Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Was the Sexual Revolution a Bad Thing?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Was the Sexual Revolution a Bad Thing? (Read 1639 times)
RubyHypatia
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Was the Sexual Revolution a Bad Thing?
Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:10am
Print Post  
I keep seeing people on the right railing against the sexual revolution, blaming feminists, but was it a bad thing?  Would we really want to go back to a Victorian way of thinking?  I certainly wouldn't.  I'm all for encouraging responsible sexuality, but wouldn't want to live in a society that continuously shamed our sexuality in order to control it.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Was the Sexual Revolution a Bad Thing?
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:58am
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:10am:
I keep seeing people on the right railing against the sexual revolution, blaming feminists, but was it a bad thing?  Would we really want to go back to a Victorian way of thinking?  I certainly wouldn't.  I'm all for encouraging responsible sexuality, but wouldn't want to live in a society that continuously shamed our sexuality in order to control it.
Societal values often change over time, but not everybody gave up Victorian ideas about sexuality, and some people, even in the Victorian era, never subscribed to it.

If society starts shaming unwed mothers, maybe we will have fewer of them, (although stopping the government from paying young unmarried women for having babies would stop most of what "Victorian minded" people see as wrong with the "sexual revolution").

If there are enough Gay Pride events that include public sex and nudity and lewd behavior (I know it when I see it! Wink), society might get the idea that condoning homosexuality is a bad idea and change from it's current stance of mostly accepting it.

As you know, their are people on the "left" who advocate for sex with children being just as normal as homosexuality.

A lot of what societies attitudes are and become depends on what they see happening in society.

If people see irresponsible sex all around them, they are likely to start demanding laws against it.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:58am:
Societal values often change over time, but not everybody gave up Victorian ideas about sexuality, and some people, even in the Victorian era, never subscribed to it.

If society starts shaming unwed mothers, maybe we will have fewer of them, (although stopping the government from paying young unmarried women for having babies would stop most of what "Victorian minded" people see as wrong with the "sexual revolution").

If there are enough Gay Pride events that include public sex and nudity and lewd behavior (I know it when I see it! Wink), society might get the idea that condoning homosexuality is a bad idea and change from it's current stance of mostly accepting it.

As you know, their are people on the "left" who advocate for sex with children being just as normal as homosexuality.

A lot of what societies attitudes are and become depends on what they see happening in society.

If people see irresponsible sex all around them, they are likely to start demanding laws against it.

As you have noted boss, sex is a 'dirty' thing to rightists. It has most to do with most rightists being sky fairy believers and they know that baby jesus doesn't approve of sex.

It's still going to take a long time for the US to break away from those Christian taboos boss even though I can talk freely about it when hanging with you.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If society starts shaming unwed mothers, maybe we will have fewer of them,

Yep, shame the women, but not the guys.  Isn't that how it has always been?  I can't tell you how many times I've heard idiot right wingers go on about single mothers getting government assistance, but say nothing of the deadbeat dads that made them mothers.

If we want fewer single mothers, we need to have better education.  Educated women are more likely to wait until marriage before having babies.  Education is the way to break the cycle of poverty.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
When I was a young woman, a doctor I was seeing, who happened to be a Christian (I live in the Bible Belt), asked me if I was saving myself for marriage.  I lied and said, "yes."  But I really wanted to say, "Just give me the damn tetanus shot!"
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Yes, the sexual revolution was a bad thing.

I'm not saying females shouldn't have equality. I think females should absolutely have equality.

But the sexual revolution induced females to give away the milk for free. Now no one buys the cow. Now single parenting is practically the norm. Now we have welfare instead of fathers. I think it's a result of people dismantling a system they thought was a useless restraint on freedom, but actually served an important purpose.

Whenever you tear something down, take the time to think about its purpose before declaring it useless. Then, if you discover the purpose, what you build in its place can be better, and still serve that purpose.

Female equality, without the sexual revolution as it happened.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 1:30pm:
Yep, shame the women, but not the guys.  Isn't that how it has always been?  I can't tell you how many times I've heard idiot right wingers go on about single mothers getting government assistance, but say nothing of the deadbeat dads that made them mothers.

If we want fewer single mothers, we need to have better education.  Educated women are more likely to wait until marriage before having babies.  Education is the way to break the cycle of poverty.
Yes, if society wants to start shaming fathers who abandon the women they impregnate, they will.

Education sounds great, but young women drop out of high school and intentionally get pregnant so they can start collecting welfare... How do you educate against that? Especially if "leaders" are telling them that the "capitalist" deck is stacked against them and is also "racist" and they are going to schools so bad that almost none of the few people who graduate can read or write or do basic math?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:32pm:
Yes, the sexual revolution was a bad thing.

I'm not saying females shouldn't have equality. I think females should absolutely have equality.

But the sexual revolution induced females to give away the milk for free. Now no one buys the cow. Now single parenting is practically the norm. Now we have welfare instead of fathers. I think it's a result of people dismantling a system they thought was a useless restraint on freedom, but actually served an important purpose.

Whenever you tear something down, take the time to think about its purpose before declaring it useless. Then, if you discover the purpose, what you build in its place can be better, and still serve that purpose.

Female equality, without the sexual revolution as it happened.
It's easy enough these days to have all the sex you want without getting pregnant (although there is no 100% guarantee) and I don't see anything wrong with waiting until you are married before you allow yourself to get pregnant.

Different solutions will work for different people.

What I saw most in the "sexual revolution" was an abandonment of personal responsibility in the name of instant pleasure. It was part and parcel of the "revolutionary" times, when everyone was being encouraged to give up personal responsibility and become part of the commune.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:43pm:
What I say most in the "sexual revolution" was an abandonment of personal responsibility in the name of instant pleasure.

One of the rare times I completely agree with you.

I said the same thing, I just said it differently. That was what I meant by people thinking the system they were dismantling was a useless restraint on freedom but actually served an important purpose.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:48pm:
One of the rare times I completely agree with you.

I said the same thing, I just said it differently. That was what I meant by people thinking the system they were dismantling was a useless restraint on freedom but actually served an important purpose.
Unfortunately, young revolutionaries are often desirous of tearing down everything and starting over.

Age and experience often teach people that societal mores and institutions exist because they serve good purposes. That is not always true, but the people clamoring for free sex were't thinking beyond instant pleasure.

In America today, there is no reason for adults to refrain from free sex is that's what they want, and no reason anyone should be ignorant of the potential bad consequences. Unfortunately, children are often ignorant of the potential bad consequences and they haven't yet learned to control their lizard brains when their lizard brains tell them to mate. Some people never learn that control, but hopefully they learn to control it enough to be safe and responsible about having sex.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Was the Sexual Revolution a Bad Thing?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy