Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why the Constitution Failed: Part I - The Presidents
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Why the Constitution Failed: Part I - The Presidents (Read 48 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Why the Constitution Failed: Part I - The Presidents
Jun 29th, 2018 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Placing one man at the head of the executive branch and allowing voters to select him virtually guarantees that the president will be a famous person who is strong-willed, somewhat eccentric and if not a megalomaniac, nearly so.  Who else could win an election? 

This did not start with Donald Trump or with FDR, it started with George Washington.  He was an incredibly strong leader, able to use nothing more than the force of his personality to lead farmers to form an army to fight one of the most formidable powers in the world at that time.  Exactly the opposite of what is need in a leader of a government whose only responsibility is to maintain freedom.

Washington should have been the leader of a small cadre for a reserve Army that consisted of nearly every adult in the U.S.  He could have also used the force of his personality to advocate for freeing women and blacks.  Obvously, freeing his own slaves would have been the first step.

After Washington, the two-party system also guaranteed that presidential elections would be "sportified," as an NPR commentator had it.   Instead of voting for the candidate who was best qualified to administer a small government, people voted for their  team, regardless of anything else.  It was the constitution's winner take all provision in Article II that required a single party completely control the executive through a single executive.

Granted, all other existing systems are worse and we should not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.  But, as libertarians, we should also not allow a superstitious idolization of the U.S. Constitution to make the good to be the enemy of the much better.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why the Constitution Failed: Part I - The Presidents
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 10:52am
Print Post  
A.  The president isn't elected by the people even now.  If the president was selected in accordance withe the original intent, state legislators would chuse the electors who would then vote for the president.  The States have failed in that regard by chusing to have electors elected by the people.  This has the added effect of confusing people into thinking they are actually voting for the president then getting very upset when they realize that's not what happened.

B.  The real failure was the frames thinking they could will factions away but not addressing them.   The Constitution is agnostic regarding parties and the two party system is more a by product of that neglect.

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Yes, we must have a Constitutional Amendment that provides for CoPresidents and CoVice Presidents of the United States, if not cocouncils, for the Branch of Applying (new name I want the Executive Branch to be termed).

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 10:47am:
Granted, all other existing systems are worse and we should not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.  But, as libertarians, we should also not allow a superstitious idolization of the U.S. Constitution to make the good to be the enemy of the much better.

A perfectly logical post, right up until the last paragraph where you have to start playing to me again.

You went to all the trouble to explain the problems with the US system and then ended up condemning the parliamentary system which ensures the issue with the president is avoided.

Otherwise, I won't maintain the kneejerk position that the parliamentary system is better or worse. That would require a nuanced and detailed discussion.

But at least happily, you've disqualified yourself from even being able to respond to the question. Let's keep it that way. You're one irritation I don't have to contend with on this forum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why the Constitution Failed: Part I - The Presidents
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy