Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › would singing a nonlibutry contract make helth care cheeper and better
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic would singing a nonlibutry contract make helth care cheeper and better (Read 41 times)
thermf5
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

would singing a nonlibutry contract make helth care cheeper and better
Jul 25th, 2018 at 7:18am
Print Post  
honstly i want a country where u cAN see a docture and free them of the libibulty so u can get the helth care that u diseve

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: would singing a nonlibutry contract make helth care cheeper and better
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 2:41am
Print Post  
Yes, this would help.

The main problem with medicine and good, cheap care isn't political at all. The problem is that the medical industry is deliberately picky in how many people they license because they want to keep demand, and prices, high. So they make sure supply never exceeds demand.

There's a problem with what you suggest, because the only enforceable contracts under the NAP would be those that specifically transfer property explicitly.

You could agree not to sue, but there would be no way to enforce this contract. The party who signed it has the right to breach it.

https://mises.org/library/property-rights-and-theory-contracts
Quote:
The right of property implies the right to make contracts about that property: to give it away or to exchange titles of ownership for the property of another person. Unfortunately, many libertarians, devoted to the right to make contracts, hold the contract itself to be an absolute, and therefore maintain that any voluntary contract whatever must be legally enforceable in the free society.

Their error is a failure to realize that the right to contract is strictly derivable from the right of private property, and therefore that the only enforceable contracts (i.e., those backed by the sanction of legal coercion) should be those where the failure of one party to abide by the contract implies the theft of property from the other party.

In short, a contract should only be enforceable when the failure to fulfill it is an implicit theft of property. But this can only be true if we hold that validly enforceable contracts only exist where title to property has already been transferred, and therefore where the failure to abide by the contract means that the other party's property is retained by the delinquent party, without the consent of the former (implicit theft). Hence, this proper libertarian theory of enforceable contracts has been termed the "title-transfer" theory of contracts.

Emphasis added,

Note that this doesn't even include a contract where I pay for an item. The seller has every right to change his mind after I pay, unless title was actually transferred with the contract itself.

If I offer Jake $5 for a chicken, and he accepts, he has every right to take the money and slam his door in my face. It's still his chicken, unless the contract actually transferred title.

Civil court would be my recourse. This was an interesting topic that clarified this for me.

http://www.libertariansforum.com/cgi-bin/freedom/YaBB.pl?num=1460537671

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 2:53am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jul 26th, 2018 at 2:41am:
Yes, this would help.

The main problem with medicine and good, cheap care isn't political at all. The problem is that the medical industry is deliberately picky in how many people they license because they want to keep demand, and prices, high. So they make sure supply never exceeds demand.

There's a problem with what you suggest, because the only enforceable contracts under the NAP would be those that specifically transfer property explicitly.

You could agree not to sue, but there would be no way to enforce this contract. The party who signed it has the right to breach it.

https://mises.org/library/property-rights-and-theory-contracts

Emphasis added,

Note that this doesn't even include a contract where I pay for an item. The seller has every right to change his mind after I pay, unless title was actually transferred with the contract itself.

If I offer Jake $5 for a chicken, and he accepts, he has every right to take the money and slam his door in my face. It's still his chicken, unless the contract actually transferred title.

Civil court would be my recourse. This was an interesting topic that clarified this for me.

http://www.libertariansforum.com/cgi-bin/freedom/YaBB.pl?num=1460537671

the medical indastry is reulated by polotics/goverment and i think the nap is a vololation of self ownership i am more of a antiagresstion man where u do ur own thing and mind ur own bizness or u get killed what i want would be a phycological egoists dream i likre parts of libertianism but other parts are messed up i am a acluktive person that take what i like from multple phlo-a-fees or polotics and creat my own

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 3:03am
Print Post  
thermf5 wrote on Jul 26th, 2018 at 2:53am:
the medical indastry is reulated by polotics/goverment and i think the nap is a vololation of self ownership i am more of a antiagresstion man where u do ur own thing and mind ur own bizness or u get killed what i want would be a phycological egoists dream i likre parts of libertianism but other parts are messed up i am a acluktive person that take what i like from multple phlo-a-fees or polotics and creat my own

I get it; you're a little eclectic.

From a practicality standpoint, yes, limiting liability would make medicine cheaper.

It's just that you'd need a contract to restrict the liability and it wouldn't be enforceable.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 3:18am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jul 26th, 2018 at 3:03am:
I get it; you're a little eclectic.

From a practicality standpoint, yes, limiting liability would make medicine cheaper.

It's just that you'd need a contract to restrict the liability and it wouldn't be enforceable.

what is enforceable would depend on the laws that are in efect if u had laws founded on self ownership then it would be

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jul 26th, 2018 at 2:41am:
Yes, this would help.

Exactly! It's called price fixing and has to be stopped. It's a failing of capitalism in instances where the sort of 'free for all' capitalism doesn't contain the mechanisms to prevent it.

Maybe the best way to approach the issue with you would be to ask you if it would be a violation of the NAP to force them to stop cheating the people? Does the NAP apply to the law 'forcing' somebody to go to jail?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › would singing a nonlibutry contract make helth care cheeper and better
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy