Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Making War on Drugs
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Making War on Drugs (Read 150 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Making War on Drugs
Jul 26th, 2018 at 8:14am
Print Post  
This doesn't get much air time-

http://thecrux.com/how-trump-ends-the-opioid-crisis/

Portugal did the right thing, and it worked.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Re: Making War on Drugs
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jul 26th, 2018 at 8:14am:
This doesn't get much air time-

http://thecrux.com/how-trump-ends-the-opioid-crisis/

Portugal did the right thing, and it worked.

Quote:
It also started treating drug addiction like a public health matter, instead of a criminal one.

When these sort of serious matters are written about by Americans, we can usually conclude that there's a lie of two buried in the story.

Not to discount Portugal's success! It's great and it demonstrates social responsibility.

The lie is in the fact that Norway's system has been practicing socially responsibility in the criminal justice system for years, and it doesn't "just" apply to street drugs.

And of course we know that the Netherlands and the rest of the world has done so too, on a comparitive basis with the US.

Does Trump intend to copy the Europeans? He could start with a moderated approach by copying Canada, or any other prison system that isn't about to burst at the seams.

This my friend, is libertarianism in action!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 8:05am
Print Post  
http://thecrux.com/what-would-it-take-to-win-the-drug-war/

A self explanatory title. For a hint as to the content, the Philippines haven't won their war on drugs yet...

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
They will never win the war on drugs because they don't want to. More cops are probably on the take than not, and it's probably only the competitors of the big guys who can pay the cops, who are getting busted.

For the same reason, drugs will never be legalised. It's not good business.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 12:15pm:
They will never win the war on drugs because they don't want to.
From the article-

"According to Human Rights Watch, the Philippine government has killed more than 12,000 drug suspects in the last two years of drug warfare. No arrests. No trials. No convictions. No incarcerations. Just straight-out killing."

IP Logged

lksalksa123

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
  The drug war is a complete failure.  Something should be illegal only if it absolutely has to be.  The 1920s showed that making alcohol illegal raised crime and didn’t curb consumption as much as one would think.  The unbelievable amount of money spent on the drug war would be better invested elsewhere.  Also, the American Medical Association classifies addiction as a mental health problem; they are very sick people who rarely recover and very often die from drug/alcohol use.  Making drugs illegal also raises crime rates exponentially.  There is an argument that Portugal’s society has a more homogenous society than our own so decriminalizing drugs may not have the same effects.  One thing is certain, what we are doing now clearly isn’t working so let’s try something new.

JWS

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
lksalksa123 wrote on Sep 30th, 2018 at 4:57pm:
The unbelievable amount of money spent on the drug war would be better invested elsewhere. 
And it will be if you leave it in the hands of the people that earned it instead of sucking it out of the real economy through taxes.

I hope you weren't hoping the the government would "invest" the money in something else...

Were you?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
lksalksa123 wrote on Sep 30th, 2018 at 4:57pm:
Also, the American Medical Association classifies addiction as a mental health problem...
Screw them. I'm addicted to caffeine and nicotine. They say I have a "mental health problem"?

Actual mind scientists in the APA call my caffeine addiction a Mental Disorder. Grin They also say it's absolutely normal to be completely and totally  confused about whether you are male or female or other.

Scroom all.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 30th, 2018 at 5:09pm:
And it will be if you leave it in the hands of the people that earned it instead of sucking it out of the real economy through taxes.

I hope you weren't hoping the the government would "invest" the money in something else...

Were you?

Wait, what?

Are there two posters named Jeff on this forum or is one of you a parody troll who somehow put an extra space in his name that makes the names look the same?

Because there are at least a hundred polls by “Jeff” that extoll the wonderful benefits of having a government that sucks money out of our wallets for things that “pretty much everyone agrees” on. 

You should report that guy, he’s making you look like an idiot . . .

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Oct 1st, 2018 at 5:00pm:
Because there are at least a hundred polls by “Jeff” that extoll the wonderful benefits of having a government that sucks money out of our wallets for things that “pretty much everyone agrees” on. 
You're such a bore...

I don't blame you, I don't think it's your fault.

Instead of being taught to think, it seems like you were taught to feel and intuit based on your feelings.

But I don't even blame you for accepting such teaching as truth and reality and right thinking, because I understand that you were never taught to take control of your lizard brain.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Making War on Drugs
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy