Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › $1 Trillion for Secret Police
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic $1 Trillion for Secret Police (Read 42 times)
Tom Palven
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

$1 Trillion for Secret Police
Jul 4th, 2018 at 8:17am
Print Post  
According to the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU (Named for former Supreme Court justice William Brennan, not lying CIA torture-advocate John Brennan), "The US spends nearly $1 trillion annually on national security programs and agencies."

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2015/02/us-intelligence-community-bigger-ever-i...

That might sound like a wild exaggeration, but the article explains how they do the math, and with black budgets, who knows what the actual figures are?

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Re: $1 Trillion for Secret Police
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 9:13am
Print Post  
My title is misleading.  The trillion dollar figure is for the entire military budget and the secret police.

IP Logged

SicklersDink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 9:13am:
My title is misleading.  The trillion dollar figure is for the entire military budget and the secret police.

It's outrageous Tom, but you know why the government considers it necessary.

Is it worth the price?
How much is US control over world oil worth?
In the 21st. century where wars are not fought head to head with big military means, the cost of defending against revenge terrorist attacks is not cheap.

And now many see Trump as closing the circle by resorting to unfair trade tactics. Other countries will fight back and the cost will escalate.

Libertarians used to be aware of such things but now their hearts and minds are Trump's.

It is a time when Americans will come together and join hands to support their country under Trump's lead.

It happened the same way in 1930's Germany the same way. A few Americans will resist in the same way but they will be singled out for abuse.

There appears to be no indication from the libertarian party yet that they will be leaders of the small opposition to Trump's plans.

I was Don G. but Craig owns me now.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
I fully agree with German's assertion that "[the U.S. Intelligence Community] has grown too large, too expensive, too powerful, too ineffective, and too unaccountable to the American people.”

Exactly the same could be said for the entire federal government.

The majority of Americans agree that government is much too large, and has too much power, following passage of the PATRIOT Act in October, 2001 (which foregoes 4th Amendment due process, and grants government the power to search, and imprison US citizens without a Court warrant)

https://news.gallup.com/poll/220199/majority-say-federal-government-power.aspx

Government scope and power needs to be scaled back to manageable level, and liberties restored.

“As government expands, liberty contracts.” - Ronald Reagan

IP Logged

SicklersDink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 2:22pm:
I fully agree with German's assertion that "[the U.S. Intelligence Community] has grown too large, too expensive, too powerful, too ineffective, and too unaccountable to the American people.”

Exactly the same could be said for the entire federal government.

German's?

Quote:
The majority of Americans agree that government is much too large, and has too much power, following passage of the PATRIOT Act in October, 2001 (which foregoes 4th Amendment due process, and grants government the power to search, and imprison US citizens without a Court warrant)

https://news.gallup.com/poll/220199/majority-say-federal-government-power.aspx

Government scope and power needs to be scaled back to manageable level, and liberties restored.

“As government expands, liberty contracts.” - Ronald Reagan

That's your  broken record playing again. It's a motherhood issue especially for libertarians, but also for others. It's otherwise meaningless.

What isn't meaningless is that libertarians aren't going to get their way when it comes to security against the threat from outside, and that's what this is all about.

The cost of the security is the price you have to pay.

France has likely decided to pay a lesser price. Not forgetting that they are more vulnerable so far.

I was Don G. but Craig owns me now.

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
SicklersDink wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 2:51pm:
German's?

That's your  broken record playing again. It's a motherhood issue especially for libertarians, but also for others. It's otherwise meaningless.

What isn't meaningless is that libertarians aren't going to get their way when it comes to security against the threat from outside, and that's what this is all about.

The cost of the security is the price you have to pay.

France has likely decided to pay a lesser price. Not forgetting that they are more vulnerable so far.

coutries like france cant aford to pay the price to do what ur saying the germans run the eu and for that to pay a price to sacure there border would hevely inpact there ecominey america can temparly aford this lv of spending the cold war crappity smacked my country with its long trum ramafacations

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
thermf5 wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 3:05pm:
ramafacations
C'mon thermie, the correct spelling is ramacrappity smackations.

It's not that hard to use the spellchecker, if you can just manage to get close...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 4:59pm:
C'mon thermie, the correct spelling is ramacrappity smackations.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin What a hoot! Thanks thermie!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › $1 Trillion for Secret Police
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy