Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Voter ID laws
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Voter ID laws (Read 631 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Voter ID laws
Reply #110 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:29am
Print Post  
goodbye wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 3:25am:
I think the question is not if taxes are too much or too high, but if you get your money's worth for your tax dollar.
The answer is no, and you never will.

There are of course huge savings to be had by limiting government to it's legitimate enumerated powers, i.e. eliminating government departments and agencies not authorized by the Constitution, but, as long as the commerce clause and the general welfare clause are held to be grants of general power, and those supposed powers involve creating huge bureaucracies and handing out favors and money which help get people elected, those savings aren't likely to be realized.

The important questions are if a tax laid on wages and salaries is Direct or Indirect (If Direct, it must be apportioned) and if the Rule of Uniformity for all Indirect taxes is satisfied by "geographical uniformity" (which allows different types of incomes to be taxed differently, different business to be taxed differently, as long as all the businesses engaged in the same thing are taxed uniformly, which allows the picking of winning industries and losing industries.)

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #111 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:59am
Print Post  

Even if you are a renter, rental rates are higher to cover the property taxes for the owner, so the property tax is just passed on to you. All business and corporate taxes are just passed on to the consumer hidden in the cost of services or goods you buy.

True. When our Property Tax goes up, we raise the rent on the rental. That's the only time we raise the rent.

Inflation is a hidden tax that really insidious.

Good point. 

How much of your tax dollar goes to pay interest on the national debt, which is money the government has borrowed in addition to the money it has taxed from you?
Not sure what the actual figure is, ... but our National Debt exceeds the GDP!

Our country is insolvent.

If the average family of 4 realized every tax, fee or license they pay, Income, property, school tax, gasoline tax, sales taxes added up to 50% of the family income they might think they worked for the government for 6 months of the year for free.

Most taxpayers pay ~30% of their gross earnings on Federal income tax, so from January 1st to late March, they are essentially working for the government.

I think the question is not if taxes are too much or too high, but if you get your money's worth for your tax dollar. Do we have excellent public schools, excellent roads, bridges, sewage and water facilties,(infrastructure) and social programs? What value do you get for your tax dollar is the important question.

I think the question is not if taxes are too much or too high, but if the government should even be imposing the damn tax in the first place!   Smiley

Property taxes are sometimes necessary in metro areas, less so in rural areas.  Income taxes should be abolished entirely. 

IP Logged

SicklersDink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #112 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:59am:
True. When our Property Tax goes up, we raise the rent on the rental. That's the only time we raise the rent.

Good point. 

Not sure what the actual figure is, ... but our National Debt exceeds the GDP!

Our country is insolvent.

Most taxpayers pay ~30% of their gross earnings on Federal income tax, so from January 1st to late March, they are essentially working for the government.

I think the question is not if taxes are too much or too high, but if the government should even be imposing the damn tax in the first place!   Smiley

Property taxes are sometimes necessary in metro areas, less so in rural areas.  Income taxes should be abolished entirely. 

Any sane person who wants to pay less income tax is intent on himself paying less. In your case it's likely that you would prefer property taxes being raised instead of you paying income tax. That's assuming you are sane?

The pseudo-libertarian always falls for the kneejerk political trap being offered by the Libertarian party.

All he ever hears is the jingle of money.

At least the new guy is trying to reason it out so that he can agree that taxes shouldn't be as high. He'll come to that conclusion with a little higher degree of comfort.

Here's where US health care fits into the conversation.Americans  pay about twice as much as Canadians and they get an inferior product.

Or the prison system that is rated as the absolute worst in the world's first world countries.

Of course the answer is accepting 'social responsibility' but that's still on the back burner.

Today's and tomorrow's issue is crying about taxes.

I was Don G. but Craig owns me now.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #113 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:59am:
Income taxes should be abolished entirely. 
Including corporate income taxes and taxes on the profits from bonds and taxes on incomes from rental properties etc.? These types of incomes are taxed by most states too, do you want to do away with state corporate income taxes too?

IP Logged

SicklersDink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #114 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:43pm:
Including corporate income taxes and taxes on the profits from bonds and taxes on incomes from rental properties etc.? These types of incomes are taxed by most states too, do you want to do away with state corporate income taxes too?

He wants to do away with all income taxation and replace it with taxes that won't apply to him.

He's not antiwar because I was able to push him into saying so, but he thinks the military can be reduced to bring down the need for income tax.

It actually could but everybody knows it won't.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #115 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
SicklersDink wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:51pm:
He wants to do away with all income taxation and replace it with taxes that won't apply to him.

He's not antiwar because I was able to push him into saying so, but he thinks the military can be reduced to bring down the need for income tax.

It actually could but everybody knows it won't.
But the 26th Amendment says that Citizens over the age of can't be denied the vote (unless they are convicted felons?)... Aren't ID's necessary to prove age and citizenship?

IP Logged

SicklersDink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #116 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:04pm:
But the 26th Amendment says that Citizens over the age of can't be denied the vote (unless they are convicted felons?)... Aren't ID's necessary to prove age and citizenship?

If you're talking about Trump, then he is finding ways to disenfranchize voters. Requiring ID's without ensuring that all voters first have easy ability to obtain them is one step. Tampering with electronic voting machines is a modern day Nazi tactic.

And if you're not talking about the Chief's idea of eliminating income tax, then you're starting to 'go off' early boss.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #117 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
SicklersDink wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:10pm:
Requiring ID's without ensuring that all voters first have easy ability to obtain them is one step.
From what I'm reading in the Constitution, only Citizens at least 18 years of age can be voters. ID to prove that is easy to get.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #118 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
SicklersDink wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:10pm:
And if you're not talking about the Chief's idea of eliminating income tax, then you're starting to 'go off' early boss.
There have been threads about taxation on the forum, this one is about voter ID laws.

IP Logged

SicklersDink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #119 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:18pm:
From what I'm reading in the Constitution, only Citizens at least 18 years of age can be voters. ID to prove that is easy to get.

It should be easy to get. It's criminal that it isn't all the time. We could get into a discussion on that sometime. You start it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Voter ID laws
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy