Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The WTO
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The WTO (Read 100 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

The WTO
Jun 28th, 2018 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
From the introduction of Cato Policy Analysis Number 841 Was Buenos Aires the Beginning of the End or the End of the Beginning?

"Expectations going into the conference were low- and by and large- those low expectations were fulfilled. The conference failed to produce solutions that the world very much needs to long festering problems. There was no multilateral outcome at all. Members could not even agree on the customary conference-concluding declaration. Many considered it a major achievement that the U.S. Trade Representative, Robert Lighthizer, deigned to attend the conference- although he left early after lecturing the other delegates largely on all that he and President Donald Trump think is wrong with the WTO. The one hoped for multilateral outcome- a long sought agreement limiting fisheries subsidies that support overfishing and illegal fishing- failed once again. And the proposed plurilateral agreement freeing trade in environmental goods that had come so close the year before was barely mentioned in Buenos Aires."

My question is, how much does it cost U.S. taxpayers to support this?

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Re: The WTO
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 6:40pm:
From the introduction of Cato Policy Analysis Number 841 Was Buenos Aires the Beginning of the End or the End of the Beginning?

"Expectations going into the conference were low- and by and large- those low expectations were fulfilled. The conference failed to produce solutions that the world very much needs to long festering problems. There was no multilateral outcome at all. Members could not even agree on the customary conference-concluding declaration. Many considered it a major achievement that the U.S. Trade Representative, Robert Lighthizer, deigned to attend the conference- although he left early after lecturing the other delegates largely on all that he and President Donald Trump think is wrong with the WTO. The one hoped for multilateral outcome- a long sought agreement limiting fisheries subsidies that support overfishing and illegal fishing- failed once again. And the proposed plurilateral agreement freeing trade in environmental goods that had come so close the year before was barely mentioned in Buenos Aires."

My question is, how much does it cost U.S. taxpayers to support this?

As with the UN and Nato, the rest of the world would be much better off if the US pulled out boss. The US threatens to pull out but it won't in all three cases. The reasons are obvious.

The outcome is more interesting boss. The US is being excluded more and more and is becoming less significant in world affairs.

In 39 Germany resorted to a military solution. In the 21st. century the US can't solve it's problem that way. It would become a glass partking lot, along with it's foes.

You need to pull in your horns and think in real terms boss. Nobody cares all that much anymore for bowing to US demands. You know that boss and you know that's why Trump's strongarm methods are doomed to failure.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As with the UN and Nato, the rest of the world would be much better off if the US pulled out boss. The US threatens to pull out but it won't in all three cases. The reasons are obvious.

The outcome is more interesting boss. The US is being excluded more and more and is becoming less significant in world affairs.

In 39 Germany resorted to a military solution. In the 21st. century the US can't solve it's problem that way. It would become a glass partking lot, along with it's foes.

You need to pull in your horns and think in real terms boss. Nobody cares all that much anymore for bowing to US demands. You know that boss and you know that's why Trump's strongarm methods are doomed to failure.
You don't think this was a good idea?

"a long sought agreement limiting fisheries subsidies that support overfishing and illegal fishing"

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 7:06pm:
You don't think this was a good idea?

"a long sought agreement limiting fisheries subsidies that support overfishing and illegal fishing"

I don't take anything you say seriously anymore boss. Not until you start behaving well enough for me to consider changing my name.

Me and you for the foreseeable future bossman. How about that steel armoured jock strap? Show a little consideration for your little friend!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Quote:

Agreed.   The US should stop playing policeman of the world.  Its too costly in American money and American lives.

But any pullout from these 3 organizations (UN, WTO, NATO) requires Congress approval.  Like you said, Dink, the Deep State would never allow it - the US would need to disengage from all the wars - banks and the MIC would suffer badly.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 11:49am:
Agreed.   The US should stop playing policeman of the world.  Its too costly in American money and American lives.

But any pullout from these 3 organizations (UN, WTO, NATO) requires Congress approval.  Like you said, Dink, the Deep State would never allow it - the US would need to disengage from all the wars - banks and the MIC would suffer badly.

I can't take anything you say seriously anymore. You're so twofaced, you change with the weather. Your complete support of Trump did it for me. It's your complete compromise in everything you claim to be for and it's only because I've hurt your feelings by showing that you're no libertarian.

Today's example is your claim that being registered to vote doesn't hurt anybody's right to vote.

You can pretend with your teenage friends but you can't get away with it on me.

You'll do something similar tomorrow because of your poutish attitude.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As with the UN and Nato, the rest of the world would be much better off if the US pulled out boss.
Lots of countries have asked to become part of NATO in recent times. Most of them willing to do their share.

In the meantime, the only ally Russia can find that's worth talking about is China, and I think part of China's 30 year plan involves making barbarian Russia a vassal state. Grin

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I can't take anything you say seriously anymore. You're so twofaced, you change with the weather.

???  I agreed with you.  That makes me two-faced??   Are you high?

Quote:
I've hurt your feelings by showing that you're no libertarian.

You did no such thing.   You're a prisoner in your own delusional pseudo-reality, Dink. 

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 4:22pm:
Lots of countries have asked to become part of NATO in recent times. Most of them willing to do their share.

In the meantime, the only ally Russia can find that's worth talking about is China, and I think part of China's 30 year plan involves making barbarian Russia a vassal state. Grin

Don't be silly boss. Half the world is pulling away from the US and is aligning with the Brics. It's an economic bloc that is already challenging US superiority.

My biggest fear is that the US will overstep it's bounds to the point at which Russia/China or another country will react with nuclear force.

It's only fortunate that the US is cowardly when it comes to challenging nuclear capable nations. One reason nobdy should be taking Trump too seriously on his threats to N.K.

Can we go live in another country soon boss? Somewhere it's safe?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Half the world is pulling away from the US and is aligning with the Brics. It's an economic bloc that is already challenging US superiority.
You think their economic central planning will work?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The WTO
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy