Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why Globalization is a Problem
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why Globalization is a Problem (Read 1431 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why Globalization is a Problem
Reply #10 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 8:15am
Print Post  
dook wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:37pm:
If you put a frog in a warm pot of water and slowly turn up the heat, he won't notice he's being cooked. We have been incrementally moving towards a one world government for decades.
Who do you think will head it up?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
dook wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:37pm:
If you put a frog in a warm pot of water and slowly turn up the heat, he won't notice he's being cooked. We have been incrementally moving towards a one world government for decades.

Yes.  George Bush (41) spoke about the "New World Order".

"A NEW WORLD ORDER - where diverse nations are drawn together in common cause to achieve the universal aspirations of mankind - peace, security, freedom, and the rule of law. Such is a world worthy of our struggle and worthy of our children's future."

I think Bush secretly hoped that the US would be supreme commander of the New World Order.

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:12am:
When the ailing US hegemony crumbles, who do you see emerging as the dominant leader of the New World order?

I see the US as the last in a string of top global empires which have been allied with and then left by the international financial elites, in a process of 'pump and dump' of national bubbles over the last 5 centuries.  (Spain, the Netherlands, Britain, US.)  The bankers will probably find someone else next.  My bet is on India rather than China, for a number of reasons.

We have to guard against extremist views here.  The 'pumping' part is not totally hyperbole.  The bankers will find a strong-enough, if not the strongest, country for the next imperial center.  The country has genuine strength to start with.  It's just that, with the perverse incentives at the top of the world's imperial system, the country always declines and becomes unsuitable for top-dog status.

Also, the bankers are not totally disloyal.  With the exception of Spain, has-been top empires have suffered soft rather than hard landings with the loss of their status, and this trend looks like it will continue into the next transition.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 1:11am
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:16pm:
I see the US as the last in a string of top global empires which have been allied with and then left by the international financial elites, in a process of 'pump and dump' of national bubbles over the last 5 centuries...    My bet is on India rather than China, for a number of reasons.

India.  Interesting call.  India HAS been making overtures,  stockpiling metals...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 8:15am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 1:11am:
India.  Interesting call.  India HAS been making overtures,  stockpiling metals...
Probably building more nuclear bombs and missiles to deliver them...

Anyway, I think most of the gold flowing into India is being bought by private individuals. Not to say the government couldn't decide to confiscate it all.

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 9:17am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 1:11am:

The chief reason for me to think the financiers will choose India is that at least since the establishment of the central bank in the Dutch empire, they've not chosen the strongest growth country that hadn't been financially inflated -- they've chosen the 2nd strongest.  (Preferring England over France, and the US over Germany.)

I speculate that the reason is that the strongest growth country has not enough incentives to accommodate the financiers -- they're looking to take over anyway, so they'll do it their way.  On the other hand, the 2nd strongest country needs all the help it can get to help it out-compete its rival.  Plus, the strongest country has been something of a competitor against the current top-dog, so is more cynical about the glory and honor of the world system.

The signs are everywhere.  The US made a special nuclear-arms exception to please the Indians in the 90s.  India is one of the few significant populations with a positive view of the US.  The US has been making things difficult on the international stage for China for decades.

It's early days yet.  India is clearly not ready today.  Another problem (in real politik terms) is that all modern global hegemons  have been white Christian countries so far.  Will the same tricks work with a totally different culture?  The elites have been making a push that race doesn't matter, I know, but this is 180 degrees from the Dutch and British eras, where a good part of the national bubble was based on the supposed superiority of the hegemon race.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 9:17am:
It's early days yet.  India is clearly not ready today.  Another problem (in real politik terms) is that all modern global hegemons  have been white Christian countries so far.  Will the same tricks work with a totally different culture?  The elites have been making a push that race doesn't matter, I know, but this is 180 degrees from the Dutch and British eras, where a good part of the national bubble was based on the supposed superiority of the hegemon race.

To accomplish a given goal, 2 things are required:  The will and the means.

Today, 1 rupee is only worth a little more than 1¢.  So you're right - India is a long way from becoming a global hegemon. 

I think India has the will to lead the New World Order - but not the means.  Not yet.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 12:18pm:
To accomplish a given goal, 2 things are required:  The will and the means.

Today, 1 rupee is only worth a little more than 1¢.  So you're right - India is a long way from becoming a global hegemon. 

I think India has the will to lead the New World Order - but not the means.  Not yet.
Having a global hegemon is not anything New, provided you believe there have been global hegemons in the past...

Post WWII America hardly led or dominated the Soviet Union or Communist China and in fact left much of the world alone, unless the Communists were trying to subvert another government somewhere and subject more people to Communist tyranny.

What used to be called "the Free World" willingly aligned themselves with the U.S. and helped fight against the Communist tyranny they feared.

I thought that "New World Order" meant having a global government, not a hegemon.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 2:17pm:
..I thought that "New World Order" meant having a global government, not a hegemon.

The New World Order was envisioned to be a totalitarian world government comprised by a secretive power elite.

This threatened to be an anti-Christian governing body so naturally the evangelicals voiced opposition to the plan.   

As long as Trump is in power, I think the New World Order is on the back-burner.

Trump is not going to play footsies with the Europeans.   He's made that quite clear. (imo)

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 12:26pm:
The New World Order was envisioned to be a totalitarian world government comprised by a secretive power elite.

This threatened to be an anti-Christian governing body so naturally the evangelicals voiced opposition to the plan.   

As long as Trump is in power, I think the New World Order is on the back-burner.

Trump is not going to play footsies with the Europeans.   He's made that quite clear. (imo)
What it threatens to be is a governing body completely divorced from the people it governs, as you say, a tyranny, but it's not just Christians who oppose tyranny Chief.

Libertarians of all Faiths and no faith oppose tyranny too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why Globalization is a Problem
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy