Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How a Libertarian Strips Rights: A Challenge
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How a Libertarian Strips Rights: A Challenge (Read 766 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: How a Libertarian Strips Rights: A Challenge
Reply #50 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 6:13am:
Why do most Vulcans respect the rights of others?

Why do no dragons think of humans as anything but prey?

Edit: Don't tell me about "good" dragons, they don't exist. They are a fantasy/

Both are fantasies, and there are counter-examples within the established canon of those fantasies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_dragon
Metallic dragon is a classification of dragon found in the role playing game Dungeons & Dragons. In this setting metallic dragons are of good alignment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonheart

As I keep telling you, these counter-examples exist within established lore because good writers know that intelligent beings are individuals.

You're just a racist crabhat, and you're clever enough that Don will never notice.

Don will also get me banned for discussing fiction rather than reality, because he can't just use his cry-racist insta-win when people don't discuss real life.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:11pm:
Both are fantasies, and there are counter-examples within the established canon of those fantasies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_dragon
Metallic dragon is a classification of dragon found in the role playing game Dungeons & Dragons. In this setting metallic dragons are of good alignment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonheart

As I keep telling you, these counter-examples exist within established lore because good writers know that intelligent beings are individuals.

You're just a racist crabhat, and you're clever enough that Don will never notice.

Don will also get me banned for discussing fiction rather than reality, because he can't just use his cry-racist insta-win when people don't discuss real life.

Jeff's racism absolutely does not escape my notice.

let's put it this way Oppo: All Americans  are likely inflicted with some degree of racism. The issue then becomes, being proactive enough to convince others that you aren't. The ball is always in the American's court.

My accusations against you are founded on your refusal to be that proactive.

You don't have to be vocal on putting down obvious racism of others, for example, burnsred's nasty spiel. You can certainly get away with saying nothing. But it sure would help if you did voice your objections!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #52 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
All Americans  are likely inflicted with some degree of racism.

Let's begin with this statement ^   ^   ^

Quote:
The issue then becomes, being proactive enough to convince others that you aren't. The ball is always in the American's court.

Ooops... See the problem here, Dink?   You made a dubious claim, and now you demand that Oppo validates your dubious claim by convincing others that he is an exception to your assertion that all Americans are "likely inflicted with some degree of racism".

Smiley

It just doesn't work like that, Grasshopper.

Quote:
My accusations against you are founded on your refusal to be that proactive.

Oh dear.   *sigh*

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 3:02pm:
Let's begin with this statement ^   ^   ^

Ooops... See the problem here, Dink?   You made a dubious claim, and now you demand that Oppo validates your dubious claim by convincing others that he is an exception to your assertion that all Americans are racist.

Smiley

Oh dear.   *sigh*

Don't worry about it chief, you're no where near to being able to absorb that which Oppo and Jeff can absorb.

Fwiw with you, and that's not much: The US created a situation in which it was destined to suffer the effects of for many years to come. All that has changed since the 60's when being a racist was completely acceptable in the US, is that it's spoken of in a different manner. Attitudes have changed very little!

Therein lies the major root cause for most of your political problems. The country is divided along North/South lines in fact, with centers of *progressiveism on the coasts.

*I always use the word 'progress' and it's related terms in the true sense.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Something els that needs to be mentioned is that Trump has found considerable political support by bringing the racists out of their closets. The pointy hats and bedsheets with eyeholes in them were always there.

And that's the reason for a need to be proactive on the condemnation of racism.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #55 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Something els that needs to be mentioned is that Trump has found considerable political support by bringing the racists out of their closets. The pointy hats and bedsheets with eyeholes in them were always there.

That will help destroy the Republican faction of the TwoParties. Perhaps.

Racism doesn't really have traction in America except in "elite" circles of "leaders" who are trying to stir it up to divide Americans.

I don't think it's working they way they hoped.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #56 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 4:20pm:
Racism doesn't really have traction in America except in "elite" circles of "leaders" who are trying to stir it up to divide Americans.

I don't think it's working they way they hoped.

Exactly.   

"Racism is an industry... If there were no more racism, politicians, activists, and sociology professors would be out of work"  - M. Adrian Norman

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #57 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Jeff's racism absolutely does not escape my notice.

Yes it does. If you read back the last two pages, he states that you absolutely should judge intelligent beings by the group they belong to.

But you won't, because you're a stupid sack of bricks whose species eats tide pods.

You prefer the insta-win by just declaring everything nonsense if it deals with fiction, and racism if it deals with reality.

You're proving in this thread that you don't care about actual racism. You know, the idea that it's okay to judge people based on the group they belong to.

SkyChief wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 3:02pm:
Ooops... See the problem here, Dink?   You made a dubious claim, and now you demand that Oppo validates your dubious claim by convincing others that he is an exception to your assertion that all Americans are "likely inflicted with some degree of racism".

Smiley

It does on this forum. And since he's already signed several documents preemptively declaring it telepathic rape if I attempt to force a mind-meld with him, I am incapable of disproving what is in my mind, so he wins.

He could say there was a squirrel in my brain, and he'd still win. He's stated that the burden of proof is on me. How do I prove there isn't a squirrel in my brain? Well, I can't. Proving a negative isn't easy.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #58 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 11:37pm:
... since he's already signed several documents preemptively declaring it telepathic rape if I attempt to force a mind-meld with him, I am incapable of disproving what is in my mind, so he wins.

How do I prove there isn't a squirrel in my brain? Well, I can't. Proving a negative isn't easy.

Sweet Athena,  Don't ever do the mind-meld!!!  At least not with him!

You could lose many IQ points!  Seriously.

Don't even try it.

Back to the topic:  "How a Libertarian Strips Rights"

Humans have rights.  Non-humans have rights, too.  Humans typically have more rights than non-humans because we have the intelligence (and the will) to assert them.

But a non-human will always have the right to trump human rights provided he/she/it has the will and capability to.

"When aliens eventually come to Earth, we will need to explain why we made movies in which we fight and kill them." - anonymous

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #59 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:58am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 11:59pm:
You could lose many IQ points!  Seriously.

Fine. You know how to convince me. Though I'm hardly joking about that being the only way to prove what is, or is not, in my head.

Humans have rights.  Non-humans have rights, too.  Humans typically have more rights than non-humans because we have the intelligence (and the will) to assert them.

That's nice for people who like to stomp their feet instead of play by the existing rules.

"When aliens eventually come to Earth, we will need to explain why we made movies in which we fight and kill them." - anonymous

I know we're talking about fiction here, but we can still aggregate the data.

You tend to be less likely to kill the ones whose faces basically look like your faces.

Has a human face = lives

Does not have a human face = dies

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How a Libertarian Strips Rights: A Challenge
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy