Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Libertarian Party needs change
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Libertarian Party needs change (Read 1257 times)
SicklersDink
Ex Member

Re: The Libertarian Party needs change
Reply #50 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:52pm:
Alcohol in moderation has proven health benefits. Does Canada allow alcohol advertising that relays that fact to the public?

Canada allows and encourages that fact to be relayed to the public. But not through advertising because that positive would be lost in the cloud of negatives.

Do you think an alcohol producer would take part in advertising for that purpose??

Quote:
IDK and don't really care, but if they ban alcohol ads, its for "moral" reasons whether they claim its for health reasons or not.

Interesting idea there and I won't put it down out of hand. But I'm trying to think of how you are connecting the disallowing of alcohol advertising because of some morality issue?

Are you saying that Canada is being morally superior in that respect?

I don't think so. I can put in a way that you may be able to agree with though:

Canada is being dictatorial on account of understanding that to lessen the consumption of alcohol will go a long way in preventing heart disease and other maladies that are connected to drinking. Thereby keeping the cost of health care down to managable levels. You may want to see that as government's greed to savethe taxpayer's money.

But then when we stop to think about it, we have to ask ourselves who is harmed by not allowing the advertising? The alcohol producers? Or with the tobacco producers, them too?

I think I'm taking the libertarian side of this discussion.

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #51 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Canada allows and encourages that fact to be relayed to the public. But not through advertising because that positive would be lost in the cloud of negatives.

Ho hum... Could you please explain that? No? Fine.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #52 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Interesting idea there and I won't put it down out of hand. But I'm trying to think of how you are connecting the disallowing of alcohol advertising because of some morality issue?

You never heard of the Women's Christian Temperance Movement?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #53 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
But then when we stop to think about it, we have to ask ourselves who is harmed by not allowing the advertising?
Buyers and sellers. Free people. They are harmed.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
You never heard of the Women's Christian Temperance Movement?

Yes, there's an indirect connection there. But for it to be a moral issue to you is too much of an historic stretch to handle.

It's all health care related in Canada. You don't have to like the idea; just be aware of it.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #55 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes, there's an indirect connection there. But for it to be a moral issue to you is too much of an historic stretch to handle.

It's all health care related in Canada. You don't have to like the idea; just be aware of it.
But does it work? Have rates of alcohol abuse decreased in Canada since they banned the advertising of demon rum??

I read recently that young people in America are using less alcohol. Perhaps that's a trend that has to do with something I can't even imagine?

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 7:28am:
But does it work? Have rates of alcohol abuse decreased in Canada since they banned the advertising of demon rum??

I read recently that young people in America are using less alcohol. Perhaps that's a trend that has to do with something I can't even imagine?

Statistically, I think alcohol consumption is less in Canada compared to the US. Would you like to discuss that?

Another factor which could explain the difference in consumption is the price of a bottle of the demon rum alcoholic beverages.

(or maybe nobody wants to talk to me?)

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #57 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Statistically, I think alcohol consumption is less in Canada compared to the US. Would you like to discuss that?

The per capita alcohol consumption in Canada is actually higher than the US.

https://www.macleans.ca/society/canadians-drink-more-alcohol-than-the-global-ave...

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:08pm:
The per capita alcohol consumption in Canada is actually higher than the US.

https://www.macleans.ca/society/canadians-drink-more-alcohol-than-the-global-ave...

I'll always take your contributions to this forum seriously when you make an attempt to be honest and serious. In this care you did and were making that attempt. Save that you once again allow your knee to jerk too quickly. Albeit that, it would be debatable if it was important to find a distinction in the small difference.

Here's one that puts the US at 9.8 and Canada at 8.9 liters per capita.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.ALC.PCAP.LI?view=chart

Now if you could start to be more realistic and honest about the LP agenda, we would have something to discuss. That's not going to happen is it.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #59 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Now if you could start to be more realistic and honest about the LP agenda, we would have something to discuss. That's not going to happen is it.

As a (paid) LP member,  I'm very knowledgeable about the LP agenda.

I'm more than happy to discuss it with you.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Libertarian Party needs change
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy