Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The XFL as an Experiment in Capitalism
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The XFL as an Experiment in Capitalism (Read 79 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

The XFL as an Experiment in Capitalism
Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
The revival of the XFL in 2020 seeks to compete, on the free market, with the existing NFL for fans of the Handegg sport.

I consider this an experiment in capitalism. Can the free market, through competition, solve some of the pressing problems that cause consumers of the sport to find themselves unhappy?

A few of these include:

1. Penalties are very subjective, especially holding and pass interference. The referees have free reign to let penalties slide, and through no-calls, determine the outcome of a game. Consuming the product (the game, or recording thereof) feels less fulfilling to the consumer if the outcome is decided by the referees pummeling one team with disproportionate penalties rather than athletic ability and teamwork.

2. The draft and post-season structure encourages some teams to stay good, and some teams to stay terrible for extended periods of time. Consuming the product feels less fulfilling if one participant never had a chance. Upsets happen, but they're rare. The even match is the rarity and the one-sided slaughter is the norm.

3. Corruption. Some wildly successful teams are allowed to engage in such practices as deflating their playing balls for extra ease of completions, or buy the coaching staff on other teams who then trade the best players to the wildly successful teams. Players caught using drugs, beating their wives, or committing crimes often go unpunished or get off with a slap on the wrist.

4. Lack of Response to Consumer. Regardless of whether kneeling players disrespecting the American anthem and flag are morally right or wrong, fans don't like it, and the response of the NFL has been to tell the collective consumer to %#&% itself so they can indulge their whiney players. I actually believe the kneeling players have valid grievances, but nonetheless, their job is not a platform for political protest. Would you be allowed to use your job as a platform for political protest against the wishes of the consumer? I didn't think so. Fans overwhelmingly hate it, but the NFL allows it anyway. This represents a failure of the free market to give the consumer what it wants.

Will competition on the free market solve these problems, as libertarians claim?

Only time will tell.

My personal prediction is that the XFL will indeed strive to solve many if not all of these issues, but that the stronger, existing competitor will use its preexisting power in the market to muscle the XFL out of business.

I believe that this is the usual outcome of the free market: The better competitor - usually an upstart - actually loses to the lazy giant who refuses to satisfy the consumer and picks flexing its resource-heavy muscles instead. Will the NFL start paying Television stations not to show the XFL? Will the XFL find itself relegated to programming slots the consumer will have to expend significant effort or funds to watch because the NFL wants to remain a monopoly?

Again, only time will tell.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The XFL as an Experiment in Capitalism
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Time will tell.

Consider that people are cutting the cable and watching less and less broadcasting from the old time media outlets, which gives startups a better chance.

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The XFL as an Experiment in Capitalism
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:58pm:
The revival of the XFL in 2020 seeks to compete, on the free market, with the existing NFL for fans of the Handegg sport.

I consider this an experiment in capitalism. Can the free market, through competition, solve some of the pressing problems that cause consumers of the sport to find themselves unhappy?

A few of these include:

1. Penalties are very subjective, especially holding and pass interference. The referees have free reign to let penalties slide, and through no-calls, determine the outcome of a game. Consuming the product (the game, or recording thereof) feels less fulfilling to the consumer if the outcome is decided by the referees pummeling one team with disproportionate penalties rather than athletic ability and teamwork.

2. The draft and post-season structure encourages some teams to stay good, and some teams to stay terrible for extended periods of time. Consuming the product feels less fulfilling if one participant never had a chance. Upsets happen, but they're rare. The even match is the rarity and the one-sided slaughter is the norm.

3. Corruption. Some wildly successful teams are allowed to engage in such practices as deflating their playing balls for extra ease of completions, or buy the coaching staff on other teams who then trade the best players to the wildly successful teams. Players caught using drugs, beating their wives, or committing crimes often go unpunished or get off with a slap on the wrist.

4. Lack of Response to Consumer. Regardless of whether kneeling players disrespecting the American anthem and flag are morally right or wrong, fans don't like it, and the response of the NFL has been to tell the collective consumer to %#&% itself so they can indulge their whiney players. I actually believe the kneeling players have valid grievances, but nonetheless, their job is not a platform for political protest. Would you be allowed to use your job as a platform for political protest against the wishes of the consumer? I didn't think so. Fans overwhelmingly hate it, but the NFL allows it anyway. This represents a failure of the free market to give the consumer what it wants.

Will competition on the free market solve these problems, as libertarians claim?

Only time will tell.

My personal prediction is that the XFL will indeed strive to solve many if not all of these issues, but that the stronger, existing competitor will use its preexisting power in the market to muscle the XFL out of business.

I believe that this is the usual outcome of the free market: The better competitor - usually an upstart - actually loses to the lazy giant who refuses to satisfy the consumer and picks flexing its resource-heavy muscles instead. Will the NFL start paying Television stations not to show the XFL? Will the XFL find itself relegated to programming slots the consumer will have to expend significant effort or funds to watch because the NFL wants to remain a monopoly?

Again, only time will tell.

canibus is not a profrommiss enhancing drug but there was a player repromanded for failing a drug test with it honsly the nfl should change there drug policy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The XFL as an Experiment in Capitalism
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy