Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How to Fund Government without Resorting to Robbery
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How to Fund Government without Resorting to Robbery (Read 944 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: How to Fund Government without Resorting to Robbery
Reply #140 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 8:02am
Print Post  
GEMorton wrote on Sep 7th, 2018 at 8:22pm:
Compare, "dividends shall be apportioned according to the number of shares held by each stockholder."

Right, good example. I own one share, I get $1. You own ten shares, you get $10.

The payment is equal at $1/share.

An apportioned tax is equal in the same way, if I pay $1000, you pay $1000. The tax is equal at $1000/person.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #141 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 7th, 2018 at 4:34pm:
The most common libertarian position is that the government should be severely and strictly limited, which will drastically reduce its costs.

Some amounts you might hear from libertarians are "the absolute minimum", or maybe "couldn't enough be raised by a low uniform tariff on imports?"

I've never heard any libertarian say that.  What they do say is:
Quote:
When you pay taxes, do you do so voluntarily? Or do you do so because you are forced to do so?

If you don’t pay your taxes, what will happen? Will you be fined further? Harassed by the IRS or other government entities? Jailed?

The Libertarian Party is fundamentally opposed to the use of force to coerce people into doing anything. We think it is inherently wrong and should have no role in a civilized society.

Thus we think that government forcing people to pay taxes is inherently wrong.

Libertarians advocate for voluntary exchange, where people are free to make their own choices about what to do with their lives, their time, their bodies, their livelihood, and their dollars.

If Americans want to give money to the government for one reason or another, they should be free to do so. If Americans prefer to spend their money on other things, then they should be free to do that also.

https://www.lp.org/issues/taxes/

Remarkably similar to what I have been saying all along, no?

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #142 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Sep 8th, 2018 at 10:04am:
I've never heard any libertarian say that.  What they do say is:
https://www.lp.org/issues/taxes/

Remarkably similar to what I have been saying all along, no?

Yes, the LP agrees with you that taxes are theft, which limits their appeal to a small fringe group of idealistic foolish anarchists.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How to Fund Government without Resorting to Robbery
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy