make them a part of your family, they will protect everyone in the family.

It's the one's that get abused and taught to be vicious that are the problem, and that goes back to the responsibility of the owners.

Yep, it's the owners that make them vicious.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #57 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 6:21pm:
Yep, it's the owners that make them vicious.
Yes, almost always. Sometimes you get a dog that has a bad temperament and hates everything. Such dogs are still the owners responsibility, so on occasion, they are killed as a preventative measure.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #58 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 4:51pm:
That's a novel argument, why don't you expound on it.

I did. You didn't read it. In fact, you clipped the sentence where I elaborated to the point that you're quoting me ending on a comma. The next bit of that sentence is the elaboration.

If people have a right to be free from risks posed to them by others, nobody else can do anything. But of course, you libertarians can risk others, because the things you want that risk others are "basic rights". It's pretty damn simple, you just don't read.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 3:20pm:
I did. You didn't read it. In fact, you clipped the sentence where I elaborated to the point that you're quoting me ending on a comma. The next bit of that sentence is the elaboration.

If people have a right to be free from risks posed to them by others, nobody else can do anything. But of course, you libertarians can risk others, because the things you want that risk others are "basic rights". It's pretty damn simple, you just don't read.

My boss isn't even claiming to be a libertarian Oppo. He's a contrarian at best and a disgruntled loser because of his life experiences with authority figures.

Sometimes I'm embarrassed having to hang around with (on) him.

Be agreeable with the boss Oppo. He switches on and off from his contrary state to his sensible state which he was raised with. There's good to be had in the boss! Even if it's oly between his goalposts!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Rights? Bricks or Bubbles
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy