Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › If the U.S.' problem with healthcare is government intervention...
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) If the U.S.' problem with healthcare is government intervention... (Read 841 times)
DontTread44
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

If the U.S.' problem with healthcare is government intervention...
Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Why do other countries spend much less on state-sponsored healthcare and even have longer lifespans than we do?

IP Logged

RubyHypatia
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: If the U.S.' problem with healthcare is government intervention...
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Americans are generally terrible about having poor lifestyle habits.  Medicine can only do so much to counteract that.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
DontTread44 wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:31pm:
Why do other countries spend much less on state-sponsored healthcare and even have longer lifespans than we do?

You seem to be suggesting 'medical outcomes'?

That has an indirect link to healthcare spending, but only indirect.
So, spending more money doesn't produce worse outcomes.

The US spends nearly twice as much as Canada on healthcare and has worse medical outcome than Canada.

I'll not jump in yet and so give Americans a chance to voice some opinions. All I'm volunteering is the facts I've given.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
fwiw, I'll present an argument I've been subjected to that argues for the pro-American side of the debate.

The excuse I was given was based on US poverty rates, as opposed to other countries with better and cheaper healthcare and far better medical outcomes.

Small consolation that is, to an American.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
DontTread44 wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:31pm:
Diet, exercise and genetics play a huge role.

Their taxpayer funded medical care systems are also more sensible and better constructed than the ACA.

This was Obama's plan (actually the plan of his handlers) that they would pass a health insurance and medical care law that was so bad that single payer bureaucrat run insurance and health care would look good by comparison.

Compare a bureaucratically run system with a free market system, and single payer government bureaucrat  operated medical care looks like crap on the front porch.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Why do other countries get to piggyback off of American healthcare?

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 4:23pm:
Diet, exercise and genetics play a huge role.

Their taxpayer funded medical care systems are also more sensible and better constructed than the ACA.

This was Obama's plan (actually the plan of his handlers) that they would pass a health insurance and medical care law that was so bad that single payer bureaucrat run insurance and health care would look good by comparison.

Compare a bureaucratically run system with a free market system, and single payer government bureaucrat  operated medical care looks like crap on the front porch.

Did you know that Obamacare has improved the US health care problem. The biggest reason for the US's low rating is access to health care.

But the WHO are commies and they lie to make America look bad. It seems to be working!

Love ya boss when you get within minutes of going off.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Quote:
Did you know that Obamacare has improved the US health care problem.
If by "improved the problem" you mean made it worse, that's true.

Here's a link to the introduction to a book that could teach you a lot Dong, but you won't even bother to read the introduction-

https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/overcharged/overcharged-introductio...

Start reading on page 4 if you want to go right to the description of the various government created problems.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Obamacare cause our premiums to skyrocket so much that we had to drop our insurance.  This happened right before a major medical crisis in our family which led to a $100,000 hospital bill we couldn't pay.  So please tell me again, Dink, how wonderful Obamacare is.

IP Logged

JW
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 10:01am
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 9:24am:
Obamacare cause our premiums to skyrocket so much that we had to drop our insurance.  This happened right before a major medical crisis in our family which led to a $100,000 hospital bill we couldn't pay.  So please tell me again, Dink, how wonderful Obamacare is.

Ruby, let's rephrase the facts.  ACA took away your ability to have major medical coverage only, making those policies illegal.  You chose the option to have no insurance.  You then got a major medical event, which would have/may have been covered under your prior major medical, but was not covered under your "no insurance'.  But you could have purchased in insurance, and then your cost would have been covered.

Libertarians believe in choices.  I certainly understand that ACA took away the option you preferred.  And I certainly understand that it made insurance more expensive for you so you felt you had no choice, but that is also a factor of local conditions in your state.  In my state, a low cost plan is about $200 per month for each person.

In my business over five years, our health care costs have decreased about 10% overall; where prior to ACA it was going up about 8% per year.   So it might have been about 40% higher now than without ACA.  Right now I pay about $60k per year for everyone in the company so we are getting about $24k per year savings.

I hope your family member got better and that the Hospital got you a break on the bill.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › If the U.S.' problem with healthcare is government intervention...
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy