Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Libertarian Party needs change
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Libertarian Party needs change (Read 1851 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Libertarian Party needs change
Reply #40 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 9:14am:
Once again, you claim free markets and economic liberty must be abandoned because they don't work "perfectly".

No, Crabhat, I simply claim that they don't work perfectly.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #41 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 6:08pm:
No, Crabhat, I simply claim that they don't work perfectly.
Good. Does that mean you don't want to ban advertising?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 7:35pm:
Good. Does that mean you don't want to ban advertising?

No, I do not want to ban advertising, because that would be wrong. It would violate the NAP.

I also recognise that if advertising were banned, it would stop a lot of needless cost from being paid by the consumer. I don't even think this would make anything cheaper (after all, if the price people will pay for a donut is $1, then it will cost $1), I just see it as wasteful.

Oh yeah, and if political ads were banned, it would force people to make up their own minds, and the libertarian party might actually get some votes.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #43 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 6:45am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 10:35pm:
No, I do not want to ban advertising, because that would be wrong. It would violate the NAP.

I also recognise that if advertising were banned, it would stop a lot of needless cost from being paid by the consumer. I don't even think this would make anything cheaper (after all, if the price people will pay for a donut is $1, then it will cost $1), I just see it as wasteful.

Oh yeah, and if political ads were banned, it would force people to make up their own minds, and the libertarian party might actually get some votes.
The people who pay for ads disagree with you, they think it makes the market work better, which in it's roundabout democratic sort of way, ends up making things cheaper and better and more readily available.

If political ads were banned it would be a serious assault on the right of free speech.

If you are concerned about people being able to choose the candidates they really want, work to remove the "legal" control of the electoral process from the TwoParties.

IP Logged

Andrew_Armao
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #44 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 11:03pm
Print Post  

SuperPACs must become illegal.

Andrew J Armao

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #45 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 6:16am
Print Post  
Andrew_Armao wrote on Aug 8th, 2018 at 11:03pm:
SuperPACs must become illegal.
Why?

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  

You're hinting at just 'some' advertizing be banned. If you're not afraid of a very sensible modification to the LP agenda then ask me about just what advertising is banned in Canada, and perhaps should be banned.

But if you're still just hinting and are afraid to go there then never mind.

My boss is usually right on a lot of issues but this is one where I feel he's wrong, and so would gladly take your side and support you if you are trying to introduce something sensible and necessary to the conversation.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #47 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You're hinting at just 'some' advertizing be banned. If you're not afraid of a very sensible modification to the LP agenda then ask me about just what advertising is banned in Canada, and perhaps should be banned.

But if you're still just hinting and are afraid to go there then never mind.

My boss is usually right on a lot of issues but this is one where I feel he's wrong, and so would gladly take your side and support you if you are trying to introduce something sensible and necessary to the conversation.
Canada probably bans advertising for products they think lead to immoral behavior or dangers to a persons health, probably on the theory that ordinary Canadians would mostly be drunks that smoked cigarettes until they were disabled or dead if the wise government wasn't there to help them.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:23pm:
Canada probably bans advertising for products they think lead to immoral behavior or dangers to a persons health, probably on the theory that ordinary Canadians would mostly be drunks that smoked cigarettes until they were disabled or dead if the wise government wasn't there to help them.

I don't see any connection to immoral behaviour, as in morality/immorality. I think in that field Canada is as tolerant as any country, with maybe the exception of some of the Scandinavian countries or Germany, Netherlands, France, etc.

But you're definitely onto something when you mention 'health'.

Specifically, tobbacco, alcohol, and pharmaceuticals. I am of the opinion that we take the proper position on those and I would suspect that you would differ.

If you want a discussion on the issue then make it known. I'm happy with letting sleeping dogs lie for now.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #49 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I don't see any connection to immoral behaviour, as in morality/immorality. I think in that field Canada is as tolerant as any country, with maybe the exception of some of the Scandinavian countries or Germany, Netherlands, France, etc.

But you're definitely onto something when you mention 'health'.

Specifically, tobbacco, alcohol, and pharmaceuticals. I am of the opinion that we take the proper position on those and I would suspect that you would differ.

If you want a discussion on the issue then make it known. I'm happy with letting sleeping dogs lie for now.
Alcohol in moderation has proven health benefits. Does Canada allow alcohol advertising that relays that fact to the public?

IDK and don't really care, but if they ban alcohol ads, its for "moral" reasons whether they claim its for health reasons or not.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Libertarian Party needs change
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy