Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Was the Sexual Revolution a Bad Thing?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Was the Sexual Revolution a Bad Thing? (Read 993 times)
RubyHypatia
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Was the Sexual Revolution a Bad Thing?
Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Education sounds great, but young women drop out of high school and intentionally get pregnant so they can start collecting welfare... How do you educate against that? Especially if "leaders" are telling them that the "capitalist" deck is stacked against them and is also "racist" and they are going to schools so bad that almost none of the few people who graduate can read or write or do basic math?

They need to stop the welfare programs.  Of course that won't happen because then the media will say Republicans want black babies to starve.  If education was privatized, that would help, but of course Dems don't want that.  I would like to see being responsible with one sexuality being promoted.  The media won't go along with that either.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I said the same thing, I just said it differently. That was what I meant by people thinking the system they were dismantling was a useless restraint on freedom but actually served an important purpose.

Pre-marital sex wasn't uncommon before the sexual revolution.  Women just secretly had the babies and gave them up for adoption, had back alley abortions, or just suffered the stigma of being single mothers.  I just don't see that system of shaming people's sexuality as a good thing.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 3:25pm:
They need to stop the welfare programs.  Of course that won't happen because then the media will say Republicans want black babies to starve.  If education was privatized, that would help, but of course Dems don't want that.  I would like to see being responsible with one sexuality being promoted.  The media won't go along with that either.
Which is your favorite sexuality?

You mean you want the government to "promote" it?

You know that will mean suppressing other sexualities don't you? Making them illegal?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 3:32pm:
Pre-marital sex wasn't uncommon before the sexual revolution.  Women just secretly had the babies and gave them up for adoption, had back alley abortions, or just suffered the stigma of being single mothers.  I just don't see that system of shaming people's sexuality as a good thing.
Unless it's not your favorite sexuality?

Anyway, your saying nothing was changed by the sexual revolution? Really?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 3:32pm:

It was the only thing that worked, unfortunately. You can't say in one breath that you want praise for being responsible but no shame for being irresponsible. They're two sides of the same coin. You can't have one without the other.

There's no proof that your choice was good if the person who chose the opposite didn't choose wrongly.

The person who chooses irresponsibility does so because he gets some immediate reward. If that does not later entail a penalty - if he's treated as just as good as the responsible person - he got the immediate benefit for free, which the responsible person forwent. In other words, the irresponsible person chose rightly. He got more out of his choice. Pure benefit; no drawback.

The shaming served as that penalty. And it sucks out loud for anyone to be treated like that, for any reason.

But it held society together.

I don't want no sexual revolution; I want a different revolution where people are ready to actually suffer for the poor choices they make. And yes, that means sometimes, babies will starve.

Humans aren't ready for that world yet. The way things are going, they never will be.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 7:37am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 5:36pm:
I don't want no sexual revolution; I want a different revolution where people are ready to actually suffer for the poor choices they make. And yes, that means sometimes, babies will starve.

For the most part, babies starve in places where economic freedom is not allowed and governments control a nations economy.

In free societies, there are compassionate people (who are almost invariably more prosperous than people in controlled societies) who will donate their time and money to see that babies don't starve, even if (or maybe especially if?) the parents of the child are irresponsible.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Quote:
Which is your favorite sexuality?

You mean you want the government to "promote" it?

You know that will mean suppressing other sexualities don't you? Making them illegal?

Who said anything about different sexualities, Jeff?  Weird how you read something in my post that wasn't there.  And the only thing I said about government was that they should stop Welfare.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Quote:
Anyway, your saying nothing was changed by the sexual revolution? Really?

I didn't say that either, Jeff.  I'm saying shaming didn't keep people from engaging in pre-marital sex.  Fat shaming has always been around and yet we now have an obesity epidemic.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Quote:
In free societies, there are compassionate people (who are almost invariably more prosperous than people in controlled societies) who will donate their time and money to see that babies don't starve, even if (or maybe especially if?) the parents of the child are irresponsible.

I don't think babies would starve either, Jeff.  There will always be charities willing to help.  And having to rely on charity would discourage more irresponsible baby making.

IP Logged

SicklersDink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 7:37am:
For the most part, babies starve in places where economic freedom is not allowed and governments control a nations economy.

In countries that practice 'socially responsible' capitalism boss, babies don't starve. Being socially responsible ensures that.

And it ensures a lot more too, such as ensuring 'all' the people are doing well. Homophobes disappear over time because nobody pays attention to them anymore.

Charity isn't relied upon to fulfill the needs of people who are in need. A government is elected by the people that has the welfare of the people as it's first priority.

It really does exist boss. It's not fully accepted in the happiest countries in the world yet, but it's likely going to be the standard of the 21st. century for which to strive.

So libertarians strive for that kind of high ideal? If they did then they would have something to offer the American people.

P-l's viciously resent anything to do with helping people in need. It's all about their rights at the expense of everybody else.

I was Don G. but Craig owns me now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Was the Sexual Revolution a Bad Thing?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy