Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Policies of US Presidents
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Libertarian Policies of US Presidents (Read 294 times)
N567

Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian Policies of US Presidents
Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Here are some libertarian policies made by US presidents throughout history, the definition of Libertarian policy being that it increases the freedom of the people. Though the right and left have been imposing some authoritarian ideological policies, there is still an undercurrent of Libertarianism that is gradually gaining momentum and increasing the deregulation of America with the aid of these good presidents:

George Washington - founded the first fully democratic presidential country in the world.

Abraham Lincoln - abolished slavery.

Woodrow Wilson - abolished tariffs and introduced the Federal Reserve.

Herbert Hoover - created the Reconstruction Finance Corporation to free corporations and people from debt.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt - introduced the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), the Civil Works Administration (CWA), the Farm Security Administration (FSA), the National Industrial Recovery Act of 1933 (NIRA) to free the US from the Great Depression, introduced trade liberalization, social security, and established the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.

John F. Kennedy - reduced immigration restrictions, abolished mandatory death penalty, introduced the community mental health act to reduce involuntary committment, and introduced the right to refuse psychiatric treatment.

Lyndon B. Johnson - introduced the Civil Rights Acts to prohibit racial discrimination, introduced the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 to end poverty, and introduced Medicaid to relieve the financial burden of medical expenses.

Richard Nixon - ended the draft and racial segregation.

Ronald Reagan - introduced Reaganomics to deregulate the economy and accelerate economic growth and the deinstitutionalization act to drastically limit involuntary committment.

Bill Clinton - introduced globalization, Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, and the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000 to deregulate the economy.

George Bush - introduced the Bush Tax Cuts to reduce the tax burden.

Barack Obama - legalized stem cell research, marijuana and homosexual marriage.

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarian Policies of US Presidents
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
N567 wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:44pm:
Here are some libertarian policies made by US presidents throughout history, the definition of Libertarian policy being that it increases the freedom of the people. Though the right and left have been imposing some authoritarian ideological policies, there is still an undercurrent of Libertarianism that is gradually gaining traction with the aid of these good presidents:

George Washington - founded the first fully democratic presidential country in the world.

Our system of government is decidedly not "fully democratic".

Oh, and marijuana is still illegal, classed right up their with heroin by the federal government.

IP Logged

N567

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:49pm:

Oh, and marijuana is still illegal, classed right up their with heroin by the federal government.

Of course, with the authoritarian ideological policies imposed by the right and left, the USA is not yet fully democratic, but there is nonetheless an undercurrent of Libertarnianism. We just have to help Libertarnianism gain more momentum. And Marijuana has already been legalized in some states, according to this map indicating the locations where the drug is legal in blue:

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)#Legal_status

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:49pm:

His list begs the question of whether or not all those accomplishments can be credited to what we now call 'libertarianism'.

I would love to hear somebody take the list on piece by piece to challenge and then decide just what political ideology should gain the credit. I don't have the energy right now but you might want to start doing it when you're left alone on the forum again this afternoon.

IP Logged

N567

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
His list begs the question of whether or not all those accomplishments can be credited to what we now call 'libertarianism'.

I would love to hear somebody take the list on piece by piece to challenge and then decide just what political ideology should gain the credit. I don't have the energy right now but you might want to start doing it when you're left alone on the forum again this afternoon.

Well the presidents who create those deregulation policies may not officially be Libertarian as far as their party membership is concerned, but any form of deregulation is Libertarian because that is the definition of our movement: to deregulate or eliminate unnecessary regulations.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
N567 wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 1:55pm:
Of course, with the authoritarian ideological policies imposed by the right and left, the USA is not yet fully democratic, but there is nonetheless an undercurrent of Libertarnianism.
Libertarians do not advocate for "fully democratic" forms of government. The classical liberals who are our intellectual forbears designed the U.S. government to be democratic only in very few ways, the most important being the democratic election of U.S. Representatives.

North Korea is "fully democratic".

IP Logged

N567

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:01pm:
Libertarians do not advocate for "fully democratic" forms of government. The classical liberals who are our intellectual forbears designed the U.S. government to be democratic only very few ways, the most important being the democratic election of U.S. Representatives.

North Korea is "fully democratic".

Why is North Korea fully democratic? It is a totalitarian communist state.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
N567 wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:00pm:
Well the presidents who create those deregulation policies may not officially be Libertarian as far as their party membership is concerned, but any form of deregulation is Libertarian because that is the definition of our movement: to deregulate or eliminate unnecessary regulations.

I'm obviously not questioning whether they were libertarian presidents or not. Obviously they weren't and none will ever be without some necessary changes to the LP agenda.

I'm questioning whether the accomplishments listed are libertarian in nature. I submit that many aren't.

It needs to be analyzed in detail with each example taken as a specific. Like I say, I don't have the energy, but why don't you try to stand behind your ideas for us?

The main point is, all those accomplishments, good or bad, can be accomplished without any libertarian input. Most are actually socially responsible change. Imagine that!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
N567 wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:00pm:
A government of equally applied laws is what libertarians want. That would include no regulations at all except a government keeping the value of money regular and making trade between the states regular (that means free trade in modern terms).

IP Logged

N567

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm obviously not questioning whether they were libertarian presidents or not. Obviously they weren't and none will ever be without some necessary changes to the LP agenda.

I'm questioning whether the accomplishments listed are libertarian in nature. I submit that many aren't.

It needs to be analyzed in detail with each example taken as a specific. Like I say, I don't have the energy, but why don't you try to stand behind your ideas for us?

The main point is, all those accomplishments, good or bad, can be accomplished without any libertarian input. Most are actually socially responsible change. Imagine that!

Jeff wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:04pm:
A government of equally applied laws is what libertarians want. That would include no regulations at all except a government keeping the value of money regular and making trade between the states regular (that means free trade in modern terms).

At least we have more deregulation and more freedom than any other country in the world. I have read about the policies of other countries, and they do not deregulate as much as each successive US president, so we may not be Libertarian yet but a degree of deregulation is better than nothing, or better than Authoritarian/Totalitarian governments.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Policies of US Presidents
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy